Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front ducts

acamp76144 said:
A few questions

1. Are the bulbs HID or standard?

2. Are these all MOT friendly? If I'm looking at this right it deletes the front fogs

thks

no problems with the MOT. If the car has front fogs fitted they have to work. If they have been removed they don't :cop:

been through a couple of MOTs without mine no probs

jonttt said:
dommorton said:
jonttt said:
If your just looking to replace the crap looking OEM fog light units

They don't look crap at all if you bite the bullet and buy new ones.

Was not a case of biting the bullet. I had hoped new lights would look much better but having seen a couple of cars with all new units all round at shows this summer the one light unit which still did not look right was the front fog lights. Contrast this with new rear light sets which transform the cars :thumb:

Disagree.

The flawless glass and bright white reflectors of new units massively lifts the front end. Especially when in conjunction with new headlight lenses and new indicators.

New and original FTW

AgedFoglight.jpg

NiceFoglight.jpg

Isn't it more a case of whether you value originality ? There's a lot to be said for leaving things as Porsche intended.

The turbo S ducts were an official porsche option so far as I can remember from the options brochure.

The problem I have with the OEM fog lights is the massive void with just a little bulb showing which I have always thought looked wrong even when these cars were new. The little bulb is nothing more than a candle in operation as well. The Audi RS2 unit I saw splt the fog and sidelight parts much better behind the lens. I may have saved a pic of it n my computer but am stuck on the iPad for a week.

As stated above no problem in uk MOT as only a single rear fog light is compulsory.

RS2 uses the exact same lamp unit.

Agree with Dom M, it makes a huge difference when brand new units are fitted, espicially when they are in conjunction with new hadlamp lenses that have been fitted over freshly buffed reflectors.

Having said that I sometimes can't help thinking that the std factory fit fogs could have been designed to be a bit better looking.
I seem to recal that I paid close to £340 for a new pair last year so it's not a cheap item to refresh.

I am all for keeping things original but it is nice to have the option of an alternative look from time to time, Turbo S items that can be swapped out in around 5 mins when you fancy a change is quite a nice option to have.

Porsche ducts

I went for the Porsche ducts. Sold the original lights, which part funded the ducts :D
The ducts suit the 911 front end IMO

Attachments

• image_894.jpg
    image_894.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 5,786
dommorton said:

The one I saw advertised for the RS2 on german ebay was not OEM but looked much better as the sidelight did not take up 2/3 of the unit for a small bulb. It could my attention as it looked so much better but I was in the process of painting my turbo S ducts at the time so I did not buy them even though I was tempted.

Dom, if you change your mind let me know. I suspect paying you for materials and postage likely far cheaper than sourcing and using pro body shop. I'm collecting the ducts tomo. Will report back here.

I have to agree the OEM sidelight is not good. At least if they made the case back silver it would make a difference but leaving it white :?

Lots have tried LED bulbs to fill the void and I'd written these bulbs off until I bought a set of those Osrams LED for my '64. The output from a sidelight bulb is unbelievable (but at a price)

Highway - If you're spraying them up yourself be careful of the mist damaging your duffle coat :grin:

I think this is the next mod on my list..

I'm going to go the £100 jobbies...

I noticed on the D911 website (where these ebay ones originate from) they also have a pair for £90 without the LEDs. Design 911 UK

I'm just wondering if I should get the ones with the LEDs or if there are other better LEDs to get, and therefore get the ones without the LEDs

cambjones said:
I think this is the next mod on my list..

I'm going to go the £100 jobbies...

I noticed on the D911 website (where these ebay ones originate from) they also have a pair for £90 without the LEDs. Design 911 UK

I'm just wondering if I should get the ones with the LEDs or if there are other better LEDs to get, and therefore get the ones without the LEDs

Bargain :thumb: ask them if they sell the LED units :?:

They do.. the £100 ones come with the LED units

I just wondered if these were the best LED units to use or if there were others, better, out there... Seems with LEDs there is a bit of variety in quality.

jonttt said:
dommorton said:

The one I saw advertised for the RS2 on german ebay was not OEM but looked much better as the sidelight did not take up 2/3 of the unit for a small bulb. It could my attention as it looked so much better but I was in the process of painting my turbo S ducts at the time so I did not buy them even though I was tempted.

Interested to see that.

cambjones said:
They do.. the £100 ones come with the LED units See here

I just wondered if these were the best LED units to use or if there were others, better, out there... Seems with LEDs there is a bit of variety in quality.

They look a different LED unit to mine. Mine are great when turned on but the problem was you could see the yellow circuit board when mot on so I ended up fitting a black masking film to hide the yellow.

If those are as bright you would not need the film.

Might be worth you reading my exploits with them. Ps they are really easy to paint yourself.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=82158&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=207

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back