Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Garage door opener retrofit DIY.

If I read this correctly and your remote is the same as the OP's then you need to take what is my RED (4) cable and splice it into 2 and put both reds South of the switch and LED on the Remote, and each of the Blacks (1 and 2) go to the North of the LED and North of the Switch respectively.

yeah I thought that what I had connected,

its a silvelox door and remote but its looks like the same principle should be applicable

Do we know what pin3 does?

markiii said:
yeah I thought that what I had connected,

its a silvelox door and remote but its looks like the same principle should be applicable

So have you got it working properly now?
Pin 3 does nothing.

nope think I'm going to need t hand my electronics degree back at this rate

cannot believe I am struggling with something this stupid

either the switch LED works or the garage door opens, can't seem to get both working at the same time

markiii said:
nope think I'm going to need t hand my electronics degree back at this rate

I gave mine back a long time ago! :floor:

My switch is on order from Hatfield OPC whom reports 'there have been a backload of these orders in the last few days - what's going on?' :grin:

God knows how I am going get mine to work if Markiii can't!

~ Maxie :eek:

ok I prepare to be told I'm talking utter tosh, in fact that may even help, but..

the homelink switch when pressed connects the common (Pin 4) to both the switch (Pin2) and the LED (Pin1)

so effectively at this point all 3 are at the same polarity

so if I connect the switch pin to the high side of the PCB switch and the common to the low side of the switch it does what you would expect, remote operates

however for the LED on the switch to light (its a diode so can only be connected one way) it needs to see positive on the Switch (Pin1) and
-ve/Gnd on the common (Pin4) this is proven if I connect it in isolation

however it can't see -ve/GND on the common Pin at the point at which you press the switch because the common (Pin4) is now connected to the +ve (Pin2)

in a nutshell wtf?

hence my question about the unused Pin3 which if it was a GND for the LED would make perfect sense

I can rig it so the LED is on when you don't press the switch and off when you do (though obviously that's crap as it will kill the battery)

Which pins do what on the Porsche switch ?
With my remote the 12v +ve is fed to one side of the switch and to one side of the LED. I have therefore taken three leads from the remote, one the common +ve, two the other side of the switch and three the other side of the LED. I have yet ot get the Porsche switch and would like to know how it is wired. Thanks.

bertyw said:
Which pin on the Porsche switch is the LED +ve ?

Pin 1
Markii - do you not just need to reverse the polarity to get the diode to light up?

My GCSE taught me better than your degree - keep it simple.
Pin 1 and Pin 2 when the switch depressed allows the current to flow through to pin 4 hence closing the circuit. All you need is +12V running in that direction to both close the circuit to the OE switch and supply +12V through the diode.

You could try this.
Wire both 1 and 2 to +12v and the Common (4) to the OE switch (closed circuit side)

bertyw said:
Would running the LED's in parallel be the problem?

I considered this, but if I forget the switch functionality for a moment and just connect the switch LED in parallel with the PCB LED it lights them both fine

Gollom122 said:
You could try this.
Wire both 1 and 2 to +12v and the Common (4) to the OE switch (closed circuit side)

nope this then causes both the LEDs to be permanently lit

so having taken the switch apart for a more in depth look

heres what we have, that dead pin 3 is connected to the other LED that's sits in the switch itself,

oddly whilst its connected between pin 3 and common, applying 12v across the led does absolutely nothing

616aed9f-b9bc-4ec8-ac66-6233969303aa.jpg

Presumably pin 1 is on the right and pin 4 the left of the picture. What is connected to what ? If pin 1 is one side of the diode where is the other and which pins are for the switch ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back