Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlight Switch not illuminating

aak

Hello Gents,

I replaced my headlight switch bulb but it seems very temperamental. Now it doesn't illuminate at all. The bulbs seem to get stuck. Could it be poor contact? Has anyone else had the same problem??

Thanks in advance!

:thumb:

There will be an led replacement somewhere, get one of those.
You may have another duff bulb.

Thanks S! I bulk bought the bulbs. I've tried a few but their contacts seem to be quite temperamental.

Will try the LED ones. :thumb:

LED replacements arrived today, but they still don't illuminate. The first one flickered for a while but I am convinced that the contact is poor.

Does anyone know if can just replace the barrel?

Having had it working since I purchased the car it is soooooo frustrating that it's not now!

My (964) switch isnt working either. Removed the bulb and it was a good 'un but I cant get it to illuminate :dont know:

Tried a new bulb to no avail :nooo:

I had this issue too, but solved it by lightly tweaking the wire contacts on the bulb and then firmly pushing it home in the socket.

I'm going to give it one more go today by playing around with the wire contacts. Next step is to order a new part :frustrated:

Had the same problem with flickering bulb. Think it was poor quality halfords brand. Bought pack of ten Lucas branded from my local motor factors (Bennets in St Albans) and first one cured the problem. Pack of ten was only £3.60 versus £2 for one bulb from Halfords. These were conventional filament not LED.

sorry - double post.

My replacement osram bulbs didnt fix my darkness... Stumped.

Sorry to resurrect this thread again, but it seems the best way to trya and resolve my issues.

I found that 3 of my dashboard knob where not illuminating, Fog lights, Heated door mirrors and Headlights.

Bought 3 x 286 12v 1,2w capless bulbs from Halfords. Couldn't get the bulb to light in the Fog knob, until I realised that the whole knob is a screw fit, so tightened it up and "Hey presto!".

But I can't seem to get the Headlight working at all, even when I realised that it doesn't come on with the lights it is linked to the ignition.

So is it possible that this bulb should be a 2721, rather than a 286?

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

motivator said:
So is it possible that this bulb should be a 2721, rather than a 286?

Yes I think so. Osram 2721 in mine.

I bought a box of 10 on Amazon for I forget how much, but it was cheap.

Box says:
1.2W . W2x4.6d

Thanks, i have ordered one from amazon, lets hope this makes the difference.

Lighting switch

I had this same problem with my newly acquired 993 ( post 12/7), I had great difficulty removing the bulb but eventually did. Replaced it with a new Osram and it still did not light. After much fiddling it still refused to light so I gave up.
However next time I switched on the ignition IT LIT, switched off, switched on, removed key, switched on again and it now works.

How bizarre!. I have ordered the 2721 bulb now. But I will try the existing 286 replacement again, just in case I have the same as you.
Thanks😀

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back