Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A question about Performance Tyres? Ask the Michelin Expert!

Status
Not open for further replies.
911UK said:
Jamie

Enclosed is another question that has come through.

Condor said:
My 2004 996 turbo is currently with an OPC.

They have suggested I replace my 7 year old rear tyres, and 11 year old front tyres, even though there is 5 to 6mm tread. The service technician says the N rated tyres are a little harder in material, and therefore likely to crack.

The car is 10 years old & has only covered 20,000 miles.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Well..
I'd tend to disagree that N rated tyres are "harder". but that's a separate issue. Michelin's advice is change the tyres at 10 years, simply as the compound's and rubber do naturally oxidise and perish.
If they are Michelin's that is...
It may seem like it's a waste of good tyres, however as it's the only point of contact with the road, that little bit of grip loss can mean a big difference in grip level.

It's not illegal or really dangerous. It's just an advisory point of view. Look for any cracks or splits in the rubber too, as that's often the limiting factor.
We can't make rubber that doesn't age. Well we can, but it's plastic. Not very grippy mid corner!

John H said:
Jamie - many thanks for all your responses to date... :thumb:

I have just one query - when do you realistically predict MPSS being N-rated for my 997 Carrera GTS?

I'm in no rush having just replaced my original Bridgestones with Michelin PS2 N2's all round, but would like to know whether the Super Sports will be available for next time?

Oh, and would also like to know why the recommended pressures on the GTS are 34/37 psi as opposed to 33/39 on my previous 997 C2S models? Is it something to do with the upgraded suspension?

Your observations would be gratefully received... :worship:

Well.. MPSS is an ongoing issue, with meetings and plans in Stuttgart this week as we speak. I know we have plans to replace PS2 in 2015, hopefully with PSS.. so by the time the Bridgestone come off things should be settled.. Famous last words..

as for the pressures, it will just be that the natural balance of the car will work better with the amended pressures. Yes pressures carry a load, but they also shape and exert forces on the tyre. Hence for your car, as part of the development testing, we will have tested with Porsche the different pressure to see what worked best.

Many thanks... :thumbs:

Hi Jamie, do you have any updates as to future availability of MPSC 2 in 996GT3 sizes, ie 235/40/18 and 295/30/18?

Thanks.

Jamie

One final question, regarding a great area of debate on 993 18" rear tyre pressures

993's run most of the range with front and rear tyres pressures at 36psi

the 17"s tyre combo is regarded as the best set up with 255/40/17 at 36psi

How when you run 18's on the back the Porsche advised tyre pressure is a whopping 44psi which had a significant impact on the ride quality, which become very hard in comparison to running 17's more than just the swap up to 265/30/18 or 285/30/18 rubber and a lower profile tyre

Many owners find the 44psi setting creates a ride firmness that is far too harsh

The question is multi-part, why such a high PSI level just from going up from 17's on 255/40/17 on 36 PSI to 18's on 265/30/18 or 285/30/18 on 44 PSI ?

We know that running tyres under inflated can cause problems, but can the rears be run safely and comfortable at pressures down from 44psi, towards maybe 40psi or 36 PSI as run on the 17's?

What is the solution to this ? as a recent survey of 993 owners running 18's found that their average PSI was set on average at around 40PSI or lower than the OEM 44PSI as the ride setting was too harsh

Also for Track Days, you normally recommend running tyres HOT about 3 PSI higher, but taking the 44psi up to 47psi then puts it VERY close to the Tyre max of 50 PSI (stamped on the side of the tyre!)

So what's the Tyre pressure advice for 18s 265/30/18 or 285/30/18 on a 993 ? keep it at the OEM COLD 44 psi or are there other safe options ?

thanks

I have a 996 turbo and currently have Pirelli on the car if I wanted to switch to Michelin do I have to change front and rear at the same time or just on the one axles have 225 40 18 n4 on the front and 295 30 18 n4 on the rear

My tyres have 3mm tread front and 5mm on the rear

Many thanks

Gary996 said:
I have a 996 turbo and currently have Pirelli on the car if I wanted to switch to Michelin do I have to change front and rear at the same time or just on the one axles have 225 40 18 n4 on the front and 295 30 18 n4 on the rear

My tyres have 3mm tread front and 5mm on the rear

Many thanks

Gary
In our ivory corporate towers (hardly..) we would say four at once.. however, I am realistic and honest.
I would say you will be fine to do axle pairs at a time. The only advice I would give would be what I would say to anyone. Be cautious the first few miles as it will allow you to feel the car's balance on a mixed fitment.
However as you would be fitting "N" rated tyres again, it shouldn't be miles out

Spy said:
I realise I am a little late to the party Jamie but I was hoping you could offer some advice.

