Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

Jon, any chance of a link for where you got the battery pack and connectors from for the hammer?

What a fantastic weekend driving around the welsh valleys but unfortunately two up with golf clubs meant it had to be in the daily hack :sad:

You have time for golf too :eek:

You're not human.

At least that is what I'm telling myself as I have far less time management skills managing family, work, travel & 993 obsession.

I think you should start running classes!

:)

The pressure is on today though, I'm leading on 69 points after 2 rounds with 4 people within 4 points, good fun though.

Perfect golfing weather but I need to figures out how to get 2 sets of clubs in a 993 lol.

Your right though I do deserve a rest so off to Dubai next week for a bit of pampering to get over the golf :bandit:

jonttt said:
What a fantastic weekend driving around the welsh valleys but unfortunately two up with golf clubs meant it had to be in the daily hack :sad:

You need to go back then, as I know from experience that a weekend away for two including two sets of clubs is perfectly possible. We've done it.

jonttt said:
Perfect golfing weather but I need to figures out how to get 2 sets of clubs in a 993 lol.

Had 2 sets in the back of my 964 Turbo plenty of time. Put the rear seats down, drivers out lying on top. Shoes etc in the bonnet. :thumb:

Carry bags only.. no tour bags and trundlers.

Unfortunately we both have full tour bags but I must admit we did not try to fit them in the rear but just assumed it would be too tight a squeeze. I'll definitely try the next time we do a uk based tour :thumb:

Ps I blew up on the Sunday, well in relative terms anyway, 5th on the day had 37 points :eek: and I was worse. When a 2 handicapper scores 40 points to take it over the weekend you've got to applaud him even though I had to give him a 3 hour ride home while he gloated :sad: maybe I would have been better off if Sunday had not been such perfect golfing weather :sad:

I've not had chance to change the defective diaphram on the car but have had some enquiries as to the part number so thought I had better post up some pics for reference....

jonttt said:
I've not had chance to change the defective diaphram on the car but have had some enquiries as to the part number so thought I had better post up some pics for reference....

As you know, one of these enquiries was from me. :) Thanks for sharing - I'd best get mine on order. :thumb:

Just asked the mrs and she said 34. I should have specified daytime temps :judge:

Plays havoc with the churchills

Too hot for me so I'll be in the air conditioned spa :thumb:

The good news is I wrapped the roady up for winter today (after a damn good blast in the last of the sunshine) but the 993 is staying taxed for some winter fun :thumb:

Nice write-up but what's this about a tripod? Can't you just put some different film in? :wink:

Well I finally got chance to fix the heater flap diaphram today.

To recap when my car was remapped it was identified that the varioram system was not activating. The failure was due to a faulty part of the heating system ie there is a vacuum system which operates both the varioram and a a rear heating flap. The rear heating flap is activated by a solenoid which when triggered opens to allow the vacuum to operate a flap via a diaphram. I had a faulty diaphram. This would not normally cause total failure of the varioram as the solenoid would isolate any leaks on the heater side until it was activated but to compound matters my solenoid was also faulty (effectively always open). This meant that the vacuum system effectively had a permanent leak and so the varioram part of the system could not get enough pressure to activate when needed. It is possible that the solenoid failed first and this caused the diaphram failure but I believe the diaphram is a common part to fail.

The heating flaps default position means that air is drawn into the heating system via the engine (ie warm) as and when needed. However there are two reasons why the solenoid may be activated to open the flap to bring in air from outside (via the engine grill) rather than from the engine:

- Used when engine air gets too hot and cooler air is needed.

- When reverse gear is selected. ie the grill intake is higher reducing the chance of exhaust gases being drawn into the heating system.

Neither of these functions are critical and this part of the system can be removed meaning that air is only ever drawn in from the engine (ie a different intake tube can be fitted without the flap etc....)

Therefore as a temporary fix the solenoid was replaced with a replacement part (FOC as they had one spare at the garage on the day of the remap) and the electical connection was disconnected to prevent the solenoid from opening and causing a pressure leak via the faulty diaphram ie meaning that the varioram system worked for the remap.

So down to replacing the faulty diaphram.

Here is the part. I can't remember the exact price as I bought it some time ago now but it was c£50.

The first thing that I noticed was a change in design to the old part ie the activating rod with ball joint is a fixed length. On the original it is two piece allowing the length to be varied. This did not cause any problems as the set length was fine when fitted.

Here is the original in place (spot my winter job to clean the engine now that I have fixed the spoiler wall)....

It is a simple yet fiddly job to remove and replace. There are two hex bolts that need to be unscrewed. However they are accessed via the side and certainly if you have varioram and air con pipes they get in the way. You need a small hex key (or cut an old/cheap one down). You need to feel the key into place blind to undue the bolts (nb putting them back seemed much easier). Tip: place a cloth under the part as its so easy to drop either the hex key or bolts down into the engine and they are a nightmare to get out (ask me how I know!).

Once these two bolts are removed its simply a matter of removing the top vacuum hose and cracking the ball joint at the bottom of the lever.

Here are the parts exposed and you can clearly see the lever that operates the flap in the heater inlet tube to divert airflow from engine to grill intake....

Fitting is the reverse and seemed a lot easier / less fiddly. Job done.

Here is a video of the fresh air flap now working properly. The test is carried out using my Bosch "Hammer" diagnostic tool. The ignition is on which primes the vacuum system and you can use the "Hammer" to switch the flap to the two positions on command. You can actually hear the flap flip over and then see the push rod moving....

ps you could do the same by getting someone to sit in the car and switch from 1st to reverse gears :wink:

click on pic for video link

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back