Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My very different first impressions of the 991

Wilko1

Silverstone
I currently have a 997.2 Carrera pdk, and have borrowed a 991c4s for an extended test drive. The car has every option box ticked including burmeister.

So my impressions of the options.
Pdcc. I prefer PASM, so wouldn't spend the cash.
Power steering plus. No thank you.
Glass sunroof. A definite maybe
Sports chrono. Sorry but I hate it. I know that makes me odd, it makes the car incredibly aggressive, and you can only drive it like a knob. I also find the pdk in standard slower to react than my 997. I know this is the opposite to everyone else's experience, and maybe I just know my car and how to make it respond to my inputs.
Sports exhaust. No thanks. Fun for about 2 mins before I want an even quieter mode than standard. Daily driver for me.
Adaptive sports seats. Comfy, but thicker and reduce rear leg room, which for me means a no, as I use it for the school run. Also no way worth around 4k over the standard seat.
Expresso natural leather. A big yes.
Yellow dials, seat belts etc. I think not.
Auto dimming, folding mirrors. Yes, but still can't believe these aren't standard on a 90k car.
Heated seats. Yes, but again can't believe these are extra.
Burmeister. Sorry, it isn't bad, but it's not remotely high end hifi, and as with Bose, just not worth the extra.
Led headlights. Not noticeably any better than xenons, but then not an expensive option, so may be.
TV function. A grand. Are you on crack! Serves no purpose. I have a comfy sofa and a big tv.
Phone kit, no question, should be standard.
Cruise, again should be standard
Keyless access. Nice to have, but £800 buys a lot of fuel.
Tpms. Seems a waste of money to me, and just another damn thing to scroll through on the dash.
Multi function steering wheel. Yes. Take this over a sport design every day. I'm odd, but I never drive in manual, however I do turn the music up/scroll through dash many times an hour.

So all in all, I'd buy (will buy) a relatively standard car with standard seats in natural leather, pdk, cruise, PASM, phone kit, auto mirrors, and may be moon roof. You can keep the rest.

To be honest, I may even go Carrera again instead of S because to be honest the S is to damn fast for the road.

But. Do I want one. A resounding yes! But I can get all the 991 I want (need) lightly used for low 60s against the 113k insanity of this c4s. Even if money was no object, I wouldn't spec the vast majority of the options

I think you are right in many respects, the spec list on a 997 is as long as your arm and I am also a believer that whilst the 991 is worth every penny the value lies in used. If buying used, get one with spec. It is worth considering what the market think are 'musts' especially on items that can't be retro-fitted.

The one thing I would never have is a sunroof - and that's from someone who drives a cabriolet at the moment. I just think they spoil the look of a coupe.

Sound write up, thanks for that. I would still have a hard look at a spec'd up last of the 997.2, only niggles I have about mine would all overcome by one of those, a 991 is a whole new ball game at a whole new level of cash for me.

OP, you've commented about the options but what about the drive? Cornering, handling, braking, ride composure, acceleration, tyre roar etc etc. We're only getting half of the story here!

~ Maxie

An interesting review, I thought you were going to say you would keep your 997 over the 991 after reading the first bit...

I agree with you about the aggressive nature of the Sports Plus, but for me it's a boon. It means that the car truly has two characters and both are usable, (although I think Sports Plus is aimed at track work as it is quite hard core).

Honestly, for the price a mild spec Carrera with Sports Plus is as quick as a std C4S but costs £25k less (if the car you drove was £113k then £33k less)! Seems like a no brainer to me.

I certainly want one, and when the right car/deal comes up I'll get one. But I'm waiting until april when my winter wheels come off, as by then the gap between mine and a mid 2012 car will narrow a bit more.

But I got back in my 997 tonight, and I'm not convinced the 991 is 35-40K better than what I have. It's better yes, but more than twice as good? No.

I'll be doing it because I can and I've got a couple of year window to scratch the next itch before the kids grow to a point where an M car will be the only option.

I could do it now, but I can currently only stretch to a very early car, and I'd rather get one 6 months ore more into production. I refuse to take finance, so my budget wont stretch to a newer one yet. By april/may it should get an S, or a high spec, 6 month old carrera.

Its amazing how car threads are so much about options these days.

I dont think ive ever deliberated on any options on any car before. Id be happy with any combination of the above personally.

I guess part of that comes with never buying new.

Do not think that £113K needs to be spent to get a pretty much ideal C4S.

Was on the Configurator and managed to get a fantastic spec for under £102K. This is as good, or better, that anything which is currently on the used market in the £80-100K bracket. So on this basis, almost looks sensible to go new, or maybe this is man logic gone mad ? :?: :?:

