Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil change

delboy37

Hi guys, looking for an opinion on oil ,I am the proud owner of a 1987 911 which has done 85000 miles always used semi synthetic oil in her but am considering using Valvoline synpower fully synthetic 5w-40 oil it is approved by Porsche what are your thoughts ? cheers guys Delboy :?:

The general advice on the 3.2 engines is to use part synthetic not totally synthetic oils due to their age and their less fine tolerances when compared to modern engines.

For normal road use 10W-40 or 15W-40 with maybe 20W-50 if you do a lot of high speed/track use.

I personally use Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 part synthetic in my 3.2 Clubsport.

for an SC and 3.2 with milage until 100.000 mi a half synthetic 10W40 oil is fine. above it's better to use special oils.
Actual 10w40 oils are made for modern engines and have additives especially for engines not older than 20 years. Certain additives that oils used to have and older engines need are not allowed for the environment.
The Porsche classics dept itself has recognised this and uses 10w60 fullsynth oils with certain additives for high milage engines.
I would use the Porsche classic oil or Mobil 1 10W60 Extended Life.

And remember to flush the oil system when shifting to a completely different type of oil, because mixing them is not a good idea.

porsche-classic-motoroil-02-673x427.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back