Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 Technology: 'Coasting' feature

No, buy something older and gas guzzly :thumb:

Coasting

I have an early 991s PDK (Jan 2012) and immediately noticed the "Coasting" function where the car seemed to just coast when I took my foot off the accelerator. A few friends who have driven it have also commented on it.The car has since been in for a few software updates and now doesn't seem to coast any more.

I was wondering if Porsche has discreetly removed this function for some reason.

Any thoughts?

Re: Coasting

waldorfsalad said:
I was wondering if Porsche has discreetly removed this function for some reason.

Any thoughts?

My new C4S PDK is about 5 weeks old. It has the coasting function as standard.

Found it a little annoying, maybe even disconcerting at first, but now getting used to it. Seems like a useful and beneficial feature.

Well following on from the mpg thread earlier, all this extra technology and cost, has hardly brought about any real life improvement in efficiency, over the previous model...

Aside from what can be gained under lab conditions only? :?:

Roro said:
Ahaahaaa... No, mummy and daddy paid for all my fuel, obviously.... 8)

Fair enough, I suppose we all should be getting used to this tree-hugging hippie economy crap by now... :roll:

Im in full agreement with Roro.......if it wasn't for the fact the every manufacturer has to meet the EU edicts and American emission laws Porsche would have evolved our favourite marque in different direction to where we are now...

I get some of these changes technically but actually find them very 'irritating' in real life .... I test drove the 991 4S a while back when I was looking to change my car , but the stop/start function at roundabouts and junctions got right on my t1ts... I thought I had stalled it initially !!!
It's not in the character of a car like Porsche(IMHO) I know it can be overridden but even so! Coupled with synthesised engine noises and side mirrors sprouting from the doors put me off it it at the time.it has since grown on me a bit but not enough yet.....
As for this ' coasting ' feature I can understand T4's excellent description( as usual) but fail to see that would be in the slightest bit interested in this ?

Picture the scene.... Pull up somewhere .... A group of small boys gather looking at your car( as they do & if the truth is know ,we all did when we were young....) .... Not one of them has ever asked me .... ' has it got the 'Coasting feature Mister..... Oh yeah , and stop/start ... Has it.?) but they all ask 'how fast will it go??'.... Funny that.... They're just not with it ....!'

Give me a proper car any day......

T

Getting back to the issue of whether the "Coasting" feature is working, has anyone experienced it apparently not working after a software update?

Is there an way you can check if it is working?

Comments/advice will be appreciated.

waldorfsalad said:
Getting back to the issue of whether the "Coasting" feature is working, has anyone experienced it apparently not working after a software update?

Is there an way you can check if it is working?

Comments/advice will be appreciated.

Try driving at 70mph, take your foot off the accelerator and see how quickly it slows down..

Manually select 7th gear, repeat exercise and compare results??

waldorfsalad said:
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

if no joy, then it's back to your OPC

since Coasting is just a software feature

get them to take you out in a 991 that has Coasting working

:oops: Doh! its easy actually, drive at 70, take your foot off the accelerator, and the revs should drop to around idle..

If seventh was engaged the revs would stay at the same level as if driven!! :thumbs:

Just tried it out. I took my foot off the accelerator at 70 (and other speeds) and most of the time (about 60%) the rev counter only dropped a little. The rest of the time (40%) it dropped to the idle speed (about 600 rpm).

So it's a bit inconclusive. I was wondering if the computer monitors your driving style (amongst other things) before deciding whether to deploy the coasting function. However, it still seems to operate less often than when I first had the car.

Perhaps someone can try the same test to see what results they get.

Otherwise I will contact my OPC.

Thanks for the advice.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back