Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

WTF £449 for a door mirror glass??? OPC record all calls !

F15HAR

Spa-Francorchamps
Just spoken with the parts manager at Porsche Newcastle to enquire on the cost of a new O/S door mirror glass for my partners 2006 Cayenne.
The mirror is heated, and that's about as interesting as it gets....
The parts manager seemed as shocked as me at the quoted price of £421 plus VAT; with his discretionary discount he brought the price down to £374 plus vat.... I queried whether that was the whole assembly or just the mirror, and he confirmed that was just for the mirror glass!
The parts manager was very diplomatic and explained that all conversations at all OPC's are recorded and monitored for "staff training, and customer service", but was not surprised when I declined ordering the part.
£449 is quite a bargain for 6" piece of mirror..

Great way to promote the Porsche brand, think of a price and multiply it by 20.

Are you sure that is just heated and not dimming? I have looked at a replacement one for my Range Rover and that was about £200. Heated only was massively cheaper.

MC

From £5- £20 on eBay depending on year :dont know:

Apparently it's heated and auto dimming which has an LCD element to it, which I had no idea but was no doubt expensive when ordered.
It's of little use as it's rarely driven in the dark, and there's no way on earth I would pay£449 for a replacement door mirror glass.
Managed to source an as new replacement from a breakers in middlesboro for £110 delivered.
The glass on E bay is flat, whereas the mirror is curved towards both sides, they don't come with the backing plate..the glass isn't just bonded to the backing plate but also has fine metal clips holding it on, so looks pretty impossible to remove one from backing plate and adhere another one to it.
I tried that on a golf that was just simply the mirror with no heating element and decided it was far far easier to buy the whole unit with the backing plate.

I had the same shock over ten years ago when I needed to replace the glass in an E39 5-series. The auto-dimming heated glass was low-hundreds even back then and that was on a humble BMW. With that experience I'd actually want a discount for a car with this option and would certainly never spec. It from new...

£145 for the plastic cover for the mirror on my 320d. It was painted though!

With depreciation bringing many cars within the Porsche marque down into the low teens, such as with our Cayenne, it is easy to see why they are simply written off by Insurance companies for even the most minor of damage.
With over 500,000 Cayenne's produced I can't imagine they can claim that any parts are rare, and indeed most are VW parts anyway.
Surely the ridiculously over-inflated prices of parts simply reduces the second-hand buyer pool and thereby pushes prices down even further?
If someone has picked up a high mileage Cayenne for £5-6k they will be in for a bit of a shock if anything goes wrong.
How anyone can think that £449 is reasonable for a mirror with green liquid behind it stuck on a plastic frame, 3 wires and a heating element, is truly beyond me.
You can buy a smart phone with oodles of technology for a little more than £100, all the mirror does is run a current through a liquid to reduce glare..
Less and less impressed with the Porsche "experience", but still loving the cars!

It's the auto dimming part that raises the cost. I had to pay over £620 for two mirror glass items for my car last year because of the auto dimming part. I didn't want to replace with normal glass so I had to buy them.

F15HAR said:
With depreciation bringing many cars within the Porsche marque down into the low teens, such as with our Cayenne, it is easy to see why they are simply written off by Insurance companies for even the most minor of damage.
With over 500,000 Cayenne's produced I can't imagine they can claim that any parts are rare, and indeed most are VW parts anyway.
Surely the ridiculously over-inflated prices of parts simply reduces the second-hand buyer pool and thereby pushes prices down even further?
If someone has picked up a high mileage Cayenne for £5-6k they will be in for a bit of a shock if anything goes wrong.
How anyone can think that £449 is reasonable for a mirror with green liquid behind it stuck on a plastic frame, 3 wires and a heating element, is truly beyond me.
You can buy a smart phone with oodles of technology for a little more than £100, all the mirror does is run a current through a liquid to reduce glare..

I part ex'd my cayenne s 6 months ago for an X5 for my wife. The salesman looked embarrassed when he offered my £4.5K for it. I wasn t upset at all. I knew it needed the valve case in the autobox replacing, intermittent faults on 2 coil packs, coolant pipe was leaking where it entered the engine, tipbox wouldn't always respond to button inputs, exhaust on the way out to name but a few of her faults.

The repair bill for the lot came to more than i was offered as a trade in.

I had had the car for 7 years and managed to get her to 165,000 miles though. I still think i got value for money though.

Apart from being more reliable, the X5 cannot even come close to comparing with the Cayenne.
Less and less impressed with the Porsche "experience", but still loving the cars!

Fox Terrier said:
£145 for the plastic cover for the mirror on my 320d. It was painted though!

...£127 plastic cover, painted and fitted on our X3.

The family Panda is soooo much cheaper to run :D

The technology in the auto dimming mirror is basic at best, basically a laminated mirror with fluid between the layers that an electrical current is passed through.
For £450 you can buy a 50" smart LCD TV from John Lewis with a 5 year warranty.. From Porsche you can get a 6" mirror.. bargain.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back