Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Concerns with buying my first 911

HeroOfSpielburg

Hey all,

I've done a little reading and what I've heard is the SCs and 3.2s are one of the sweet spots combining classic charm with the more modern improvements over the series, great for a first 911 to own. That works out well because I'm 33 and have been waiting to get one for the last 25 years so that's the body style I remember most fondly.

What I've seen on other threads in this forum is that despite the galvanization the body started receiving in the mid 70s, rust is still a problem with these cars and starts from the inside out. This also seems to be the thing that people say is the worst problem to get stuck with, even engine rebuilds or a new gearbox are nothing compared to the trouble with fixing an internal chronic rust issue.

So, I'm nervous now and wondering exactly how common is it cars from this era do rust? Is there a leak in a seal somewhere that allows moisture to get inside the body? Is the only way to have prevented this a full life of being garage-kept? Also, after I buy one am I setting myself up for disaster unless I keep it in a garage as well?

I don't understand enough about what conditions make this an issue and what percent of cars still on the road are going to have these problems. I am very motivated to learn, though. If anyone can give me some perspective to help set my expectations, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks guys!
Dave

Basically there is no plastic underbody/wheelarch protection on the SC and 3.2 that Porsche introduced on the later cars.

So over time, no matter how well they were painted, the rust starts somewhere/everywhere under the arches. You will see that most adverts list new sills and new 'kidney bowls' etc etc, and they go around the headlights as well.

Budget for the work, or buy one that someone has already done for you... and budget for the work again just in case it wasn't done well enough. :thumb:

As above the condition of the body is vital on a late impact bumper 911.
As a side issue I would go for an sc over a Carrera if all other things were equal.
The sc has a revvier engine and a lovely kick in the power delivery which makes it more rewarding to drive than a Carrera which has a more linear power delivery.

I am officially bored with rust. My 964 has already had rust/rot cut out and bits of welding in the usual places i.e. near tail lights, behind shark fins etc. Rust around the front screen has already been dealt with prior to my ownership and its appearing again! Also have rust under the headlight.

Best place to store your car will be a dry garage. I kept my 964 outside last winter and it was my daily driver (whatever the weather) and think I have that to thank for the rust I am now having to deal with.

Agree with all other replies - either buy one that you can afford to get sorted or buy one that is already sorted and keep a car fund topped up!

orangecurry said:
Basically there is no plastic underbody/wheelarch protection on the SC and 3.2 that Porsche introduced on the later cars.

So over time, no matter how well they were painted, the rust starts somewhere/everywhere under the arches. You will see that most adverts list new sills and new 'kidney bowls' etc etc, and they go around the headlights as well.

Budget for the work, or buy one that someone has already done for you... and budget for the work again just in case it wasn't done well enough. :thumb:

Ah, that explains a lot, thanks. This gives me some new research topics and a place to look when evaluating cars.

kas750 said:
As a side issue I would go for an sc over a Carrera if all other things were equal.
The sc has a revvier engine and a lovely kick in the power delivery which makes it more rewarding to drive than a Carrera which has a more linear power delivery.

Thanks for the recommendation! Even though the 3.2 has more HP, the pickup from standing or low speeds is more pronounced on the SC?

Buy the best example, you can find, hold back a few ££££ for a bill or two later on. Go look at a few get a good idea of what you want.

HeroOfSpielburg said:
kas750 said:

Thanks for the recommendation! Even though the 3.2 has more HP, the pickup from standing or low speeds is more pronounced on the SC?
The sc has less low down torque than a Carrera but it does have a step in the power delivery as the revs build which makes it more rewarding in my opinion.

Get the bodywork inspected by someone that knows older Porsche bodywork and nobody else, no matter how many later cars they have in the workshop.
:thumb:

Don't get too hung up on mechanicals only. I bought a 3.2 with a solid rebuilt engine and gearbox and a new clutch.

Turned out to need more money spending just on bodywork than my current Porsche 993 cost me to buy.

In my case it would have been cheaper to buy a solid shell and go engine hunting!
:grin:

I love the impact bumper cars (Join the 'Impact bumpers' forum too mate, they are a great help). I was looking at a black/black 930 Turbo about a month ago, that to me is THE Porsche 911.

As I looked at it I could almost feel the reaper behind me, puncturing my wallet and my heart with a single sweep of a rusty scythe...
:eek:

clarkycat said:
Get the bodywork inspected by someone that knows older Porsche bodywork and nobody else, no matter how many later cars they have in the workshop.

Don't get too hung up on mechanicals only. I bought a 3.2 with a solid rebuilt engine and gearbox and a new clutch.

Turned out to need more money spending just on bodywork than my current Porsche 993 cost me to buy.

In my case it would have been cheaper to buy a solid shell and go engine hunting!

I love the impact bumper cars (Join the 'Impact bumpers' forum too mate, they are a great help). I was looking at a black/black 930 Turbo about a month ago, that to me is THE Porsche 911.

As I looked at it I could almost feel the reaper behind me, puncturing my wallet and my heart with a single sweep of a rusty scythe...

Thanks for all the advice. Does underbody rust prevention spray help any once any problems have been treated? I have read that can adversely trap existing rust or debris if the frame isn't sufficiently clean. Maybe this is something a shop can do up on a lift?

In my experience it's the bits you cannot possibly see that cost the ££££

Front wheels throw everything up into the wing and at the headlight bowls, so the whole top seam of the wing, the scuttles and the area round the headlights effectively get 30 years of being bead blasted by wet crud. When they show from above it's just the tips of what is coming from below.

Likewise the rear wheels are throwing stuff right down into the bowls of the car, the back of the B pillar in the door openings, the seam where the rear wing meets the engine bay, the rear lights and the inner sills/kidney bowls all get a pasting, so by the time you get a 'penny sized' bubble in the outer sill, it's gone through layers of metal to get that far.

Don't despair, my quest is to save someone being shown all this AFTER purchase (like me!).

Just get anything checked properly.

clarkycat said:

There are many models, of 911 out there that are poor not just 930's.

The biggest problem, many 930 owners buy them and drive them but spend no more on there upkeep. That is why so many poor examples, turn up for sale needing £££££.
Buy the best example you can find, I looked at 12 before I bought my one. My one a solid base Top End etc done already, off to LeMans next year in it again.

SEE YA said:
The biggest problem, many 930 owners buy them and drive them but spend no more on there upkeep. That is why so many poor examples, turn up for sale needing £££££.
Buy the best example you can find, I looked at 12 before I bought my one. My one a solid base Top End etc done already, off to LeMans next year in it again.

Yeah, I really want to have the patience to look at and drive a good number before I buy one. Unfortunately I live in Sweden and haven't found a fair number as easily as those that show up in UK auction sites. :\

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back