Firstly, I would like to say that I am a big Michelin fan and I almost exclusively run Michelin tyres across my 4 cars (apart from the Range Rover which runs Pirelli :eek: )

I have a 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo. It is running the recommended size Michelin PS2 tyres front and back, all of which are N1 rated.

The rears will need changing soon but the fronts have plenty of life in them.

Is it advisable to keep the fronts on N1 and replace the rears with N3 rated tyres ?

Thanks

Any luck Jaimie with my questions ?

Current Tyres:

Front: 225/40 ZR18 Y (N1 PS2 - approx. 4 years old with loads of tread)
Rear: 295/30 ZR18 Y (N1 PS2 - need replacing)

Is it OK to replace the rears with N4 PS2 tyres and keep the front on N1 PS2 ?

911UK said:
Jamie

One final question, regarding a great area of debate on 993 18" rear tyre pressures

993's run most of the range with front and rear tyres pressures at 36psi

the 17"s tyre combo is regarded as the best set up with 255/40/17 at 36psi

How when you run 18's on the back the Porsche advised tyre pressure is a whopping 44psi which had a significant impact on the ride quality, which become very hard in comparison to running 17's more than just the swap up to 265/30/18 or 285/30/18 rubber and a lower profile tyre

Many owners find the 44psi setting creates a ride firmness that is far too harsh

The question is multi-part, why such a high PSI level just from going up from 17's on 255/40/17 on 36 PSI to 18's on 265/30/18 or 285/30/18 on 44 PSI ?

We know that running tyres under inflated can cause problems, but can the rears be run safely and comfortable at pressures down from 44psi, towards maybe 40psi or 36 PSI as run on the 17's?

What is the solution to this ? as a recent survey of 993 owners running 18's found that their average PSI was set on average at around 40PSI or lower than the OEM 44PSI as the ride setting was too harsh

Also for Track Days, you normally recommend running tyres HOT about 3 PSI higher, but taking the 44psi up to 47psi then puts it VERY close to the Tyre max of 50 PSI (stamped on the side of the tyre!)

So what's the Tyre pressure advice for 18s 265/30/18 or 285/30/18 on a 993 ? keep it at the OEM COLD 44 psi or are there other safe options ?

thanks

Hi

firstly, the tyre pressures on car are set for two reasons, firstly being to carry the load of the car, and also to give the tyres the appropriate settings for the balance of the car to handle well.
So breaking this down..
On 18" tyres, most of which will have been original spec on quicker 993's primarily the settings will be based upon the load and force potential generated by these cars, so naturally the 18" tyres will have a higher pressure setting. On a larger wheel with a smaller sidewall, it is often needed to run a slightly higher pressure simply as the forces are concentrated more in the junction of the sidewall and tread, meaning to reduce any fatigue potential, a little bit of pressure can improve this.
The pressure settings will reduce comfort, but equally an 18" tyre will always be less comfortable than the 17" one.
Unfortunately I can't endorse legally running lower pressures. It's the drivers choice and the drivers risk. While I'm not saying it won't work, it wont have been tested by Porsche or most tyre suppliers. Hence you will increase the tyres rolling resistance and possibly the wear will get worse.
If it works, then thats fine, but sadly I can't endorse it.
On track day pressures, then again if you are driving hard, you need the right pressures to make sure the tyres are fine under high stress. But Always bleed them down hot after a couple of steady runs, and this will stop them going through the roof and rising too high.
the 50 psi on the sidewall is a cold starting pressure, which would be higher hot. So don't worry they wont get to 50 psi and burst :)

Spy said:

Current Tyres:

hi Spy, sorry for late response..
The 295/30-18 PS4 N4 is specifically for the 996 GT3 face lift. So I'd put N3 on the rear. you can mix the N numbers but ideally use a similar evolution on the front, suffice to it being the appropriate N Number for the car..Current front for any 996 is the PS2 N3.

Michelin Tyres said:
Spy said:

Current Tyres:

hi Spy, sorry for late response..
The 295/30-18 PS4 N4 is specifically for the 996 GT3 face lift. So I'd put N3 on the rear. you can mix the N numbers but ideally use a similar evolution on the front, suffice to it being the appropriate N Number for the car..Current front for any 996 is the PS2 N3.

Thanks Jaimie.

Yes, you are right, I got confudes with the N4.

I will put N3 on the rear and keep the current N1 on front until they are worn and time to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back