Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Aventura Adventure

Good to know there are credible alternatives to Southbound at apparently the same level of finish. Their work looks fantastic. Probably cost prohibitive to send an interior to them though?

The good old 6 forum :D welcome to the latest chapter :thumb:

Agree Dom, there are surely, better, more cost effective options here in the UK.

ballcock said:
Have you done the first bit of DIY yet? (Alarm stickers! :grin: )

:D, thanks once again for the tip last week. The original Hamilton & Palmer stickers have arrived so I shall be carefully placing them in the rear windows in the coming days.

Job #1 however was a set of new tyres; I had a set of MICHELIN Pilot Sport PS2 put on all 4 corners last week, so far happy with the choice however am understandably driving the car with caution regardless - lots to become accustomed to with respect to driving characteristics.

The next immediate job will probably be addressing the drivers side front quarter panel window seal - it has seemingly become loose over time and with increased speed, there is a noticeable wind noise, similar to this thread, in fact. Any tips on what to use, without ruining the interior or indeed glass, appreciated :thumbs:. The noisy spoiler issue currently being discussed here is quite temping, though I'm not normally too hands on for fear of making the situation worse, so maybe I'll leave it to the experts :lol:.

In the meantime, a few more images:

10 weeks and 1.5k miles into ownership...

I bought my 993 in early April this year and thought I'd share some thoughts and photos now that, in 10 weeks, I've covered 1.5k miles.

I'm using the car as frequently as I can and any initial doubts I had around whether it could be used as a daily if needed were soon put to rest. There is no doubt a standard 993 can be very civilised when needed :yes:.

There were a few items I wanted to address as soon as I could and the past 10 weeks has seen completion of those essentials:

- 4 x Michelin Pilot Sport 2
- 2 x Alarm stickers from Hamilton & Palmer
- T-Light HID kit courtesy of Tore
- 24k Service [inc. plugs]
- MOT

Next up I'm really tempted to go for Tore's rear LED kit too. The HIDs are really impressive and I think in absence of a third brake light on the rear, LEDs will really help not only freshen up the look, but also provide other drivers greater awareness of the small 993 on the road. I'm also contemplating the Hollamby Bypass / Hayward and Scott bypass / Gundo Hack - although this really is a 'nice to have' so can wait... I think :D.

We returned from a trip to North Wales yesterday, and whilst it wasn't a 'driving tour', many of the roads provided much fun, and the chance to get to know the car better :). The highlight was probably the area around Horseshoe Pass:

The 993 also had the chance to rest alongside a fellow classic for a couple of nights:

reGgE3X.jpg

Whilst I am still getting accustomed to the rear weight bias of the car, especially having come from a front-mid-rear layout, one thing has become clear... more so since the mini roadtrip: the greater the pace the car carries the more 'together' it feels, and it all starts to make sense... :).

Looks fantastic .. ! Congratulations

Re: 10 weeks and 1.5k miles into ownership...

ch3tman said:
Whilst I am still getting accustomed to the rear weight bias of the car, especially having come from a front-mid-rear layout, one thing has become clear... more so since the mini roadtrip: the greater the pace the car carries the more 'together' it feels, and it all starts to make sense... :).

I agree wholeheartedly. I find with my 964 it sometimes feels more balanced and turns in faster when you ask more from it. I.e. give it more beans and it gets more stable.

Great photos. The second one down is a lovely angle. I love my 4S but whenever I see shots like this of an unadulterated NB I think they are a timeless and perfectly proportioned shape. Makes the Ferrari look old fashioned yet the 993 would look good next to the most beautiful coupes from any era from the early 1950s to present day.

Looks like you had a cracking journey. Thanks for posting the photos.

ch3tman said:
Next up I'm really tempted to go for Tore's rear LED kit too.

Don't be tempted, do it.. I have, and I'm really impressed with the difference it made.
I had already done the indicators, and they work nicely too and forfill the objective of making them brighter and more visible to other drivers.

ch3tman said:
I'm also contemplating the Hollamby Bypass / Hayward and Scott bypass / Gundo Hack - although this really is a 'nice to have' so can wait... I think :D.

