Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

"How to Safely Wash your Porsche Guide"

Elite Detailing

I have compiled a wash guide for our members which I would like to make as a sticky as "part one" of the car care guides. This is the first guide, there will be more additions soon which will cover various other process.

Hi all,

IMG_8833.jpg

Here is the correct, safe and effective way to wash your Pride and Joy without causing any damage.

Elite Detailer Car Care Products

1. Label your buckets "WASH" and "RINSE" with a permanent marker. This is important.

2. Fill bucket "WASH" with cold/luke warm water along with the shampoo with the correct dosage as instructed on the bottle and then place clean grit guard at bottom of the bucket.

IMG_5993.jpg

3. Fill Bucket "RINSE" with cold/luke warm water. If vehicle is very dirty, put a small amount of shampoo in and place grit guard at bottom of the bucket.

4. Inspect Lambswool Wash Mitt making sure it's clean and place in Bucket 'WASH".

5. Hose/Pressure wash vehicle down thoroughly.

6. Place Lambswool Wash Mitt onto roof and wipe in straight sweeping back and forth movements.

7. Rinse wash mitt in bucket "RINSE" by rubbing wash mitt onto the grit guard and then inspect the Wash Mitt.

8. Now 're-shampoo" wash mitt by dunking back into Bucket "WASH".

9. Repeat process 6, 7 and 8.

It is important to regularly do step 7 while washing the vehicle.

Here is the formation for washing the vehicle:

Roof, Glass, Bonnet, Boot, Wings and Doors but leaving the bottom 6 inches around the vehicle untouched. This includes the sills, lower wings and lower rear quarters, lower front and rear bumpers. Now with a separate Wash Mitt you should begine washing the front end and work your way around the vehicle. This separate Wash Mitt should be used for this purpose only and should not be cross contaminated with the Wash Mitt you had previously used.

Do NOT use the Lambswool Wash Mitt on your wheels.

The above formation may read a little tedious but I can assure you that once you have done this process a few times then it will become second nature to you.

10. Now rinse vehicle off with hose/pressure wash thoroughly.

11. Now mist the entire vehicle by spraying the Drying Aid Quick Detailer. You will notice the water running off the vehicle as well as looking slightly streaky.

12. Now using the Drying Towel dry vehicle gently without pressing down. Let the cloth do all the work. Again dry in the exact same order as the wash formation working in straight lines. Take your time and don't rush.

IMG_5997.jpg

13. Any left over streaks can be buffed off seamlessly using one of the buffing Microfibre Cloths.

14. This step is optional but well recommended, Mist a clean Microfibre Cloth with Zaino Z-6 or Zaino Z-8 and wipe over vehicle. A little goes a long way with the Zaino Range so only lightly mist the Microfibre Cloth. You should be able to complete an average sized car with approximately 6-8 squirts.

Below is a picture illustrating the importance of using more than one bucket for when washing you pride and joy. You can clearly see which is the "Rinse" bucket and which is the "Wash" bucket. This process is far safer than using a single bucket because the likelyhood of you rubbing grit and dirt back onto your car is reduced.

IMG_5999.jpg

Wheels and Tyres:

IMG_8829.jpg

When washing wheels and tyres, it is important to not cross contaminate. It is often best to wash the wheels first. You should use a separate Microfibre Wash Mitt for this process and not the mitt which was used on the paint work. It is also important to scrub your tyres. Please take a look in the Wheels and Tyres section for a selection of products.

Do NOT go from wheels and back onto the bodywork and do NOT use the same drying towel on the wheels as you do on the bodywork.

I hope this guide helps you guys and doesn't read too confusing. It really is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

If you would like to buy the products used above then please take a look below.

Basic Wash Kit A Compact Basic Kit

Elite Detailer Wash Kit As approved by Gurcharn of Elite Detailing. (As seen in the Wash guide)

Best Regards
Elite Detailer

p.s PLEASE NOTE THE BUCKETS ARE CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK FOR 4 WEEKS. :cry:

Thanks for the post... i will be popping in to see you Saturday to pick up the products ;)

Links to website aren't working, you might want to check those.

Good post!

What is a Drying Aid Quick Detailer?

Thanks

Lee

Old thread but interesting all the same. I have always kept my cars clean but tend to use the "no bucket method" (shampoo on the sponge) and a hose :roll:

I think I will do some product shopping..

The links above don't work by the way

Advice on a quick clean

I pretty much follow this three step process for when I'm doing a full clean, but my question is what do people tend to do for a quick clean. For example I cleaned mine last weekend and it looks fab, but last night some very dusty tree debris got blown all over it. So what would you do - a full clean again or can you get away with a quick rinse and dry or something else?

Any contact with the car has the potential to damage the paint work so the 'safe" option is to do a full wash......but if I judge that a jet wash will remove all debris and its then safe to dry the car I would consider that.....but my usual conclusion is if its that easy to remove all debris it would blow off by using the car in any case so personally its a full wash or nothing for me :wink:

...you can get modern 'dry wash" products which are remarkable, ONR being one of them which in theory envelope small contamination to prevent scratching but personally I use that as an additive to a wet wash and for doing door jams etc......than as a pure dry wash

Wow, what an honour to have Elite post on here. He still about?

Kind of agree it's full wash or nothing.

I tend to agree with the above. However, very occasionally I have used ONR on a lightly dirty car, when I don't have access to all my equipment, such as on holiday. It works well for me, just make sure you use plenty of clean microfiber towels :thumbs:

Here is some useful (un-sponsored) advice:

Given that the above links don't work, could someone enlighten me as to some decent products/product types to get?

I'm assuming Ph neutral shampoo, a couple of buckets with grit-guards and a load of micro-fibre towels and mitts. Is it necessary to have your own power wash or will a hose suffice?

As the weather is half decent today, I'd like to try and get it done if poss, so Halfords probably my best quick option - happy to wait if strongly advised against products available there.

dvn12345 said:
Given that the above links don't work, could someone enlighten me as to some decent products/product types to get?

I'm assuming Ph neutral shampoo, a couple of buckets with grit-guards and a load of micro-fibre towels and mitts. Is it necessary to have your own power wash or will a hose suffice?

As the weather is half decent today, I'd like to try and get it done if poss, so Halfords probably my best quick option - happy to wait if strongly advised against products available there.

There's dozens of thread on this 'Detailing ....' sub-forum that recommend numerous products. Just have a scroll down the thread titles. Many of the products will be available in Halfords but a lot won't.

T8 said:
dvn12345 said:

There's dozens of thread on this 'Detailing ....' sub-forum that recommend numerous products. Just have a scroll down the thread titles. Many of the products will be available in Halfords but a lot won't.

Thanks T8, had a good trawl through and got myself some starter stuff and a Karcher power washer. Managed to get a wash and dry in before the ridiculous weather today!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back