Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Performance Driver Group Training - Tuesday 08.04.14

T8

Super Moderator
CATDT Performance Driver 'Track' Day

CAT Driver Training is run by Colin and Jo Hoad. Colin used to work for a leading motor manufacturer in the UK as a Vehicle Evaluator and Driver Trainer and has gained extensive experience and qualifications in driver instruction. This includes being certificated to instruct at Millbrook. His life has been spent working with his passion: motor cars - from racing minis to the race preparation of performance cars. He has much experience of vehicles on both road and track and brings a very different approach to driver enjoyment.

The day is a fast moving experience for 6 owners and their cars to introduce the secrets of performance driving. It is designed to be informative, exciting and fun. The group size is purposefully kept small so that the maximum can be obtained from the day in a highly personalised environment.

There is access to the 5 unique circuits at the renowned Millbrook Proving Ground, a venue that is not normally accessible for 'track days' and the general public.

Activities designed for the different circuits are:
- Learn 'threshold' braking from 100+mph on the 'Mile Straight'
- High speed driving, potentially to the maximum of your car, on the banked circuit of the 'High Speed Circuit'
- Drive the demanding 'Alpine Route' circuit with its hills, and variety of corners from hairpins to long and sweeping
- Take on the tight, twisty and challenging 'Handling Circuit'
- Put a car through its paces on the wide open spaces of the 'Steering Pad/Mile Straight Apron'
An instructor will accompany you on all the circuits during your session, and the objective is to teach you how to get the best from your car and develop your performance driving skills in a controlled environment and at a pace you are comfortable with.

Short presentations in vehicle dynamics will help you to understand the relationship between driver input and vehicle balance and control. From this comes the appreciation of how to safely drive your vehicle at 'grip limit' within the controlled confines of a track environment.

At the end of the day, your new found skills can be put to the test in a timed 'shoot out' around a gymkhana-style course laid out on the 'Steering Pad/Mile Straight Apron'. This will be conducted in one of CAT Driver Training's track prepared cars (normally a Subaru Impreza or a Caterham 7).

Included in the day are:
- Professional in car tuition
- Access to 5 unique circuits at Millbrook Proving Ground
- Lunch and refreshments during the day
- Timed end of day 'shoot out' in one of CAT's track prepared cars
- Full emergency services on hand all day
- 1 hour 40 minutes driving time with your personal instructor

Performance Driver 'Track' Day Schedule

08:30 – 09:15 Coffee, Introduction, Licence Check, Scrutineering, Safety Briefing & Objectives of the Day
09:30 – 10:55 Mile Straight
10:55 – 11:55 High Speed Circuit
11:55 – 13:15 Handling Circuit
13:15 – 14:00 Lunch
14:00 – 15:00 Alpine Route
15:00 – 15:45 Understeer/Oversteer
15:45 – 16:45 Gymkhana timed 'Shoot Out' – Steering Pad/Mile Straight Apron
16:45 Presentation & Debrief
Any Questions
End

Timings & Circuit order may be subject to change on the day depending on circuit activity

Note on noise limits ... to quote me "there is no limit unless you are a Le Mans Prototype or an F1 car". If anyone thinks they can compete at that level on noise, be sure to mention it when booking!

The price structure for your club in 2014 will be:

3 participating members = £435 pp
4 participating members = £410 pp
6 participating members = £390 pp

All prices include VAT at the current rate and payment must be made at the point of booking to confirm individuals places. Depending on the time frame for the event, this could be a 50% deposit with the balance closer to the event, or the full amount if within 40 days. Methods can be bank transfer or debit and credit cards but credit cards attract merchant fees of up to 3.5% of the value depending on the card type.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to meeting you.

Jo :typing:

Thanks for your details & deposit e8_pack :thumbs:

1. Touji
2. e8_pack - Deposit Paid
3. Rockunrolla
4. graham.hassall

TBA
1. WilliamsF1
2. Dhalsu
3. Jumblemo
4. Johnny Dangerous
5. HarryH

Jo

Thanks for your deposit - safely received Graham :thumbs:

1. Touji
3. Rockunrolla
4. graham.hassall - Deposit Paid

TBA
1. WilliamsF1
2. Dhalsu
3. Jumblemo
4. Johnny Dangerous
5. HarryH

Jo

Thanks Touji for your payment :thumbs:

I'm going to cap this day at 3 people & will honour the price at £390 as it's my decision. Demand is too great for 1-2-1's so it will release opportunity for other clients on the day.

1. Touji - Paid in Full
3. graham.hassall - Deposit Paid

Jo

Can I go down as a reserve for this please? :thumb:

You can indeed RWD_cossie_wil :thumb: FYI in case you haven't seen it there's a place on the group training day, same format, on Saturday 19th April.

1. Touji - Paid in Full
3. graham.hassall - Deposit Paid

Reserve
1. RWD_cossie_wil

Jo

Well had a fantastic day, really learnt something and felt happier about my lines and got to grips with smooth driving techniques and saw where i was going wrong before on track.

The gymkhana course at the end was so much fun! in fact i'm off to look at a westy tomorrow!

I can thoroughly recommend this course, Paul was an excellent instructor and actually got through to my bone head with his instruction.

Thanks

Ian

Morning All

It was a great day and lovely to meet you all. I hope Graham H you have successfully made it home :?:

Congratulations to you Ian for setting the fastest time of the day on the Gymkhana course - hope the champagne is chilling nicely for the weekend, if it hasn't already been enjoyed :thumbs:

Graham H - wear your Driver of the Day CAT hat with pride :)

& Graham A - your slidey chocolate was definitely earned :grin:

Hope to meet you again in the future and thanks for your enthusiasm on the day.

KR
Jo

I just want to add to Ian's feedback on this training:

Not only is it well delivered by excellent and welcome staff but it really is a fabulous experience.
Not only are you challenged to overcome your own limits you're pushed to press your car to the limits as well.

I've quickly come to realise that the 911 is not the dreaded tail-swapping behemoth of old. Indeed, my attempts on the skid-pan to get her to swap ends proved fruitless.
I'd seriously recommend this to anyone regardless of what you drive, I already feel more confident behind the wheel and look forward to my first 'proper' track day, though my trip to Europe next month has been modified slightly to include some alpine driving.

Hi Paul and Jo

Thanks for a seriously good time despite my car letting me down (brake line failure).You taught me a great deal and I am still practicing my viewing into the distance, throttle balance and line selection albeit in a slightly less convincing vehicle than a Porsche 911.

I would also like to say a very big thankyou to Ian for letting me borrow his car for the course it was an extremely generous thing to do and added quite a dimension to the day as I have never driven a turbo before let alone the fire breathing rocket Ian owns. 650bhp is serious horsepower!

For those considering a course I would highly recommend it as you are sure to learn some valuable skills.

cheers

Graham

PS Is it OK to take my hat off yet I don't find it very comfortable to sleep in!

Sounds like a wholly worthwhile day! Would be interested in your next session!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back