Don't contemplate, do it. One of the best things you can do to improve the sound of the exhaust. Don't go over 1.5 in bypass though.

ch3tman said:

The thing I love about the 911 is being able to "steer from the rear" it's something you don't get in other cars (O.K. but not quite so much!) Nothing beats that feeling of keeping your boot in in a corner and pushing it through and out the other side.

Great looking car and the number plate looks cool too.... :wink: :D

ATB Steve.

Gorgeous car and great pics.

The black and white one is this week's desktop background- thanks! :)

Thank you for the comments :).

Jcx said:
I agree wholeheartedly. I find with my 964 it sometimes feels more balanced and turns in faster when you ask more from it. I.e. give it more beans and it gets more stable.
Glad I'm not alone. I do still drive with caution however, during these early days of ownership... I've read over the years that once the rear of a 911 catches up with the front, well, you're beyond the point of saving it. I hope to never experience this...

Fourtuitous said:
Great photos. The second one down is a lovely angle. I love my 4S but whenever I see shots like this of an unadulterated NB I think they are a timeless and perfectly proportioned shape. Makes the Ferrari look old fashioned yet the 993 would look good next to the most beautiful coupes from any era from the early 1950s to present day.

Looks like you had a cracking journey. Thanks for posting the photos.
Thank you, and I agree 100%. Interestingly, my wife made a contrasting comment, indicating the Ferrari, despite it being a 1978 model, looked more modern than the Porsche! :what:.... perhaps due to the lower and flatter roof line, lower front spoiler coupled with the traditional supercar slantnose bonnet. We agreed to disagree :puh: :D.

Citori said:
Don't be tempted, do it..
Citori said:
Don't contemplate, do it.
:D - you're not helping my rational decision making!

Citori said:
Great looking car and the number plate looks cool too.... :wink: :D.
Thank you once again for you help on getting that sized & sorted :thumbs:

harry kular said:
The black and white one is this week's desktop background- thanks! :)
madalaa said:
...... I have just done the same ....... :)
I'm honoured! The image above isn't the best resolution...If you click [HERE] I've uploaded a higher quality version (1440p) which should look a little better as a desktop background :thumb:.

....actually that new one is too big ..... it overfills ...... so back to old one for me ..... but thanks anyway ...... :)

ch3tman said:
Citori said:

I was actually going to PM you about that, as it looks really well and I have a similar c4 plate. Could you advise on the spec please?

ch3tman said:

Great pics.

I stopped at the same spot for pics 5 years ago......

IMG_3414.jpg

IMG_3386.jpg

I always remember that day as it was gorgeous and being midweek the day after schools returned I had 2 clear laps of the Evo Triangle which is a rarity nowadays

harry kular said:
ch3tman said:
Citori said:
I was actzally going to PM you about that, as it looks really well and I have a similar c4 plate. Could you advise on the spec please?
Sure...
The standard size for a UK plate is: 20.5" x 4.5"
My plate size is: 16" x 4.5"

There are various rules on British Standards compliance, font type, font size, character height/width/spacing, etc.; you can read all about that on the gov.uk site.

If your similar plate has the same number of characters as mine, you could actually get away with a 13.5" size and remain within the spacing rules, however this would involve you cutting the plate down yourself - not something I wanted to do.

Despite there being several plate suppliers on eBay, I found sellers were either eager to advertise their name on the plate (not interested, I wanted a clean look), non-compliant with BS (not interested in being stopped for my number plate!) or simply unresponsive.

I then found lots of good feedback for 'myshowplates' on PistonHeads forums and decided to go with them - they responded to questions within a day and actually delivered within 2 days too. Their website is a little... 'busy' though! :-| Hope that helps? Any other questions, just drop me a PM :thumbs:.

jonttt said:
Great pics.

I stopped at the same spot for pics 5 years ago......
Thank you - likewise :wink: You definitely stopped on the better side and evidently enjoyed better weather. The day after we passed through, there were clear skies and sunshine for the whole day.... typical :what:.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back