Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front ducts

Pretty much as Jonttt's post but I did thoroughly wet sand the mouldings with 800 grit and then 1200 grit paper prior to applying a high build primer, I then flatted the primer with 1200 and the base coat with 1200 - 2000 grit paper and plenty of clean water. Finally I flatted the clear coat prior to polishing, this will leave a perfectly smooth mirror like finish that will have no orange peel whatsoever.
A tack cloth was used prior to primer, base coat and clear.

Wet sanding will reveal any high or low spots that are in the moulding or that can be caused by applying to much paint in one go.

A dry and dust free enviroment is paramount. Outside on a damp day is a no no.

Don't get too excited with the progress that you are making and rush the job, allow sufficient drying time prior to wet sanding to ensure that the paint is not too soft otherwise you could ruin what you have done by accidentally marking paint that is too soft with the slip of a finger nail or small piece of grit on the wet & dry.

When you have finished and are admiring the professional finish that you have achieved don't get tempted to move on to painting larger parts of your car :hand:

I am ducted. Got these fitted and they look great. Massive improvement IMHO. If you are debating it, do it. Makes the front end look more modern an the led sidelights look far more OEM here than in the standard aprtures.

:thumb:

They are cool aren't they and the easiest reversion back to oem you could wish for.

Did you get the £100 copies and if so how well did they fit ie pics please to show off your hands work :wink:

Matthew at Type 911 is a great guy to deal with.
Often gives me advice, and sometimes you can see its to save me money, and not line his pockets.
He's very erudite into the bargain.
Very dry indeed

He's got a beautiful blue 993 Turbo.

Been to see these Ducts this morning.
They are injection moulded plastic.
Far better than glass fibre ones.
Lot less prep to paint.
And a lot stronger, they really look the part.
Correct Hella spot as well.

Attachments

• duct_not_duck_133.jpg
    duct_not_duck_133.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 6,838
So whats the verdict - on balance any benefit of paying up for the genuine articles that johnttt used? (assuming I want an LED version too)

These were the copies. If my tech skills stretched beyond turning the ipad on I would post pics. Up close I can see a bit of orange peel if I'm honest but I'm happy enough. Buy them from Type 911 with confidence.

highway said:
These were the copies. If my tech skills stretched beyond turning the ipad on I would post pics. Up close I can see a bit of orange peel if I'm honest but I'm happy enough. Buy them from Type 911 with confidence.

Thks, and to confirm the lamps are LEDs?

highway said:

How did you go with the painting?

Looking forward to seeing some painted and fitted ones on a dark car (i.e. Highway's or Cameron's) as they look great and easily visible on lighter cars (i.e. silver) but not sure how visible they will be on a darker colour.

Been considering this myself for a while since I say them on Stocksie's old cobalt 993S which looked great (but again a lighter colour)

This is the closest I've found (interesting silver ducts on a dark car)

l_marcel_nl_1_000.jpg

If it makes it any easier to decide I think in hindsight I would have bought the copies.

Its a 5 min job to rub them down as a key and prime them for painting (ie the only difference to OEM appears to be they are primed from factory).

Once they are painted I don't think you would notice a difference so why pay significantly more than you have to now that you know about these :dont know:

RobIpswichUK said:

Hey Rob, thanks for posting this pic.. I was considering going silver on mine also when I saw this GT2 at Goodwood. They really looked good.

cambjones said:
RobIpswichUK said:

Hey Rob, thanks for posting this pic.. I was considering going silver on mine also when I saw this GT2 at Goodwood. They really looked good.

I agree Cam.

I was discussing the same thing with Jontt as The Oulton Park Gold Cup.

I've been thinking about having them for a while and was thinking that I would have them as another "Steel Grey" accent like the wing mirrors etc.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back