Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

"Oi Mate, can you do mine as well?" [/cleverly referencing another trending thread...]

They are both waxes, one being more synthetic than the other. I just prefer putting on two different rather than the same twice. The car lack takes c 48 hours to cure hence the reason I put it on last. It does also seem to take "top up" quick detailers better. I accept you could say whats the point of putting the first wax on and I have no science to offer other than this has worked for me for a fair few years and just feels better to the touch.

ps the wax was soft from being sat in the sun, I only polish when I can top up my tan :grin:

JonT, have you used an LED for your instrument cluster?

I'm thinking of doing so. Tore has one for the centre console but not the instrument cluster itself.

:thumbs:

No, it's on my list of todo's. I have checked his led kit out but I don't need the side indicators as mine are already led.

I guess I'm putting off going full led as I'm trying to justify the cost of replacing all of the. Rear light units first. The problem is that most are worse then mine but I've seen new ones fitted and there is no comparison :wack:

Well I got chance to finish most of the exterior / paintwork clean today.....

- door, bonnet and engine shuts waxed
- sunroof cleaned and waxed
- all rubber treated
- tyres dressed
- exterior glass cleaned

So that only leaves the exhaust tips to polish (they don't really need it) and then onto the interior another day....

check straps still original and working perfectly

for the rubber...

for the other rubber....

I don't usually see the car with the spoiler up so thought I would take some pics whilst the sun was shining (Phone quality though).....

I was in full flow but then got interrupted when my 4 year old decided she would kick a door in the house....... ouch

ps I had a run today which took me on route over lots of various sized speed bumps :pc: but I'm pleased to confirm the 15mm rear spacers are definitely not rubbng :thumb:

993 Rear Seat Removal / Replacement

Finally got around to removing the Midnight Blue rear seats and replacing with black. I had to be patient to find black leather as most 993's rear seat are not leather :hand:

Not a hard job to do at all, just warm in there so be prepared to sweat a little.

The hardest bit is removing one large industrial sized screw on each backrest. You will probably need an impact driver to get it started but once turned a little removes easily as the threads should be greased....

I used a Sealey Professional Impact Driver kit which has a suitable large flat headed bit to use.....

Next drop the seat backs down.

Remove the two lower back cover screws to allow easier removing / replacing the rear seat fabric tail later....

There are now two hidden screws on each seatback which secure the carpet in place.......

outside....

and you can see the two inner ones where they indent the carpet...

Once these screws are removed you can slide the carpet on the back of the seatrest from under the back cover......

This will reveal an elasticated strip which is secured in place with another screw. Be careful as you remove this as the elastic will spring back with a bit of force once the screw is loose...

You can now remove the seat backs by sliding out the outside edge and away from the centre which is held by a pin on the backrest at the inner pivot point......

Here is the inner pivot point hole. The pin on the seat back simply eases out of the hole as you remove so you need to ease to the outside as you pull away...

nb you may pull away a cover from the outer screw point, make sure this is put back in place...

The lower seat bases are simply held on with glue. The problem is its the thickest glue you are ever likely to encounter :dont know:

I removed by simply tugging a bit at a time and using a stanley knife to cut through, inch by inch. It was a warm day though, any colder you may need to use a heat gun to make the glue elastic enough to pull away and cut....

Replacement is simply the reversal.

So I have now got front and rear black seats to finish off my better balanced two tone interior.....

I'm getting very lazy in my old age, can't be bothered fitting the snuck fitting indoor cover most of the time so bought a sheet to simply throw over......... No old bed sheet to be seen :hand:

nice work :thumb:

Nice work Jon. With a tortoise running loose in the garden I thought you'd use Turtle Wax :coat:
Re your check straps does the fact one is central to the slot and the other offset represent the fact these cars were handbuilt I wonder :?:

ps I had a run today which took me on route over lots of various sized speed bumps PC but I'm pleased to confirm the 15mm rear spacers are definitely not rubbng Thumb

Did you use a torque wrench when fitting the spacers - if so what was it set to - or did you just use neat muscle?

I had a great day at the Silverstone Classic yesturday, it was HOT :eek:

Sympathies to those who had not managed to find an air conditioned room the night before, the tales of lack of sleep were common :grin:

It was really good to meet some members on here for the first time, thanks for saying hello :bye:

Really sorry I could not make today (Sunday) but will definitely make a full weekend of it next year......

I was parked next to this beast, it brought plenty of attention throughout the day.....

As always some great 993's on show including genuine RS's.....

but no GT2's :sad:

made up for by this beauty ........

and as always a great turn out of various Porsche on show....

JONTTT - I fitted my set of 15mm rear spacers this weekend and the tyres (Pirelli) rubbed on the arches at every single bump so they must come off sadly. My 993 C4S has the original suspension set up so that might be a bit tired but the guy at JZM from whom I bought the spacers said that 15mm should be OK but thought that maybe the Pirellis were to blame. He said Continental have a slightly narrower wall and could work.

The alternative - as has been documented - is rolling the arches. Has anyone had experience of this?
:?:

I have Contis, PPS10 so lowered, 15mm rubbed, so I rolled the arches, this isnt an exact science, you have to suck it and see

You could as a little test run the tyres with less pressure (c60% normal). You may be surprised and they won't rub, if that's the case you would have a chance of stopping them rubbing with a different brand of tyre. If they still rub it's not likely ps don't forget to pump the tyres back up :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back