Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My Red 964 C4 - The Next Chapter

nice. the car i hope to buy already has a 'sports exhaust' but i dont know what that means in detail. start her up and she burbles and rumbles but on the road its very well behaved. could it already have the G? where should i look?

ROS wheel arch. If you haven't got the secondary silencer and looking at the tail pipe if it goes straight into a U bend that's the G-pipe. Chances are it will have one.

i'll take a look or better still ask the PPI man later today.

Oil pressure

Hello all
In the spirit of everyone's rebuild threads, I'm going to continue the theme throughout my own experiences on this thread.

So my first question is oil pressure????

On cold start up the car is showing 4-5bar. When everything has warmed up nicely the pressure drops to around 1bar at idle. Is this normal pressure for an engine at idle?? :?:

Why I ask is that I do recall reading (in a buying guide) that good pressure should be around 2bar at idle – is this correct or am I being a paranoid newbie
I did do a quick search through the forums but didn't find a definitive answer.

Thanks

Michael

Re: Oil pressure

I don't think idle oil pressure on idle is as high as 2 bar. From memory I think it's about just over 1bar. I've even had the red light flicker on, on my blue one and at first panicked, but after a bit of research found its not uncommon.

The oil light coming on at idle is fairly common and there is no definitive answer for it. Even your owners manual mentions it:

"The oil pressure should be at least 3.5 bar at
an engine speed of 5,000 rpm. When the oil
is hot, the red oil pressure warning light may
light briefly at idle without endangering the engine

I will warm mine up tomorrow or the day after and let you know the readings. As you know, it's just been rebuilt, so we can take the readings a being what a perfect one should be.

Don't worry that's perfectly normal, mine shows excactly the same oil pressure as that, I was really paranoid when I got mine but once you relax you can enjoy, to be honest there pritty bomb proof!

Ian

Purely in the interests of science I have just taken mine for a blast.

When its cold, the pressure is about 2 bar. When the oil temp is in its usual place, half way between the cold and 8 o clock markers, it shows about 1.5. After a few miles of smiles I got the temp up to the marker in the 8 o clock position, and the pressure was about 1200 (the 1 bar maker was visible, but not black showing before the needle, with the occasional flicker down to 1 bar.

The hotter it gets the more the pressure drops.

Thanks Pete & Ian

I did a bit more searching last night and that's more or less the conclusion i came to.

think the excitement got the better of me on Saturday at Pete's as i just didn't notice what it was reading.
:oops:

Michael

Sunroof

A little issue with my sunroof today. After this mornings rain I got in the car for a quick spin. All fine until 300 yards down the road I hit the brakes and a nice stream of water emerged from the rear edge of the sunroof straight onto the passenger seat.
After a quick look i can only see side drain holes. Are there any drainage holes to the rear edge of the sunroof that could be blocked or would the sunroof need a new felt strip around the edge :?:

hopefully someone has experienced this before
Thanks
Michael

This never happened to me, after I did the drain tubes, did you have the sunroof open???

The sunroof has had a new felt, (before I had it). They are a pain to fit apparantly, which is why it protrudes slightly. I don't think that will be the issue. At some stage I need to do mine, but have been putting it off as a winter project (if not this winter, maybe next!) It will be when I have it all reprinted.

I have done the drain tubes. It sounds like the left hand one has come off the end of the gutter. I put it on by 'feel' as you need fiddly fingers. It sounds like I didn't push it on far enough.

Access it by the zip in the headlining by the rear window. It is a tube that goes from the gutter in the sunroof, down to the drain plugs that you can see when you open the engine cover.

Hi michael,

I believe there are drains that exit at the rear into the engine compartement drain channels on either side ofthe engine bay. Look for two rubber grommets in front of you when you open the engine bay lid. Ill see ifi can find a pic to share...

Jcx

sorted :D
the drain tube had indeed come off but the drain point was also blocked, so the water stayed in the roof channel and then made an apperance when i braked.

so my first fix

right hand side all ok
9695948742_3b98a60f1e.jpg

left hand side tube off and trying to hide behind the roof line joint
9695949244_28d0d71f52.jpg

as i didn't have a suitable hookey thing available, an allen key was employed to retrieve the drain tube, and it was re-attached
9692718525_8e8b4e1403.jpg

so thats my fist diy fix completed :thumbs:

How did you get in so well with lights and images!

I was just groping around in the dark,

Good stuff.

Keep it up.

:thumb:

PS

It's like the olden days (before you were born), when you could fix everything. That's one of the things I love about these cars.

Great work Michael. This forum and threads like this are an education. Fab stuff. Tx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back