Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayenne, warranty and a stand up Garage!

scottuk

Hockenheim
Ok I will try to keep this simple!

Two weeks ago, as I was about to leave for the airport to return to work, the dash on my Cayenne (Diesel) lit up like a cheap Xmas tree, and the car went into what I would call, limp mode.

I have a warranty supplied by the AA on the car, phoned them up and they said to take it to their authorised repairer in my area.....Halfords!! WTF!! I protested saying my car was not in need of a roof box, but more knowledgeable understanding of what may be at fault, after some discussion we agreed to put it to a local garage of their choice for a diagnostics check.

By this time I am in deepest Africa, and fretting about my car, got word back from the garage that they had carried out a check, but did not have a Porsche reader, instead read it with an Audi reader and felt that my EGR valve had failed, with estimate to replace at just shy of £1000. the AA then told me this was not covered, no surprise there then.

I then had a friend collect my car, to have it delivered to my Porsche Indy garage, for a second opinion, on collection, the original garage said they had cleared the code and the car was running fine, my friend has confirmed this with me. Once at my Indy, I told him the full story, he connected to his reader, sure enough no fault codes recorded, but he said he would like to keep my car, and with my permission would run it for a few days back and forward to his garage with the reader attached to see if it throws anything up, I called today, and he has said my car is running like a dream, no faults, and he was genuinely surprised to hear of a faulty EGR valve in the first place.

Now, the garage I bought my car from, have been very good during the whole process, they offered to cover half the bill to replace the valve after the warranty company washed their hands of it.

So I now have a decision to make, take my car back, without fully understanding why it went into limp mode in the first place and keep my fingers crossed, or have a new EGR valve fitted anyway at a 50% saving and at least rule out that item being at fault if the problem should re-appear?

Anyone have any thoughts? Apart from the AA warranty being sh1te and their Garage possibly trying to sting me for £1000 for nothing!

Cheers,

ScottUK

I'm sure your Indy is knowledgable in such matters, but ensue that the wires for the circuit showing the EGR valve fault are free from corrosion and in good order.
Our cayenne was showing ABS and PSM faults with "workshop" warnings on the dash. It has just been returned from the OPC and fitted with a new ABS pump, £2200 fitted inc vat.. Only for them to discover that the fault was still showing with the new pump fitted... Fault finally traced to a corroded wire on the circuit that shows the fault warning..
New ABS pump not required, but already fitted and coded to the car.
When speaking with the mechanic at the OPC it seems common for problems shown on the Cayenne to be wiring based.

Hi F15HAR,

They are complex machines for sure.

I have basically delivered my car to my Indy in fine health and he is looking for a problem that has been diagnosed by a third party.

He is also happy for me to take my car away without doing anything, but as I can fit a new EGR valve at basically half price, I'm going to have it change out anyway.

Hopefully this will put an end to the pretty lights on my dash making an un-wanted appearance!

Scott.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back