Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which GT3 engine oil?

Stuart said:
Nick, do you prefer the 10w50 you're using now or the 10w60? I'm currently using 10w60 as per Fearnsport but about to do a change.

I'm using Millers NT 10W50 this season as I seem to have acquired 50 litres at an "advantageous" price - I have about 20 litres left but happy with it so far. As said in a previous post, I stuck some in the E55 and it hasn't required a top-up after 8K miles, unlike the previous 0W40.

Double ester base oil for track use.
Opeoil or the oilman
:thumb:
Change oil+filter often.
You need to pick the right oil as it can affect oil pressure and put some stress on the oil pump.
Trackday is not racing so you need to find an oil suitable for your road use too.

Have now switched to Mobil 10w60 and will report back if I notice any difference in oil consumption or anything else :thumb:

Wont your warranty be void now?

I've blown up 5 engines in my time and not one of them went bang because of the type of oil used ..... rather, not having enough. Go figure.

in summary: just use a few litres of 'crisp and dry', it'll be fine. Failing that, what is says in the handbook. :thumb:

quattrosteph said:
Double ester base oil for track use.
Opeoil or the oilman
:thumb:
Change oil+filter often.
You need to pick the right oil as it can affect oil pressure and put some stress on the oil pump.
Trackday is not racing so you need to find an oil suitable for your road use too.

Stress the oil pump?

What a old of old tosh.

Oil pump will work harder to push higher viscosity oil . Logic.
An oil with the right viscosity will travel fast everywhere on start up.
The biggest wear on an engine is during the first few secondes after start up so you don't want something too thick for road/fast road use.......
Using much higher viscosity oil can have negative effects : power will go down a little bit, can cause problems with hydraulic lifters, engine temp tend to go up.
These days we have a large choice of top quality oil .
Higher in grade doesn't mean better for a road car anyway.
For pure racing cars it is different.

On the face of it your contention of increased stress has some merit, however the oil pump is never that stressed because it cannot pump at more than 5 bar due to the pressure relief valve. The contention that thinner oil somehow travels faster is nonsense - a fluid in a given size bore when already primed and pumped at the same rate doesn't flow faster or slower depending on viscosity. It also can't negatively impact hydraulic lifters in either operation or lifespan. What a less viscous oil does do is leave a thinner coating of oil as it settles in a cooling engine & that can mean a greater likelihood that the oil film can break down before it is replenished by the pump. My ECU doesn't turn on the coil packs until it sees 2 bar of oil pressure for precisely this reason.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ Black Friday promo code OIL50
Just bought 3 x 5 litres Mobil 1 10-60 for £110 delivered for GT3 and Westy oil change over the winter :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back