Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PASM failure... Ouch

Roughly what are we talking cost wise to rebuild PASM shocks and how long could it take? Is it significantly cheaper and reasonably convenient compared to buying new PASM shocks. Also the shocks look very corroded, is this just superficial, or better off buying new and taking the hit all things considered?

I must say commuting in my "PASM deactivated" sportish mode killed me this morning - its bone jarring through town, then quite eary/unnerving when cornering as you dont have PASM adjusting all the time. I really dont like it, cant wait to get fixed up!

just been on to Bilstein Leicester , they can refurb the shock to original factory spec for £80+Vat per corner, and its takes around 4-5 days to turn it around.

That is good. How hard is it to get it off the car ?

Can you provide a contact or contact number?

MODS - is it ok to put contact details into a thread?

Thanks
Mark

slackster said:
just been on to Bilstein Leicester , they can refurb the shock to original factory spec for £80+Vat per corner, and its takes around 4-5 days to turn it around.

That's brilliant news, a fraction of the cost of new... Just 4-5 days of pain.... Got to come up with a plan...

Sausage said:
That is good. How hard is it to get it off the car ?

Can you provide a contact or contact number?

MODS - is it ok to put contact details into a thread?

Thanks
Mark

Here's the link:
http://www.ileicestershire.com/profile/186670/Leicester/Bilstein-UK/

Apparently they only rebuild internals, outside remains as is. Price is very tempting, just got to sweet talk the garage into having my car with them for at least five days!

I got front B6 PASM shocks from Rose Passion in France for £250 each. Depending on the age of your car budget on replacing top mounts as well - mine were both rusted solid to the struts. Indeed this problem may prevent a refurb of the original shocks. Incidentally when I enquired I was told Bilstein can't refurb front B4 PASMs so beware you don't end up really testing the goodwil of your garage!

Nick

nickdav80 said:
I got front B6 PASM shocks from Rose Passion in France for £250 each. Depending on the age of your car budget on replacing top mounts as well - mine were both rusted solid to the struts. Indeed this problem may prevent a refurb of the original shocks. Incidentally when I enquired I was told Bilstein can't refurb front B4 PASMs so beware you don't end up really testing the goodwil of your garage!

Nick

That's very helpful info, thank-you. B4 fronts,,are they the PASMs fitted to the 997? It's the fronts I need to do. Car is a 55 reg, so I guess top mounts are worth doing as well.

I have just prepared myself for a week of cycling to work, mines a daily driver, but I figure if its saving £800 it's worth the trek.

B4 PASMs are standard fit, B6 PASMs are the same length but uprated and B8 PASMs are uprated and shorter for lowered cars. At risk of shrieks of disgust from purists I'll confirm there's no problem with B6s on front and B4s on the back. I only chose B6s as they are cheaper on the front and would gladly have saved more money if I could.

Best of luck with the fix and please update the forum when it's done so others can see what's involved.

Nick

nickdav80 said:

Nick

Just to update, thanks Nick, yes confirmed the B4s can't be rebuilt. I bit the bullet and stuck with oe shocks, also had to do bump stops, top mounts and drop links all in its just over £1,600 from an Indy.

As it turns out that was a helpful revival of a dead thread.

I have a slight clonk in the right hand side front suspension, and as much as I hope it might be a drop link bush (I've done about 63,000km on a 2010 car), it might well be time for a set of Bilstein B8 PASM front dampers... at least I now know what I'm looking for.

these dampers give up at anytime and there are no real warning signs nor is it related to mileage or usage.

mine just gave up one day and I noticed a load of oil and grease on the inside of the front wheels. PASM failure and no warning. they were 13 years old so done pretty well.

they can go at 30k or 60k or 90k.

I went for OEM replacements as its a daily road car.

clarkey979 said:
then quite eary/unnerving when cornering as you dont have PASM adjusting all the time. I really dont like it, cant wait to get fixed up!

I should say that's psychological, the OEM PASM doesn't adjust on the fly. Just literally gives you two damper rates. Unless you have an aftermarket controller. You are riding around in the harder setting which I can imagine isn't fun, but you've not lost any other functionality other than a softer damper setup.

Some info as it's not just hard or soft i feel but a predetermined map based on road conditions and which setting is selected ..

We could do with a report button .. these Norton / Mcafee .. virus links i expect are starting to get annoying .

Attachments

• pasm3_1_738.jpg
    pasm3_1_738.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 2,304
  • pasm2_1_190.jpg
    pasm2_1_190.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 2,304
  • pasm1_1_162.jpg
    pasm1_1_162.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 2,304

New Threads

Forum statistics