Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Garage Floor Tiles

Ace stuff.

A college I work at stripped this stuff out of their gym last year, it had been down for ten years but was still not even slightly worn. I grabbed what I needed and did my garage in under an hour.

Bye bye poxing around with floor paint!
:thumb:

DSC05235.jpg

DSC05237.jpg

IMG-20121025-00067.jpg

Looks good and sounds like you got a good deal :thumb:

What thickness are they 4mm, 6mm, or 7mm ???

Also do they move or flex when you walk or drive on them ? I only ask as it says can be laid on an uneven floor and although I don't have a badly uneven floor it is bare concrete and not screeded so was worried about potential movement between tiles.

Without looking I'd say 7mm as they are very thick. Heavy too so they don't lift, and the keying is very tight. If it was that uneven I'd get a flooring company to wet latex it, that would not cost much at all and take minutes.

My concrete was brand new and even two years in was too green for floor paint (even 50/50 with thinners) to take well enough to stop lifting where hot tyres sat.

My concern fitting these tiles was after parking they would stick to the tyre and lift when I got the car out, no problems at all, and they are laid and not stuck down.

Great for working on the bikes too, and one bucket of hot soapy water and you could eat your tea off it.

:thumb:

I did the same with my garage floor using the coin type interlocking tiles and they keep the garage more dust free and its easy to clean up spills but one thing to be wary of when lifting the car, it's quite slippy compared to concrete.

clarkycat said:
My concrete was brand new and even two years in was too green for floor paint (even 50/50 with thinners) to take well enough to stop lifting where hot tyres sat.
My garage floor is at least 5 years old but apparently made of toffee, as two lots (two coats each) of garage floor paint applied in the last two summers have lifted as you describe.
Have been thinking of laying these tiles next spring. What did you use to cut them to width at the walls? Do you think a guillotine-type laminate cutter would work on them?

Red993C4 said:
My garage floor is at least 5 years old but apparently made of toffee, as two lots (two coats each) of garage floor paint applied in the last two summers have lifted as you describe.

If it's that old you 'might be alright' to try again...

Trick is to mix 50/50 paint and white spirit. You can actually hear 'hiss,hiss,hiss' the concrete sucking the spirit (and paint) in on the first coat which obviously provides a great bond that neat paint slapped on never will.

Any moisture or oil will sweat it straight out again though.
:

Clarkycat,
Lovely looking floor and even better car, from the photograph looks a bit tight at the sides, do you have an elevator that comes down to the sunroof :)

Have you never seen a cat squeeze through a 2" door gap?

Ocean Blue said:
Clarkycat,
Lovely looking floor and even better car, from the photograph looks a bit tight at the sides, do you have an elevator that comes down to the sunroof :)

And 911's are not very wide either!

I'll see if I have a picture of my Esprit in the same garage, I had to get the passenger mirror touching the (carpeted) wall just to be able to open the drivers side. The 911 by comparison is a doddle.

Yes GT4, even 2" would pose no problem. Much like Octopussy's, we cats are able to squeeze into amost any space with the only limitation being the size of our beak.
:?

clarkycat said:
And 911's are not very wide either!

I think you mean Aircooled 911s.

original-1964-porsche-911-and-the-type-991-2013-porsche-911-carrera-4s_100417990_l-602x363.jpg

I bet I could get your cats through almost any gap :bandit:

Classic picture!

'The plot, and how I lost it' if I'm not mistaken...

:wink:

Out of interest, what do people put on the floor to catch oil drips? My car is a 964, so it is normal and healthy for it to drip in a few places. Any tips?

wagonface said:
Out of interest, what do people put on the floor to catch oil drips? My car is a 964, so it is normal and healthy for it to drip in a few places. Any tips?

Buy a 993?
:grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back