Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

Yep was a real gamble but paid off big style. To be fair the seller turned out to be very genuine, great comms and cost me no extra other than patience in the end :thumb:

i've just got to find a way to get the comfort seats in the garage loft now :nooo:

Glad it worked out ok in the end.

Now watch as the interior gradually moves over to fully black. Only a matter of time :grin:

New seats look like an excellent upgrade.

dommorton said:
Glad it worked out ok in the end.

Now watch as the interior gradually moves over to fully black. Only a matter of time :grin:

:hand:

Have really enjoyed driving the 993 as a daily around Liverpool this week........time to treat it to a clean and take the opportunity to remove the 911-50 sticker I put on last year. It was more time consuming to remove the sticky stuff than I thought it would be but after a quick polish and wax it was back to original.

and the badge now has pride of place on my new garage workbench....

of course I then had to take the car for a quick twilight blast to ensure it was completely dry before going back in the garage :thumb:

I made a bit of progress over the weekend fitting out my garage. Its a bit of a weird shape as it narrows with the boundary line towards the back. It is long enough to allow a workbench and storage (my main workbench is in the man-shed) and wide enough as you enter to allow easy egress from the car and access to the passenger side if needed.

Peek a boo....

Its never going to be the best garage in the world but with a bit of planning I can make it more than suitable. I just need to figure out how to get 8 sets of wheels on the walls :dont know: I'm waiting for delivery of a wall frame from Germany to try out.

I'm thinking of painting the brick walls (to help seal them, keep down dust to a minimum) and to brighten up (with additional lighting) but have never painted brick before :?:

Painting brick is not a problem. You can use any paint but the best finish will be with an exterior masonry paint like sandtex. You'll find that the brick will soak up the first coat like blotting paper.

use Sandtex, mix it in with Fairy washing up, put loads in mix it up so its all frothy and it will apply easier, do this for the first coat only, works wonders, just looks a bit odd initially.

Mmmmmm we have 10 litres of powder blue bathroom paint left over (don't ask :roll: ) that may be worth a go, if it does not work it can act as a primer :dont know:

I treated myself to a new car jack today. Partly because I cannot find my old one :roll: but was getting on a bit (I inherited it) and it was never that good anyway (man logic at its best :thumb: ).

I went for the Arcan item from Costco as Arcan have a good rep and Costco cannot be faulted for customer service if there are any issues and at a good price (c£120 I think, may have been a bit cheaper in store).

From the Costco website:
http://www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/cos_8,cos_8.5,cos_8.5.10/107255

This heavy duty Arcan aluminium service Jack features side mounted handles, making it easier to position the Jack. With a quick lift design and 5 pumps, this Jack has a capacity of 1,814kg. The wide track wheels and casters provide easy mobility and the rubber sadle pad and foam bumper pad protects the vehicle from getting damaged.

Specification

Dual return springs
Capacity: 1.8 Ton
Material: Aluminium
Min height: 8.9cm
Max height: 49.8cm
Weight: 24kg
Dimensions: H 81 x W 36 x D 19 cm

The handle is easily removable via one screw for easy storage...

I've not used it on the car yet but first impressions are fantastic compared to my old one. :judge:

I've also stored my car manuals in the garage now. The workshop manual from Porsche takes 2 arch lever files to print out fully :eek: but can be downloaded in PDF format from my manuals thread in the 993 FAQ section....

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=82579

I finally got around to fitting the 15mm rear spacers (only took me about 10 months lol)

Before....

After.....

and I got to play with my new jack :D

You may remember I fitted 20mm spacers to the rear last year but these where too wide and rubbed the rear arch.

I managed to go on a quick run on the same route as I experienced problems last year and no rubbing :thumb: However this was in Friday rush hour traffic so not the best way to test. I will judge properly in the coming weeks (although i am about to go on holiday which may delay matters :bandit: )

jonttt said:

They are originally made by ETA Beta (Italian manufacturer of the centres) but have been completely refurbished to with barrels / lips to give the following sizes:

Front 18x9 ET49
Rear 18x11 ET52

These compare to the OEM Widebody Turbo Twists which are:

Front 18x8 ET52
Rear 18x10 ET40

This means that they will "sit" compared to the Hollow Spokes as follows.....

Front -10mm inner clearance; +16mm outer
Rear -25mm inner clearance; +1mm outer

I have no real concerns over the rears as they will need the 15mm spacers I've already bought for the Hollow Spokes which will give...

Rear -10mm inner clearance; +16mm outer

I'm hoping losing c10mm inner clearance will not be an issue as its within tolerance for most cars but again I'm still learning about the 993.

The fronts are the bigger concern for two reasons. Firstly the offset of +16mm outer clearance. Again as I'm not used to the 993 this may be pushing it a bit but normally you are safe with +15mm over OEM spec wheels without considering suspension setup, camber settings, wheel stretch etc.... so I'm hoping this will be OK. Secondly is the 9inch width. The 4 wheel drive 993 already has relatively heavy steering so I'm not looking to do anything to make this heavier. Fitting wider front tyres would likely make the steering heavier so I'm hoping I can get away with the same fronts as I have on now (I think they are 225's). I may need a little stretch anyway with the offset ?

I'll not be trying these on the car or considering tyre specs for a few months in all probability given everything else I have going on at the moment (new job on top of house move :roll: ) but it gives me something to look forward to fiddling with in the new year.

I can't wait to see what these look like on a WB 993. They are very similar to the RH/Speedline split rims so I'm hoping they look as good / better with the deep dishes.

After buying myself a new tool :grin: it was a great excuse to take a break from gardening to trial fit the front Eta Beta.

mmmmmm will be tight but I think once the wheel is dropped back down to normal camber they will just fit (he states with eyes closed :eek: ).....

So bottom line is these are .......... going to be tight. I think I'll never know without fitting rubber, just got to decide whether to go for 225 stretch or 235's. I'm edging to 235's.

ps the inner clearance to the big reds is very tight but there is clearance and the wheels rotate fine, phew.

I dont think it matters what size tyres you are going to fit, what would worry me is the wheel is clearly outside the arch, I know the car being jacked up will twist it slightly but as a guide my fronts with a 7mm shim are still at least 15mm inside the arch at the top

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back