Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Sports Exhaust system just fitted

I had the PSE fitted by my local official Porsche centre who also supplied it.
I must say I'm rather disappointed considering what I paid for it.
Forgive my ignorance does the rear centre muffler have any bearing on the sound? in other words if they had replaced that as well would it sound better?

Yes, it does. By how much, I don't know.

Check with them and make sure that the current PSE still includes the centre silencer, Porsche may have changed the spec. You do need to give it a few thousand miles and unplug it for it to have the best results, though. Mine's been on for about 8k miles now and is still deepening in tone :)

In the engine bay, on the RHS near the intake plenum, there's a black plug going to a grey box that's got some small black tubing going to it. Unplug that, and Robert's your mother's brother. No more silencing at low speeds, although you lose the ability to switch between loud and quiet modes. You'll need to remember to plug it back in once every couple of months to cycle the solenoids.

Just looking at your location, I'm wondering if there's a very good reason they didn't change your centre silencer. There are a few different silencers for use in different countries around the world depending on their local noise limits, and it's not impossible that either AD have the loudest one already or the OPC are not legally allowed to fit the PSE silencer as it goes a fraction above the allowed limit. The latter is highly unlikely, the former very possible.

Flameout said:
This one?
Yup, your first pic :thumb:

Pull the metal clip out towards the RHS of the car as you look at it, then pull the black plug out and cable tie it to one of those black pipes next to it. You should also bag it off with a small plastic bag too, to stop any crap getting in there.

I'm just starting this thread up again as there will be more 997 gen2 owners who have experienced either (a) Standard Exhaust, (b) PSE, & (c) Aftermarket Exhaust.

I'm currently pulling together prices for different options that have a electronic Open / Close valve system.

My favourite I've seen to date is the IPE system (OMG it's so impressive for an F1 997.2) though the price is enough to incite a divorce proceedings :grin:

Anyway... Is Porsche Sport Exhaust a total let down as this post previously years ago or does anyone have it on a 3.6 and thinks it's actually really good?

I'm not going to spank £2k on a PSE whilst under warranty for it to sound like kids whispering at the back of a classroom (or 911 in this case)

Everyone's opinion would really help, so please write your own thoughts and reviews for a PSE on a 997.2 DFI :thumb:

Reading everyone's review over the past year, the ideal solution seems to be PSE cans and Sharkwerks/H&S cross over pipe. I've not heard it in person but the general consensus seems to be that is spot on in releasing the noise, without the drone.

From what guys with Gen2 cars are saying, the first thing to do is the H&S set up on the back as that does away with the Gen2 rear big box. The H&S is the same as the sharkerks but cheaper as they are a UK company. try this first and then decide if you want more or your good with just that as some say its perfect other say if you then do PSE its too much whereas other like the PSE as well. As Exhaust note is a very personal thing only you will know if just the H&S hits the spot. but as its the cheapest component its a good place to start.
There was another group buy being discussed a few weeks ago so even cheaper, also Haywood and Scott will fit it if you go to them.

https://www.haywardandscott.com/por...7-gen-2-centre-silencer-replacement-pipe.html

Fitting any aftermarket exhaust items will affect that area under warranty but only the exhaust area, so that needs to be considered.

Hi FZP and Phil... I'm just back in the office and I'm going to have a look at some YouTube videos. Before I do I'm looking at the full Porsche parts lists anyone can download off the Internet for their Porsche variant. It's 500+ pages long but the stock exhaust and the PSE are on pages 54, 55, 56, etc with every Porsche part items number and a nice exploded picture of showing the individual parts with a key.

I'm looking at the 'front muffler' and I can't see any difference. So not being a skin flint I might order the side mufflers and electronic pack. Because if I'm going to do away with the front muffler it's ridiculous to pay for something to never use it.

Also Porsche rush the twin tail pipes for the best part of £600, when we all know we can get them for 1 / 3rd of that.

I'm thinking I might have a meeting with the parts people at OPC to discuss my options. Whilst I'm there I'll ask them to fire up a 997.2 that has PSE to understand what members are on about with regards to the sound difference.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back