Description No. Info Price
911 Carrera 4S Coupe £ 81,232.00
Country Packages

911 '50 Years Edition' Optional Package - PCGB P9Q
£ 1,199.00
Exterior Colour

White 0Q £ 0.00
Interior Colour

Black leather interior AZ £ 2,201.00
Exterior

Bi-Xenon headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) 603
£ 477.00

SportDesign exterior mirrors 529 £ 364.00

Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor P13
£ 372.00

Top tinted windscreen 567
£ 77.00
Transmission / Chassis

Sports exhaust system 176
£ 1,772.00

Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) 250
£ 2,387.00
Wheels

20-inch 911 Turbo wheel 429
£ 890.00
Wheel Accessories

Wheel spacers, 5mm

XRP
£ 235.00

Tyre Pressure monitoring system (TPM) 482
£ 437.00

Wheel Centres 446
£ 109.00
Interior

White instrument dial Sport Chrono stop clock

CGJ
£ 235.00

White instrument dials

XFJ
£ 401.00

Guards Red seat belts

XSX
£ 275.00

Smoking package 583
£ 0.00

Floor mats 810
£ 121.00

Light design package 630
£ 299.00

Cruise control 454
£ 267.00

Sports seats plus, electrical 4 ways P05
£ 312.00
Interior Leather

Porsche crest embossed on head restraints

XSC
£ 138.00

Leather rear centre tunnel with decorative stitching

XHS
£ 558.00

Multifunction steering wheel, leather 844
£ 356.00
Interior Aluminium

Stainless steel door sill guards, illuminated

XXB
£ 486.00

Aluminium brushed centre console trim

XYE
£ 162.00

Aluminium brushed interior package (with leather interior/with PDK)

EEN
£ 526.00
Audio / Communications

BOSE® Surround Sound System 680
£ 963.00

Digital radio (DAB, DAB+, DMB) 691 £ 324.00

Porsche Vehicle Tracking System (VTS) T93
£ 1,140.00

Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module with universal audio interface P23
£ 2,141.00
Others

3rd Year Porsche Assistance A01
£ 169.00

3rd Year Warranty WO5
£ 1,020.00
Total Price* £ 101,645.00

Interesting read , ive only ever had my 991 so cant benchmark against another Porsche -compared to previous fast cars M3 and Maserati Gransport - it just would eat them alive for everything from speed /build quality /handling , fuel consumption , i love it , cant wait for some decent dry weather to dry a bit harder

My one was a nearly new -guy did 500 miles , was speced with everything
the classic steering wheel , love it --simplicity --the other one looks far too fiddly , love the paddles , blipping with the sports exhaust is epic --its got Bose but who needs that with the external acoustics -- I sometimes spot people looking around I think not realising its a Porker -- sounds amazing -
When wifeys in car all noise and sports etc go off so nice and comfortable , softer ride then as our man suggests gears are maybe not as responsive
in bog standard mode so agreement there .
Electric steering cant complain but have never known any different in a 911 ,
Love the hill hold , M3 never had that , nor gransport from memory
M3 /Gransport both had paddles but seem to recall reversing was fiddly with the Mas , Astons are the same by all accounts - I seldom drive in Manual but still rate the pdk , it seems to adaprt to your driving style
Sports plus is totally manic , like you say for Track days -Ive used twice
tops and car feels /sounds very angry in that mode

Hate the electric hand brake --piss poor and stupid noise it makes
'S' does seem v fast sometimes too fast , can bring out the worst in me , and others , again never driven a standard so cant benchmark
Heated seats have three settings , hot , kin hot and totally scorched arse
but nice first thing in the morning

Id say its the best car I've ever had by quite a way - maybe will become a devotee Porsche fanatic but big downers are the other road users jealousy is rife - and silly buggers want to race you everywhere - never really got that with the Maserati

Was looking at maybe a change - 991 cabrio or even a 911 with Sunroof. (or dare i say an F Type) C4S dont do it for me with the stupid red band across the back , looks cheap.. Speccing one up does get heavy -although not sure what discounts they offer these days on new , knowing Porsche ***** all , but Broadspeed are knocking £4 and £5 k off list prices ...

Just my two pennuth

DRZ911 said:
Do not think that £113K needs to be spent to get a pretty much ideal C4S.

Was on the Configurator and managed to get a fantastic spec for under £102K. This is as good, or better, that anything which is currently on the used market in the £80-100K bracket. So on this basis, almost looks sensible to go new, or maybe this is man logic gone mad ? :?: :?:

Try one of these agents for new cars-- (Broadspeed cover Porsches)
My Daughter wanted a Polo - tried local VW garage who'd had one sale off me for other Daughters car wanted to knock £250 at a push plus £1000 vw discount on an £18k car- so £1250 - went via one of these agents got £3k off arranged the VW finance for another £1k - so £18k car car costs £14k - never done it before but will from now on this is the way to go - all commision goes direct from dealer to agent , you dont pay them anything
You dont havethe convenience of buying local but for that saving would go to VW john o groats !

Broadspeed were marking Porsches down from new by £4 or £5k when i looked this morning - not sure what youd get in dealers

I just had a quick look at Broadspeed for 991 C4S.... Is the price they are quoting for dealer correct, Have a feeling they are slightly inflating the dealer price. But as I siad this was just a quick look, I stand to be corrected

glasgow said:
I just had a quick look at Broadspeed for 991 C4S.... Is the price they are quoting for dealer correct, Have a feeling they are slightly inflating the dealer price. But as I siad this was just a quick look, I stand to be corrected
i think Broadspeed may be inflating their saving prices
but a 991 C4S looks cheaper at the top line

Manual -- Porsche £88,304 Broadspeed -- £84957 diff £3347

PDK -Porsche £ 90691 Broadspeed £87002 diff £3689

not sure what you'd end up with by the time you ended up speccing a car
the option list is so confusing but its worth a shot if the Porsche dealers are not offering deals -

Not advocating broadspeed but it worked for me on Daughters Polo
did the VW thing -then saved massively its just an option --still a buyers market !

I just ordered new from the dealer and got exactly 5k of my order.

Interesting point about the sport design steering wheel as that is what I specced rather than the MF wheel. I thought that the thicker wheel might be more comfortable to drive but would like to hear your thoughts on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back