Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear screen wrong size seal? Help please!

Paul Lowther

Guys, I have recently removed the rear screen from my 1985 coupe. After purchasing a new seal I simply can't refit the aluminium trim.

I'm now wondering if my rear screen is from a 964 and not a 930?
If I'm right, it would explain why the seal appears to be too tight around the corners (as I believe the 964 screen is slightly bigger).

Is there any way of telling by the number on the screen which one I have?
The numbers on the screen are SEKURIT 43R-001026 DOT 27m 530A52

Thanks Paul

Did you take the screen out with the trims in place or did you remove the trims first? Theres every chance you have stretched the trims if you removed them first. The trims are there to tighten up or expand the seal but they need to be in the rubber before you pull in the screen.If you have stretched them, they need to be reshaped which is no small job.The temperature is important as well.It's much easier to fit a new seal in high summer than it is at this time of year because it stretches more easily.Does this seal not have the wires for the heated rear window running through it? I used to let the seals lie in a bath of hot water for a while before fitting which helped.

964 screen solid rubber bigger screen
930 screen smaller rubber with grove for mouldings

Make sure it's a porsche rubber as there's a few crap patern ones out there!

Buzz me if not sure as I do this for a living

07775 848023 mark

Guys,
Many thanks for the replies. I'll try and walk through what happened.
1. Carefully removed the trim from the window while in the car
2.Slightly distorted the trim while removing it but have since attempted to straighten it to approx' 95% correct
3. Bought a new but old stock seal from fleabay.
4. took the glass into the house supported it on cushions on a table
5. Fitted the new seal which looks tight at the corners pulling down, not flat
6.Trying to refit the trim before fitting the window to the car, trim will fit in the slot at first, but when i get to the tight spots on the corner the trim simply pops out, i can't see any way that it would fit and stay fitted.
7.Start to wonder if the screen is larger than the original (964 screen in a930) which would explain why the corners are so tight.
8.Should the corners of the seal sit flat?
9.I'm happy to buy another seal, from Porsche this time but I don't want to order the wrong one.
10. Does anyone know how to identify the screen or physical dimensions
11. Thanks for the phone number may I call you tomorrow, if I don't get the answer from the forum?

Thanks again for your support Paul

I still think you have distorted the alloy trims.When you pulled them from the seal they have stretched and twisted.Because they are out of shape the rubber seal is shaping itself to the shape of the insert.Take the seal off the window.Put the trims into the seal.Lay the screen on a table but supported in the middle with a pillow/cushion.Carefully lay the seal complete with trim on the screen and start at one corner.You will probably have to twist an bend the seal to ease the screen into its groove.3 corners will be ok but the last one will be a pain.You can soften it up with a heat gun or hairdrier and very carefully stretch it over the last corner.Its easier to bend the trim when its in the seal.Wear a pair of heavy gloves and that will make it easier to grip.Hope this helps.

Big Jock said:
I still think you have distorted the alloy trims.When you pulled them from the seal they have stretched and twisted.Because they are out of shape the rubber seal is shaping itself to the shape of the insert.Take the seal off the window.Put the trims into the seal.Lay the screen on a table but supported in the middle with a pillow/cushion.Carefully lay the seal complete with trim on the screen and start at one corner.You will probably have to twist an bend the seal to ease the screen into its groove.3 corners will be ok but the last one will be a pain.You can soften it up with a heat gun or hairdrier and very carefully stretch it over the last corner.Its easier to bend the trim when its in the seal.Wear a pair of heavy gloves and that will make it easier to grip.Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try tomorrow night and let you know how i get on. :thumb:

I would suspect you have a shyte seal, when placed on the ground does it form a nice square shape? The corners should be formed and not pucker up, cheap seals are just cut from a length of rubber and joined, there are also circular in shape!

9MLS said:
I would suspect you have a shyte seal, when placed on the ground does it form a nice square shape? The corners should be formed and not pucker up, cheap seals are just cut from a length of rubber and joined, there are also circular in shape!

Thanks again for the advice, I've just ordered another seal, a genuine Porsche part. Fingers crossed I have more success with this one :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back