Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

AH the ultimate Porsche 3.6 turbo,

I will gladly swop or trade a 993 turbo or my right Arm for one.

That would be my perfect addition to the fleet, but sadly that boat appears to have sailed even more than the 993 RS. :sad:

jonttt said:
I seem to remember you volunteering to organise a NW 911UK meet :)

Of course 993 values are so high now we may need to organise some sort of special Insurance :hand:

Leave it with me :thumb: I need to think of some venues :?: Bull's Head Mobberley (very Porsche friendly) comes to mind or perhaps somewhere more NW 'central' :?:

I think the 'Bad Boy' 3.6 is Norman Shums who IIRC is also having a 964 completely rebulit by 9M to join the turbo and rather nice white C2 he also has :what:

jonttt said:
Some pics from the Gasworth Hall Car Rally today.

A great setting for browsing the cars on show.......
Looking very nice mate

Not sure what happened here......

This one takes me back.....

and then there was this bad boy.....

Was good to catch up with Zingari who I caught sat on a deckchair eating cake :hand: and of course we chatted 993 prices :floor:
:thumb: looking very nice mate

Zingari said:
Good to see you Jon :thumb: This event needs to be attended by more 911uk chums, if the weather is good, its a great day out for £5 :thumb:

If I'd even known about this, I would have definitely been there - I love stuff like this and it's not too far away. It would have rounded off a good weekend, after 2 days at Donington for the Historic festival :thumb:

Did your seats arrive? I see the seller listed them again although this time the pictures are of painted hardbacks.

Despite the seller having used mostly the same pics. The ones he's listed now have painted Steel Grey backs.

Does he 'remanufacture' and sell these as a side line?

dommorton said:
Despite the seller having used mostly the same pics. The ones he's listed now have painted Steel Grey backs.

Does he 'remanufacture' and sell these as a side line?

It's Nessy's cousin Der Nessmeister :dont know:

Well there is a story unfolding.....

One seat arrived, the other is still in "transit" :pc:

but the seat that has arrived is damaged :x

it looks as though it has been dropped from a height landing on the top of the backrest and cracking the carbon fiber back :pc:

I think its a combination of logistics being heavy handed throwing boxes around and the seller not packaging them properly.

So far communication has been good and he has agreed to pay for the courier to collect the item and he will replace the back FOC. He has stated its all covered on his Insurance. We have agreed to wait until the second seat arrives so that I can inspect that before return of the damaged one.

Here are some quick pics I took after delivery but to be honest once I realised it was damaged it went striaght back in the box and was resealed as I lost interest in it :nooo:

I also saw the advert for the similar items by the same seller which does imply he does this as a "trade" which to be honest is better for me and makes sense that he can replace the back with a new one :thumb:

Patience is a virtue.......... lets see how things pan out :bandit:

packaging was a bit flimsy and box shows signs of being dropped......

resulting in carbon fiber being cracked.....

Jeez, what a disappointment!

Given the weight of these seats, I think the trader should have put the pair on a pallet. Last year I sold the interior of an old s-class to Borneo and fitted the lot into a pallet with ply on the sides and top. The seats were wrapped in the black shrink wrap stuff and any gaps inside were stuffed with plastic to reduce movement.

Perhaps have the guy explore this option next time?

Should carbon break that easily?

I'd be worried they are badly made. If it does that in transit, what the heck would happen in a crash :nooo:

Shame as otherwise they look great. The new matte leather looks very fresh.

The other seat has arrived ........... and its in perfect condition :)

I have therefore given this one a proper inspection and I am chuffed to bits with it. It just makes it more frustrating that the first was damaged :pc:

The second was packaged exactly the same as the first but is still in my view too flimsy. I totally agree with the comment above and I was expecting them to arrive on a pallet. This would have avoided boxes being thrown around.

Carbon Fiber is one of those strong but brittle materials ie a force applied in a certain way will crack / fracture it. I think what has clearly happened here is that the box has been thrown from a height and landed on the top. This has stressed the back of the chair (especially with the weight of the base on it) and fractured the Carbon at a "flex" point. Carbon Fiber does not flex to any real degree. In the real world use of the seats this would not happen. Having now inspected the carbon fiber properly on the undamaged seat it is very well made and thick ie not the crappy stuff you can see daylight through.

So all in all I am very pleased with the product, they wll look awesome in the car but its now down to the seller to see me happy re the damaged item..............

Good stuff.

Hope the replacement is with you soon :thumb:

Update from today......

I have spoken over the phone to the seller from Germany and the damaged seat is due to be picked up at his cost tomorrow morning, so far so good :?:

To be fair I missed 2 phone calls and picked up 2 text messages from him ( I know I do have to work sometimes :wink: ) and he seems a really nice guy. Always an interesting conversation with my none existent german and his pidgin English but he was the patient one trying to understand my accent :grin:

Re: Fabspeed Cup Airbox

jonttt said:
Fabspeed Cup Airbox

Got around to trying to fit this today, trying being the operative word. What should have been a 2 minute job was impossible :pc:

I knew from watching the fabsoeed video that you have to transfer over the two retaining clips but on the new unit the mouldings for the clips are not present. There is no sign of them having broken off and I've checked the fab speed website which clearly shows them present so this does not look like a genuine fab speed item :cop: .

Without them it is impossible to retain in place. I purchased through ebay via a PayPal payment so have contacted the seller for a full refund. If he does not agree I will simply raise a claim, the pics I have speak for themselves :)

Disappointed I did not get chance to try this though.

Fabspeed Cup airbox

As an update the ebay seller was having none of it and would not agree to a refund :pc:

He argued that he had had it fitted to his 993 for 5 years with no problems and that it was an "early" fabspeed design without the securing tabs moulded in.

I was having none of that as I was not prepared to fit a sub standard part which the manufacturer themselves had subsequently redesigned.

Even though it was second hand eBay buyer protection came good again :thumb: and I've had a full refund today. They even provided me with a free shipping label to send the item back to the seller :)

So the outcome was fine in the end and I got to see a Fabspeed cup airbox up close. Really easy mod to the standard airbox (ie cut the side off) and you will end up with a more robust solution mmmmmm tempted :grin:

Re: Fabspeed Cup Airbox

jonttt said:
Really easy mod to the standard airbox (ie cut the side off) and you will end up with a more robust solution mmmmmm tempted :grin:

buy an old one from a scrap dealer and mod that ;-)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back