Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stirlings first 991 drive/ purchase

I have test driven twice, once out of OPC Swindon and 2nd time at Silverstone and I was truly blown away. No comparison between that and the 997.1 I had, none at all.

If it weren't for other commitments right now, I would really love to own one!

997c2s said:
Is it just me or does the PDK feel a little quicker than the 997.2?

There was a major upgrade of the PDK from 997.2 to 991.1.

~ Maxie

Thanks for the comments/review Mark.
Good to read a positive post for a change. I don't know why people like to dwell on negative things.
I pick up the yellow one tomorrow, I heard what you said about the colour but I like the spec and even the colour, and that's all I need.
Cheers
Stewart

spongebob squarepants said:
Chris W said:
Well done Mark.

Interesting. The more I see the more I'm really liking the 991, I eat my hat! I see quite a few now in all different specs getting prepped in OPC Leicester. The GT3 is a beast, the Turbo a very sophisticated brute, the standard cars so many different looks achievable.

Now, if it sounds that good, imagine if you drove it less gingerly Mark!

+1 :thumbs: I hated it at first, until I saw these pics and the interiors, might consider one when the kids grow and are struggling in the 997 :?:

Looks stunning ... Those rims are it

Has anyone spent much time/owned a manual 991?

Driven a 991 4S PDK (with and without paddles - they're a must) and as great a car as it is, on the road it didn't really feel '911ey' until I was into immediate ban territory.

I don't like PDK I'm afraid, good as it is, just not for me (done a few thousand miles with it and it's a fundamental dislike!). On the road is the only place I drive, so for me, I need to get my thrills and involvement at low speed.

Finally spent some time in a manual S and was disappointed with the gear change. It was flimsy and plasticky (and the brake pedal seems more assisted too).
The steering is different to my 997.2 S, bit sanitised at sane speeds (does get a lot better as you get faster) but I could get used to that.
Question is, did I miss something, is the manual something that grows on you? Does it get better? Any mods that'll help?

Hi Flash, I saw your reply on Pistonheads (I'm findtomdotcom).

I'm a manual man but have fallen a bit for the new PDK. However, that said I tried the 7 speed manual and it was "OK".... The main issue for me was the long throw of the gear change, maybe there will be a quick shift kit?

I find that the PDK only really works well for me in Sports Plus mode, it is much sharper and responds differently to normal mode. I think it makes it easier to driver faster, that of course will feel different from the 997 where getting it right is more of a skill?

Your steering comments are really confusing me. I confess it has been at least 2 years since I had a 997 but I just don't think it's that different, but then again I have steering plus in my 991 and I wonder if that's is helping, (even if most think the steering plus is actually bad)??

I love my 991, it really is two cars for the price of one. Its 95% the 997 as a raw sports car and 120% a GT car, but I think it really comes down to what spec you get more so then any 911 before it.

Thanks Tom (assume it's Tom!).

The steering difference was vivid as I'd just stepped out of my 997 in to the 991 and then back again, however, as I said, that I could get used to and I'm sure after a few weeks it'd be a non-issue.

It was the gearshift which I felt dire, maybe I got a duff one (the car rattled like nothing else), I drove it like a 6 speed until I remembered the 7th gear, it just felt vague, loose, plasticky.

The car itself is a fantastic place to be and you're right, it is a better combination of GT and sports car but maybe for me the ratio needs to be more sports car - I'd love a 997 with the 991 toys and interior however.

The engine's very familiar can't fault that nor how it looks.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emb01
Back