Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Exclusive Centre Console converted to DIN 2

911TCD

Trainee
Hi all,

My 993 is a regular social & pleasure drive for me so used most weekends and some evenings + trips to Europe and one of the frustrations was a lack of full screen sat-nav / bluetooth / iPod / Reverse Camera. At the time I started this the Becker unit was no longer being produced and Porsche hadn't launched their Din 1 unit although that's now discontinued and I'm now onto my second head unit to keep up with what technology has to offer.

I originally installed the Sat Nav by acquiring one of the Porsche Exclusive Centre Consoles (same as used in Jerry Seinfeld's 993) http://flatsixes.com/miscellaneous/...elds-1997-porsche-993-turbo-s-for-sale-again/.

Anyway adjusting the original console did more damage than good so I had a new mould created to make it a sturdy DIN 2 size and it's been in the car for a couple of years without any problems. So I think I've had about 5 years with a Din 2 Sat Nav installed.

If anyone is interested in adding a full-size Sat-Nav/screen unit to their 964/993 then do get in touch. Now the mould is made, it's easy to make replicas but then it has to be joined to the centre console and finished, which I used Southbound for but anyone could do this. I appreciate that Porsche, Becker etc. offered a DIN 1 unit but I don't think either exists now. I've recently updated my unit to the Kenwood DNX-9230 DAB and the Inrix traffic system is excellent with wifi connection to my phone.

I'm just working on some other changes to the car so was pulling out the console and have taken a couple of pictures to give you an idea of what I did.

Cheers,
Tim

Attachments

• photo_2_204.jpg
    photo_2_204.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 3,863
  • imgp3186_143.jpg
    imgp3186_143.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 3,863
  • imgp3208_133.jpg
    imgp3208_133.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 3,863
Interesting. Looks quite similar to the original Exclusive option Sat Nav as seen below.

DSC_1855.jpg

Bet the maps are out of date by now :grin:

I chatted to the owner of that car at Goodwood. Pretty sure it wasn't a Porsche exclusive job. Was retro fitted by a skilled installer over here when the car was quite new.

Very neat job indeed.

Car was a 3.8 Carrera S too! Rare old goose that one.

The Porsche bat phone console looks larger than his.

I thought it was possible to order late 993s with a Philips Carin nav but I could have imagined it.

I looked at that version as well, but really wanted a multimedia unit with hands free, ipod etc. and not just sat nav.

Attachments

• 993_satnav01_190_sml_821.jpg
    993_satnav01_190_sml_821.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 3,757
  • jerry_seinfelds_1997_porsche_turbo_s_interior_349.jpg
    jerry_seinfelds_1997_porsche_turbo_s_interior_349.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 3,757
  • 911tcd_585.jpg
    911tcd_585.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 3,757
Looks good. :thumbs:

blindspot said:
I like that a lot. Could you give us an idea of cost for a replica?
I'll get a price for the raw mould without finish and ask Southbound about cost of finish and let you know.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back