Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 DAB

neiltynlon

Hi Guys

I see the DAB is a standard option in the configurator on 2014 991. Does anyone know if it can be retro-fitted on a PCM upgrade ?

As yet unknown, but you aren't the only person waiting for an answer (there have been threads elsewhere). As I understand it the DAB enabled cars aren't shipping yet, so I very much doubt that an answer will emerge until they are.

Had a call yesterday about my order. The 2014 cars with DAB are June build so should see in the UK early July.

Delayed my car to wait for DAB.

Cheers guys.

In an ideal world, I'd have waited for a My14 car, but the reality was I was willing to forego the ability to listen to Talk Sport for a saving on a showroom car of nearly £8k which was pretty close to my idal spec !

It would definitely be a sweetener if it could be retro-fitted at a reasonable cost !

DAB

If it's not available as a retrofit and at a reasonable cost then when the digital switchover happens the FM radios in our 991s and other Porsche models will no longer be able to receive any radio broadcast, so they will be useless other than for an iPod or MP3 player. Also the Sat Nav will no longer be able to provide Traffic Information as this is broadcast on FM as well.

The Government published the latest version of it's Digital Radio Action Plan last October and I wish I had read that before buying my 991 in January (it was a stock showroom model). The bottom line is that the target date for digital switchover is still 2015 and a decision on that will be made by the end of 2013. :x

Here is the full document www.gov.uk/government/publications/digital-radio

I still don't see FM going away any time soon. The criteria includes gems like :
"We have also been clear that any radio switchover must be consumer-led. Only when the majority of listeners have chosen to adopt and use digital technologies could the case for radio switchover be made"

Currently "digital listening" is about a third of the radio audience (the vast majority of which is domestic - this number including digital radio stations delivered over digital tv) and ~75% of cars being produced today still have no provision for it.

"When the decision is made to set a firm date for Digital Radio Switchover, it will be the criteria, not the timetable, which take precedence."

The thing is - global penetration of DAB is not proceeding at the rate that governments originally expected and the above wording to me implies that they are reserving the right to push it back as far as is convenient.

DAB retro-fit option

Wrote to my OPC dealer a few days ago about the option of retro-fitting DAB, will let the forum know the answer once it arrives.

DAB retrofit option

Just to let the forum know that I have heard nothing from the OPC - will give them a gentle reminder that I am still waiting for an answer. Has anyone else looked at this issue?

Re: DAB retrofit option

g6yog said:
Just to let the forum know that I have heard nothing from the OPC - will give them a gentle reminder that I am still waiting for an answer. Has anyone else looked at this issue?

My guess is there won't be a DAB retrofit from Porsche.

I have a new car with DAB (and it's great). However, here is a bit of odd feedback for you.... If you select DAB and then get out of your car the radio will still be on DAB when you get back in and turn the car on. However, if you select DAB and then select BT streaming, then turn the car off and get out, the car will default to FM radio when you get back in (because BT takes about 50 seconds to reconnect).

Bit frustrating, as you would think it would default to DAB?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back