Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Upgraded my 997 Key

How to guide

Been meaning to write up a how to guide, and eventually found some time this evening.

I would love to give this a go, as I really dislike the Gen 1 key. I'm just not confident I could carry this out without disturbing / breaking something. The "Risk vs Reward" exercise goes on....

Do it!

Hi
I was a bit anxiuos, but straight forward and Elliott was great at giving advice. Those pictures make it even simpler.
New key feels so much better. I did one first, didn't want to end up with no keys. The old key gets destroyed a bit taking transponder out.
Ed

I upgraded earlier in the week, the instructions are spot on.

I can confirm the transponder extraction is the most challenging part since the glue is very strong and the plastic around it is tough so you need a good knife.

I scratched it slightly on extraction but it worked perfectly so its not totally fragile and as long as you are careful it's a straightforward job.

Borescoring said:
Is this a genuine porsche key or a copy?

Why that choice of user name? Do tell. Oh, and welcome to the Forum.

911_AS said:
Borescoring said:
Is this a genuine porsche key or a copy?

Why that choice of user name? Do tell. Oh, and welcome to the Forum.

:notagree:

Each to there own on usernames and all that but perhaps I would consider changing it. It's a little in bad taste, especially bearing in mind some of the terrible stories that have affected peoples wallets and their sanity in the pursuit of their passion.

Not so welcome from me :evil:

One post, signed up two days ago, no introduction and asking Elliot awkward questions. I'm in Birmingham, as this OP is, so feel the need to ensure a little 'clarity'. I for one am very pleased with my key, but as I suffer from fat fingers and the concentration level of a goldfish I had 'issues', which were rectified.

Otherwise it could be a simple explanation. The OP has suffered scoring, really has only just joined 911UK ( :eek: ), and is genuinely interested in the key? I'm not one to :judge: when I :dont know:.

Group buy

Hi all,

For those who've contacted me about the group buy, you should've received a message from me with details, as the keys have now arrived.

If for any reason I've missed anyone off, please drop me a PM :)

pm sent :wink:

Hi all,

Got my key yesterday in the post and I spent around 15 mins last night following the instructions.

It all seemed to be going to plan, but then the key didn't work - I was a bit peeved!

Then this morning I went through it all and found that it was the rubber casing that holds the processor board - I hadn't swapped it over!

All working fine now.

Going for my usual friday evening spin later and will start using my new key from now onwards.

Thank you Elliot, great instructions and support.

Received a pair of keys off Elliot
I have to say excellent service, and quality product
Took me about 30 mins max, to switch them over from the old units using a small screwdriver and a Gerber multi tool, at times I was a little bit heavy handed with the transponder but they both came out undamaged and function and start the car great :thumb:

Lambretta said:
Received a pair of keys of Elliot
Have to say excellent service and quality product
Took me about 30 mins max to switch them over from the old using a small screwdriver and a Gerber multi tool at times I was problem a bit heavy handed with the transponder but they both came out undamaged and function and start the car great :thumb:

Great to hear.

So glad I did mine 100% better than old versions. :D

I've still got a couple of key shells around so tempted to play around colour coding to match my car.
Haven't got much time at the moment, but should be able to share some results after Xmas break. :lol:

Having once spent the best part of 3 hours sweating, cursing and bleeding trying to follow a youtube instruction video to replace the battery in a Playstation 2 controller it is a huge relief that I shouldn't ever need to do this :pc:

Otherwise a great mod for you gen 1 guys :thumb:

Hi all
Please don't shoot me down in flames, but why the enthusiasm in changing the shell of the key?
I could understand it if it was a significant change like making it a folding key like say on an Audi .
But basically it just looks slightly different and black.

I'am all in for mods of any kind but this one just seems a little expensive for very little gain.
There again each to their own.

Will get back to you all when I've made a folding key version.
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back