Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

Seats have shipped from Germany by DHL 48 hours so should have them fitted next week :bandit:

Thanks Jonttt. I think those are great although personally I would like the badge to be a bit bigger and the word PORSCHE on the seat to be turned the other way round (so it was legible when you are standing in front of the seat - rather then when you are sitting on it).

Anyone else interested in getting one? I could try for a bulk purchase...

AFAIK the badges are the original OEM ones in the OEM hardback position :dont know:

What are your plans for the rear seats Jonttt? Have them recovered (and if so by who) or source some additional in black? Might be good to retain the blue incase you want to return the car to standard spec one day.

I have plans :wink:

And yes I always retain original parts which stay with the car. Besides by the time I ever sell it the CF sports seats will be worth more than the car :floor:

Re: Fabspeed Cup Airbox

jonttt said:
Fabspeed Cup Airbox.......

I already have the "sports" airbox fitted but was intrigued by the cup car option.

There is some "controversy" over this items but my thought process was as follows:

- dragging hot air into the combustion chamber is a no no :hand:
- dragging more air into the air chamber is a plus
- dragging air under pressure to the air chamber is a plus

so the simplistic ideal is to fit an induction system in such a way as pressurised cold air is fed into the engine. Thats why your car feels faster on a crisp winters day :wink:

I have no evidence of the following but my simple logic based on the above simple ideals is that the 993 air induction is flawed in some ways as it drags air in which has been warmed at least to some extend by the engine. The only way to improve this is to protect the external air from the engine heat as it enters the combustion chamber ie extend the intake up to the engine grill. I believe their is an option to do this via a "trumpet" for the fixed winged cars. However this will not fit the retracting grill for obvious reasons.

So unless I want to go fixed wing (which I don't) I have to accept a compromise in engine heat transfer to the air induction.

With regard to pressurised air the OEM 993 airbox is split into 2 parts. The back part is specially disigned to increase air pressure into the combustion chamber so the ideal is not to lose this feature ie retain the back part of the OEM airbox.

This leaves air volume. The OEM sports airbox allows more air through compared to the stock airbox by simply putting more holes in the front part of the airbox. nb the side affect of this is a "induction" noise which most regard as pleasing under full throttle :)

It appears that Porsches own solution to this on race (cup) cars was to effectively remove the front of the airbox altogether thus allowing as much air as possible to enter the combustion chamber :eek:

However you still need to fit an air filter to stop contaminents entering the engine and the OEM front of the airbox was how this was retained in place. The solution was to simply provide the skeleton of the front airbox which sole purpose is to retain the air filter.

Fabspeed seem to have simply produced a version using he same logic.

In summary the pluses are supposed to be maximum pressurised airflow into the combustion chamber. The side effects are increased induction noise.

Note: To maximise the benefits of the increased airflow in the extra air volume needs to be able to exit easily. Therefore reducing any "blockages" to the exhaust side of the engine helps. This is why sports cats and mufflers help with performance ie less obstrucition to exhaust gases leaving the car. my car has sports (RSR) mufflers but not sports cats (still has OEM cats).

One of the problems reported of the cup airbox design is the skeleton frame holding the air filter offers less support to the filter. There have been reports of OEM air filters collapsing. Therefore it is recommended fitting sports "free flowing" air filters. These are designed to allow more airflow but as a a consequence tend to be more rigid and therefore less prone to collapse.

So that is my simple, none scientific, none engineered man logic which led me to want to try the Fabspeed cup airbox. The only part of my logic which does not really make sense is why did Porsche not fit the trumpet style solution to their fixed wing cup cars :dont know:

Anyhow it was a nice ebay project for me to source a second hand one.

One came up advertised from america with a buy it now option but the buyer would not accept my offer. It was the first one that I had seen come up on Ebay so a bit disappointing. So imagine my delight when within a week one came up from a UK seller and my offer was accepted.

It arrived today.....

I make no apologise for the gratuitous opportunity to show my GT2 poster in the new man cave :wack:

Unfortunately my new garage is not quite ready and so the 993 is not at home at the moment so trail fitting / running will have to wait for now but I will complete the write up when fitted.

Here is the Fabspeed youtube video of the installation / running etc....

ps I have no interest in a debate over BHP etc.... its all about how it sounds and the car feels on the road to me :thumb:

Got around to trying to fit this today, trying being the operative word. What should have been a 2 minute job was impossible :pc:

I knew from watching the fabsoeed video that you have to transfer over the two retaining clips but on the new unit the mouldings for the clips are not present. There is no sign of them having broken off and I've checked the fab speed website which clearly shows them present so this does not look like a genuine fab speed item :cop: .

Without them it is impossible to retain in place. I purchased through ebay via a PayPal payment so have contacted the seller for a full refund. If he does not agree I will simply raise a claim, the pics I have speak for themselves :)

Disappointed I did not get chance to try this though.

TBH Jon, the Fabspeed one is a waste of time too, paper and standard as it has been said 100;s of time before, many of them in the know and not just polishers like us lot. I reckon you have gained 10 bhp there........ :floor:

I've read all of the reviews on rennlist etc so bought it under no illusions. I'm not interested in performance gains / losses as they would be unnoticeable to me either way in the real world, I just wanted to see what the induction noise would be like.

I guess I have driven too many CSL's and hanker after that holy grail of induction noise :wink:

Some pics from the Gasworth Hall Car Rally today.

A great setting for browsing the cars on show.......

Not sure what happened here......

This one takes me back.....

and then there was this bad boy.....

Was good to catch up with Zingari who I caught sat on a deckchair eating cake :hand: and of course we chatted 993 prices :floor:

Good to see you Jon :thumb: This event needs to be attended by more 911uk chums, if the weather is good, its a great day out for £5 :thumb:

Only one knob - in a 458. I think the stewards had set him up by sending him to the top field where the PCGB stand was :floor: Getting up there everyone knew he had a sports exhaust (or gout in his right foot) only for him to do the 'drive of shame' on the way back down to park in the out field :hand: His ladyfreind didn't look too impressed. Maybe the copious offers of coffee from some of the spectators was too much :roll:

I seem to remember you volunteering to organise a NW 911UK meet :)

Of course 993 values are so high now we may need to organise some sort of special Insurance :hand:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back