Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Nurburgring Nordschleife, Germany

NURBURGRING NORDSCHLEIFE, Germany

• 4 Stars out of 5 Stars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 Stars out of 5 Stars

• 2 Stars out of 5 Stars

• 1 Stars out of 5 Stars

• Total voters
dude,

you're reading way too much into it - you need to go, have fun and RELAX!
don't fall into the 'timing' trap, this is when you put pressure on yourself and mistakes happen.

There's no prizes there - just drive to your ability and keep your eyes open for scrotes trying to prove they can drive their fiat punto to destruction.
pointless.

when is the trip?

Our next Ring trip is next week...leaving the UK on Tuesday, Ring on
Wednesday, then Spa on Thursday. 8)

spectraluk said:
crackin' - have a great time and look after Roro, he's a fragile little flower...

..Don't worry we'll make sure he gets plenty of water....lol

..I mean Bitburger.... 8)

:floor:

... Fragile flower.... Yes I'm sure plenty others think the same (not!) :)

I've been watching that GT2/GT3 vid everyday, completely sucks you in doesn't it!?

Roro said:
I've been watching that GT2/GT3 vid everyday, completely sucks you in doesn't it!?

It is but a mild distraction compared to driving the real thing :thumb:

So, having now driven the track in real life, I can quite categorically state the game is nothing like the real thing :grin:

Well, ok, there are similarities obviously, but what the game doesn't give you is the sense of being thrown around by the undulations of the track, the sense of grip potentially being there one minute but not quite the next, the fact you have to keep glancing in your rearview in case of someone unexpectedly steaming up behind you. The game doesn't give you any sense of 'danger' or risk which as a first timer I definitely felt going out on track. All of this makes you drive differently in real life to how you would in the game.

What the game does give though is a rough idea of which way the track will go next. Turn in points tend to be much later than you think, but then there are some series of bends that can be taken more or less straight down the middle... But frustratingly the run up can be blind. So you approach thinking it'll be another bend next and position the car accordingly, only to find you're in the wrong place to take advantage of taking the bends flat.

For shorter tracks like Silverstone or Spa, I think GT6 gives a fairly good idea of how the tracks go as there aren't really that many bends to get familiar with, but for the Nordschleife the only option is to drive it to learn it properly. The irony is, once you've driven the Nordschleife for real, then I reckon you're more likely to get some benefits from GT6...

Glad you managed to pop your ring cherry without incident :thumb:

Still not mustered the courage to do it myself despite it being on my doorstep, but could be tempted...one day...maybe... :oops:

Dude you gotta do it!! Seriously, if I can anyone can... I didn't even go around it the wrong way or anything!

Nearest I came was a few years ago sat in the diner with a hastily bought ring card and my RS4 parked outside, primed and ready to go. I was biting chunks out of the seat as we waited to see if the visibility would improve enough to let us out on track - in many ways I'm relieved that rain (well fog really) stopped play - the number of bent and mis-shapen porkers stood as a bad omen that day... :nooo:

I think you've gone about it the right way and I'd definitely want to try a few pax laps before going out myself, so I can envisage myself tagging along on a future trip... :lurk:

Chimp , you can be my wing man anytime :friends: :lol:

chimp911 said:
Cheers, no rear end shunts though :thumb:

You have to let that go man :floor: :floor: :floor:

Ps - should we clear up for on lookers where referring to a karting race and not a drunken moment of over friendliness :? :floor:

Nordschleife training film - Fur die 'Beardys'

A very helpful film for those not too old to give it a go. I think that a 996 will just slip into this category as it has no aids :D

Pip

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back