Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2013 Race 19 & 20 Brand Hatch

Porsche News

Brands Hatch finale for Carrera Cup GB title race

Michael Meadows heads Jonas Gelzinis by 17 points
Rory Butcher, Dan Lloyd and Dean Stoneman battle for third
Victor Jimenez heads Pro-Am1 pack

Michael Meadows and Jonas Gelzinis will head to Brands Hatch (12/13 October) vying for the overall title in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB, the fastest one-make category in British motor racing.

By the end of Sunday afternoon, either Meadows or Gelzinis will be confirmed as 2013 champion in the fabulous 460bhp 911 GT3 Cup cars. Drivers, like Richard Westbrook, Danny Watts and Ben Barker have used the Carrera Cup as a springboard into international sports and GT racing, including the Porsche Supercup and now the class of 2013 is aiming to emulate that success.

Following the penultimate race weekend at Silverstone, this is a simple two-way fight for the title and it is defending champion Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) who has the advantage heading to Brands Hatch. Meadows has a 17-point lead over Gelzinis (Juta Racing) and needs, for instance, two top four finishes to be sure of the title.

However, Meadows knows better than most how things can change in a moment. Twice this season he has seen a 20-point lead eroded and he is taking nothing for granted. 'Brands GP is a fantastic circuit and I'd love to go there and win it in style," said Meadows. 'But Jonas will be fast there: he's been fast everywhere and he won at Brands last year in the wet."

Gelzinis, meanwhile, has battled away all season and would love nothing more than to take the title back to Lithuania. 'Brands Hatch is always my favourite track and I will be doing my best," he said.

Of course, while Meadows and Gelzinis focus on each other and points, three other drivers will be all-out for race wins as they dispute third place in the championship. Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed), Daniel Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) and Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) are split by just 19 points and have all been race winners this season.

In Pro-Am1, Victor Jimenez secured the title last time out at Silverstone after some mighty battles with his Redline Racing team mate Dan De Zille. Now that the championship is settled, they can both race hard for more Pro-Am1 wins, while George Brewster (Celtic Speed) will be aiming to get into the contest as well.

After qualifying at 14.05 on Saturday (12 October), round 19 of the Carrera Cup GB will start at 10.00 on Sunday (13 October) with round 20 at 15.35, which will be broadcast live on ITV4.

Attachments

• brands8_194.jpg
    brands8_194.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 18,794
Stoneman tops Carrera Cup GB test at Brands

Dean Stoneman tops the testing times at Brands Hatch
Title rivals Michael Meadows and Jonas Gelzinis are second and third
Dan De Zille heads Pro-Am1 from Victor Jimenez

Dean Stoneman was the man at the top of the times at the end of pre-race testing in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Friday 11 October).

Heading into the final race weekend of the season, Stoneman (Redline Racing) emerged quickest on a day of tricky track conditions that left the best times around 10 seconds shy of the best dry weather pace. Having won both races on the Brands Hatch Indy circuit at the start of the season, Stoneman is determined to wrap up his season with more success at the Kent track.

For both Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) and Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing), the main focus is the contest for the overall title where Meadows starts the weekend with a 17-point lead. They ended testing second and third fastest and split by only three-tenths of a second, so their battle will go down to the wire.

With only seven tenths of a second covering the top five drivers, the stage is set for two hard-fought races and it was Daniel Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) who just edged Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) for fourth best time.

However, it was even closer in Pro-Am1 as Dan De Zille pipped his Redline Racing team mate Victor Jimenez by only five-hundredths of a second. Although Jimenez settled the Pro-Am1 title at Silverstone, both drivers want to finish the season with a double win on the fabulous Grand Prix circuit at Brands Hatch.

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) championship leader:
'It was a good day but the conditions weren't ideal. The fact that it was neither fully wet nor fully dry made it difficult, but the pace was good."

Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) fastest in Pro-Am1:
'We not had a lot of wet weather running recently, so it was good to get some in today. Fingers' crossed for the weekend: I always love the Grand Prix circuit at Brands."

Attachments

• brands9_178.jpg
    brands9_178.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 18,742
Butcher wins Michelin award in Carrera Cup GB

Rory Butcher is the tenth and final Porsche Carrera Cup GB racer of the 2013 season to win a set of tyres as part of Michelin's long-standing support of the championship. Butcher's name was drawn from a hat ahead of rounds 19 and 20 at Brands Hatch this weekend (12/13 October).

Butcher, who races with Celtic Speed, has been one of the championship front-runners all season and currently lies third in the overall title race heading into the last two races of the season. His year to date has been topped by a resounding double victory in challenging conditions at Rockingham last month.

