Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

So tell me again why you wouldn't buy a high mileage car...

pirellipete

Barcelona
Great stuff.

Personally, I've never been scared of mileage.

Condition always far more important.

the mileage is just a number .maintenance is the key to longevity.
the artics you see driving around the country often have intergalactic miles on them and still drive lovely.
my 996 has 200,000 plus miles on it,our discovery 3 is approaching 140,000 miles and my saab turbo convertible has 155,000 on it. i would drive them all to the south of france tomorrow after checking the tyre pressures and oil level. its just a number.

Living in LA clearly helps as the dreaded tin worm has stayed away. Difficult here in blighty. Using the car all the time is clearly the way forward as is regular fresh oil and a check over, 2 year servicing and garage queens please note!!! The moral of this story must be, stop polishing and get driving...................................... :D :D

Britsnobs

Mileage "snobbery" is a British thing.

We've grown up around our everyday cars that needed engine/gearbox rebuilds at 60k miles.

Unfortunately, buying a new car and putting 20k a year on it means your residual value will be pants. Which means there are bargains to be had if mileage is not a major concern to the purchaser.

Recently, trawling through the ads for my prospective new purchase, subconsciously I found myself looking for the examples with lower mileage. Which is nonsense really, because I was looking at 3 year old cars with a difference of circa 15k miles. If the car had been 10 years old, I wouldn't have even given a second thought to that kind of mileage difference.

In the end, I had to make a choice...........a standard 997 C2 or a C4S with a really good spec with more miles. (for the same price and both with 2 year OPC warranties)
The choice was easy, the C4S.

I can empathise with our focus on mileage, however, I personally could not give a hoot about high mileage when purchasing a car. I'm more interested in the provenance of the vehicle, history, mechanical condition (not paint!) and frequent and correct servicing. I prefer a car with lots and lots of receipts for the major stuff and also the little things such as new wheel centre caps and new wipers bought by the owner, not the dealer.

We have a 2008 Freelander 2 HST, bought with 90K on it, for not very much. £70 to correct a couple of dents and £100 for some new external trim items from fleaBay. I pushed it through the Land Rover inspection, for free, where it sailed through. For the sake of a few pounds per week it has a manufacturer insured warranty on it too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back