Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Macan launch night invites.

[quote="GT4
photo%2525203.JPG

photo%2525204.JPG

*David Piper's 917 - ex of the journo who blew it up.[/quote]

Thats not the car Mark Hales blew up, it's Pipers original 1969 car that is still in his ownership

He sold the other car shortly after the engine was rebuilt (its since been repainted in red Salzburg colurs and ran at the last Classic Le Mans)

I guess that's one if the problems if you paint EVERY vehicle in your fleet the same "Piper Green" :wink:

Although that may also have just been a library photo error in the account I read (re: racing numbers).

I wonder what his view would be if the new owner painted it back? (Can you copyright a colour?)

GT4 - Welcome back :thumb: :worship:

rpm said:
A very pleasant evening was had at OPC Tonbridge last night.
I was concerned that wife's champagne glass may have had a hole in the bottom as it was emptying so quickly!!
Excellent company - good to see Mr & Mrs T8 again.

Thanks for coming to our anniversary party :thumb:

I note that you haven't mentioned how many cocktail skewers you collected. :grin:

We concluded that the Macan might be on our shortlist if we ever needed to cut down to one car but the idea of selling the existing four and finding c£15k to buy a new one with a decent spec ....... :nooo:

:thewife: fell in love with the Amethyst Panamera :eek:

infrasilver said:
Front bonnet and tops of wings all one piece, wouldn't like to think how much that panel would be.

An interesting design but for me the extra 'panel line' it gives to the front wing of the car ruins the looks from the side.

Zingari said:
GT4 - Welcome back :thumb: :worship:

Cheers!

:bye:

PS - I think I might like it again in the daylight/outside (can never tell the scale of these things indoors and with a hundred people milling around shuttering all but 2" square of the vehicle at any one time).

photo%2525204.JPG

photo%2525203.JPG

photo%2525202.JPG

photo%2525201.JPG

Nice exhausts for the spawn of Dr Diesel :thumb:

Hi GT4 :thumb:

In dark colours that horrid bonnet line is less visible. As with most cars colour and spec make a big difference to how they look.

A 2014 dark coloured, well spec'd petrol Turbo would definitely make it onto my short list for purchase after 2020. There's time for at least 2 more 'fun cars' between now and then.

Having thought about it, the 95B is NOT an off-roader (although I guess it has just as much right to call itself an "SUV" as a Mini Countryman or a FWD RAV4)

It has no real ground clearance, and is not an off-roader in the same sense as the Cayenne. It is also far too small.

But I think I know what it could be ...

I was considering getting an Golf R32 (3.2 VR6, DSG, AWD etc), but, and you'll have to excuse the artistic licence with the pricing, the Macan could just be the perfect all-purpose, idiot-proof hot-hatch.

Give it a few years and a used one will be less than a new Golf R20 anyway.

Not sure whether Porsche would be flattered by the comparison

GT4 said:

I'm not so sure about that. I read somewhere that the UK allocation is only 1,000 Macans per annum (until they ramp up production with the 4 cylinder models that is) so given the demand, residuals should be quite good.

And which OPC had those amazing Le Mans cars? The only "classic" at Tonbridge was a beautiful 930 Turbo to which hardly anyone gave a second glance.

Sadly I missed seeing T8, but my missus had the same problem with the bottomless glass of champers. To the extent that by 9 o'clock she was a bit squiffy, cornered a salesman and ordered a Macan :eek:

I didn't object too much though as I rather like the Macan. It's about the same size as our Freelander that it will replace, much more comfortable with hugely superior performance even in diesel guise and significantly better fuel economy.

However much Porsche bang on about it being a sports car though, it ain't; nor is it as GT4 rightly says an off-roader, but it does bear comparison with soft-roaders like the Nissan Joke and Range Rover Ewok - sorry, Juke and Evoque, which it puts very much in the shade. Although of course, it is a hell of a lot more expensive, but then I've got 18 months to save up and by that time my 997.1 Turbo will have depreciated enough to cover the down payment :nooo:

Evil_C said:
The only "classic" at Tonbridge was a beautiful 930 Turbo to which hardly anyone gave a second glance.

I did. :thumb:

You're right though, it wasn't a particularly good 'display' at Tonbridge. Luckily the nibbles and bubbly were superb.

Evil_C said:
GT4 said:

I'm not so sure about that. I read somewhere that the UK allocation is only 1,000 Macans per annum (until they ramp up production with the 4 cylinder models that is) so given the demand, residuals should be quite good.

I know both the initial supply is low (much diverted to China) and the demand high, but my "few years" was a vague nod to the future, and sadly, VW have no history of supply control beyond production ramp-up, but they do have a habit of fantasy pricing of their top of the range Golfs.

So once the we are out of the honeymoon period, the Macan and the fashionistas have moved on, it will drop from its £50-£60k spot, and the Golf R will continue its trend towards £40k.

Even if the Macan's medium term residuals equals its big brother's 78% retained value, it will be just sub £40k at three years old.

Porsche has already prioritised the Cayenne line to push up Macan production, give it a year and they'll have re-contracted (and delivered the line plant) to Valmet Automotive to double production rates.

If Porsche move Asian production to Changchun in China, this will mean ceasing diverting the current Leipzig Far East allocation too.

Cash is king, and VW will make out like bandits whilst they can: they'll be more Macan sales out the door than enamel pots and pans from Oskar Schindler's Deutsche Emailwarenfabrik.

I notice (depressingly) the flood-gates have already opened (along with a new entry price already close on a Golf R, and probably under the new Golf R400):

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsch...k-s-first-new-4-cylinder-porsche-for-22-years

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/beijing-motor-show/new-entry-level-porsche-macan-revealed-beijing

Yours for £40k:

4 cylinder diesel to follow at Barcelona 2014 or Berlin 2014 Motorshows.

Given it will be a MY2015, this was a pretty prescient joke mock-up on my part (from September 2010):

cajun_103.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back