Having been the control tyre supplier for the Carrera Cup GB since the championship was created in 2003, Michelin is once more supporting the teams and drivers with the award of a complete set of slick racing tyres at each event. Before the start of testing at each race weekend, a name is drawn from a hat to receive the tyres, with a value of more than £1200.

Attachments

• brands10_418.jpg
    brands10_418.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 18,724
Porsche Carrera Cup GB TV coverage continues

The next coverage of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB in the Motorsport UK series will be broadcast on the night of Sunday 20 October on ITV1 and will also be shown on ITV4 on Saturday 19 October.

The hour-long Motorsport UK programmes is again covering all of this season's Carrera Cup GB action.

Motorsport UK will be broadcast as follows:
Saturday 19 October at 9.10am on ITV4
Monday 21 October at 2.15am on ITV1

Meadows takes double Carrera Cup GB pole at Brands

Michael Meadows takes important double pole
Rory Butcher heads the chase of the championship leader
Dan De Zille takes Pro-Am1 pole for both races

Michael Meadows dominated qualifying for the final two rounds the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Saturday 12 October), taking pole position for both races and scoring two more championship points.

In dry and bright conditions, Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) took charge of the 30-minute session and set the pace throughout as the times came down lap by lap. At one stage, Meadows had a half-second margin over his rivals, but as the fastest laps came during the closing laps it was Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) who led the chase of Meadows.

As the top five drivers all lapped underneath Nick Tandy's lap record, Meadows set a best of 1m28.144s and a second best lap of 1m28.181s to bag both poles and extend his championship lead over Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) to 19 points. Butcher got to within three-tenths of a second of the pole time as he took second slot for both races.

In the final moments of the session Daniel Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) jumped up to third for both races as Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) and Gelzinis shared fourth and fifth places. It was a troubled session for title contender Gelzinis, who was initially slowed by a vibration and then ran out of time to get the best from his second set of tyres.

In Pro-Am1, Dan De Zille set a cracking pace to head Redline Racing team mate Victor Jimenez as Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) and George Brewster (Celtic Speed) shared third places.

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) fastest overall:
'That's exactly what we wanted. With the weather forecast for tomorrow, you want to be at the front. We're really happy with where we are at and two more championship points is good."

Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) second overall:
'I'm really happy with P2 for both races. It was such a buzz out there and I gave every single corner my all. I had a big spin at Stirling's when I pushed the limits just a bit too far."

Daniel Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) third overall:
'I think the times came down as everyone got used to the Grand Prix circuit in the dry. I should have found a little more time."

Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) fastest in Pro-Am1:
'I'm very happy! I've not done the Grand Prix circuit for a couple of years. The first couple of laps were a bit of an eye-opener around the back. It's a straight fight with Victor for Pro-Am 1 wins tomorrow."

Round 19 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows 1m28.144s; 2 Rory Butcher 1m28.445s; 3 Dan Lloyd 1m28.513s. Pro-Am1 category: 1 Dan De Zille 1m29.719s; 2 Victor Jimenez 1m30.340s; 3 Justin Sherwood 1m30.475s.

Round 20 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows 1m28.181s; 2 Rory Butcher 1m28.526s; 3 Dan Lloyd 1m28.650s. Pro-Am1 category: 1 Dan De Zille 1m29.786s; 2 Victor Jimenez 1m30.384s; 3 George Brewster 1m31.153s.

Attachments

• brands11_831.jpg
    brands11_831.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 18,699
Butcher dominates Carrera Cup GB round 19

Rory Butcher takes commanding victory in tough conditions
Jonas Gelzinis keeps title hopes open with second
Victor Jimenez takes Pro-Am1 victory

Rory Butcher was the class of the field when he took a resounding victory in round 19 of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Sunday 13 October). On a soaking wet track, Butcher swept clear of the pack to win by over seven seconds. Meanwhile, Jonas Gelzinis beat Michael Meadows for second to keep his title hopes alive going into the final race.

Butcher (Celtic Speed) jumped ahead at the first corner and pulled immediately clear as the fast-starting Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) ran wide and lost ground. Meadows slotted into second as Stoneman stormed back into contention and soon dived past Meadows. However, Stoneman's bold charged ended on lap six when he slid off and into the barriers at Graham Hill Bend.

Now it was Gelzinis (Juta Racing) moving in on Meadows and the championship leader did not defend too hard when Gelzinis pulled level on the run to Hawthorns. Gelzinis then eased clear, but Butcher was long gone and reeled off the remaining laps for a fine win in treacherous conditions.

Meadows was content to run home a safe third and now only needs to finish this afternoon's final race to be champion. Behind, Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) was one of several drivers to spin on the running water at Graham Hill Bend but soon fought back to take fourth and was closing on Meadows at the finish.

In Pro-Am1, Victor Jimenez drove a fine race to take the category as Redline Racing team mate Dan De Zille spun at Graham Hill Bend. De Zille then fought back, but slid out of the race at Druids on lap 10. Instead, series newcomer Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) took a great second place and was chasing Jimenez at the finish.

Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) first overall:
'Absolutely spot on: I can't believe I won by that much. It was pretty tough; the car was spinning up and sliding in a straight line. There was a lot of standing water out there and I was just trying to find the grip."

Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) second overall:
'It was very difficult. I thought if I gave up in this race it would be boring in the next race. There was a lot of standing water and it was difficult just to finish and there was a lot of risk."

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) third overall:
'There was no chance of me taking any chances out there. I pushed Rory hard for the first three laps and it seemed quite good. But once the race settled down if anyone came behind me I just let them go. All I've got to do is finish the last race."

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) Pro-Am1 winner:
'Today the track was very complicated with three or four rivers across the track. It was very tough with this car, but I enjoy these conditions because it is fun. But the weather is a shame for the fans."

Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) second in Pro-Am1:
'I was just pleased to bring it home because the conditions were unbelievable. I was having aquaplaning moments all around the track. At one point I was catching Victor, but I made too many mistakes on one lap and decided to bring it home."

Round 19 result:
Pro category: 1 Rory Butcher; 2 Jonas Gelzinis; 3 Michael Meadows.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Victor Jimenez; 2 Justin Sherwood; 3 George Brewster.

9a1f87b433fc69413d771267d455b54fc6cb4c7cd59d1b15c6ece910.jpg

Attachments

• brands12_112.jpg
    brands12_112.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 18,664
  • brands13_117.jpg
    brands13_117.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 18,664
Stoneman takes race and Meadows takes Carrera Cup title

Michael Meadows secures championship with cautious race
Dean Stoneman takes late victory from Dan Lloyd
Dan De Zille wins Pro-Am1 category

Dean Stoneman and Michael Meadows were the big winners in the final round of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Sunday 13 October). While Stoneman won the race after a last-lap touch with long-time leader Dan Lloyd, Meadows secured back-to-back titles with a measured drive to sixth.

Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) sat on pole, but elected to start from the pit lane. Knowing that he only needed to finish the race to beat Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) to the title, he opted to avoid any chance of a first-lap problem.

Up front, Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) shot ahead of Stoneman (Redline Racing) as Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) escaped a first corner touch with Stoneman to slot into third. Meadows, meanwhile, joined the race at the back and set about driving round, just staying out of trouble.

Lloyd did everything right until the final couple of laps when Stoneman was able to close down a margin of around a second. Into Paddock for the final lap, Stoneman attacked and then pulled up on the inside of Lloyd into Druids. The cars touched and Lloyd had a half-spin as Stoneman swept through to win. A frustrated Lloyd recovered to salvage second while Butcher completed the podium. Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) ran fourth for much of the race until Pro-Am1 winner Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) dived ahead to take a fine fourth.

With Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) out early with suspension damage, George Brewster (Celtic Speed) took second in Pro-Am1 as Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) recovered from a first lap spin to take third. Celtic Speed was announced as the Drift 'team of the weekend' and Butcher took the 'driver of the weekend' award in recognition of his fine performance in the opening race.

Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) first overall:
'That was a good race. Mid-race I wondered how the tyres would hold up because the track was drying out a bit. I was going steady and on the last lap I went for the cut back at Paddock and got up the inside at Druids."

Daniel Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) second overall:
'It was a good race but a shame about the early safety car as I had a good gap. Dean got back on me over the last two laps."

Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) third overall:
'The first corner bash was my fault: I clipped the rear of Dean's car. I'm happy to be on the podium and secure third in the overall championship."

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) 2013 champion:
'It was one of those races where it was greasy and a bit messy and hard to win it, so I went for the points. There have been plenty of lows and plenty of highs this season, and this has been the best one of all.

Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) Pro-Am1 winner:
'I got my head down and it turned out I was quick! I was catching Rory at the end of the race."

Round 20 result:
Pro category: 1 Dean Stoneman; 2 Daniel Lloyd; 3 Rory Butcher.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Dan De Zille; 2 George Brewster; 3 Justin Sherwood.

6c6b1b5980b81dd056293f175f28d1c094fb2462f40b19dcde90d831.jpg

Attachments

• brands14_291.jpg
    brands14_291.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 18,659
  • brands17_139.jpg
    brands17_139.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 18,659
  • brands18_166.jpg
    brands18_166.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 18,659

New Threads