Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Possibly purchasing a 1983 SC - Advice needed

scottishsr

Hi all,

I have been offered a PX on my 1969 Hayabusa Mini http://pistonheads.com/sales/4088374.htm
for a 1983 911 Coupe SC. The car is advertised at £12500 but I have seen the prices seem to vary quiet alot. The car has 108000 miles but it has had 19 previous owners. It's a completely standard car bar a K&N Panel filter and stainless exhaust. It has had work done to the engine with regard to cylinder studs, oil return tubes and chain tensioner upgrades and also all new turbo suspension, new kidney bowls, refurbished fuse box, heat exchangers, fuel tank out and repainted. It has a huge history and book of repairs/maintenance etc. It would also come with a years MOT.

It has a couple bits bodywise that will eventually need looked at but nothing serious, he does say a wing will need repairing within the next 5 years or so.

Is there anything in particular to look out for or I should ask? What is the running costs like? It would be going away for winter and out next year most likely.

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris, there's a buyers guide somewhere which covers every model year.
On an 83 Id be sure to make sure the gearbox operates with no crunching. The clutch and brakes are stopping in a stright line. The engine is quiet-ish, no misfires. The heat exchangers are good. Exhaust, and what it drives like. 108k the suspension bushes, shocks, wishbones etc. Rember, ebverything you'll buy for a 911 costs dough. They are double dear to keep going.
Good luck with the car, if youre London way Ill take a look with you if you want.
Paul

Buying a Porsche

:bandit: :bandit: hi scottishsr (Chris), Good Luck with getting a Porsche . The one your interested in with 19 previous owners at only 5,800 miles each owner , that's a lot of owners . I think you must pay extra to dealer , to get a year protection on major faults , then your can relax . Cuba (Steve) :bandit:

Attachments

• welcome_192.gif
    welcome_192.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 6,472
Re: Buying a Porsche

cubasteve said:
:bandit: :bandit: hi scottishsr (Chris), Good Luck with getting a Porsche . The one your interested in with 19 previous owners at only 5,800 miles each owner , that's a lot of owners . I think you must pay extra to dealer , to get a year protection on major faults , then your can relax . Cuba (Steve) :bandit:

Yeah that'll work on a 30 year old sportscar.
How much you thinking extra to make it do-able ?

Buying a Porsche

:bandit: :bandit: hi stuttgartmetal , ok what about 3 month major parts warranty from the dealer ? Need some protection . there's a joke in that , but too early to think of one . Cuba :bandit:

scottishsr said:
It has a couple bits bodywise that will eventually need looked at but nothing serious, he does say a wing will need repairing within the next 5 years or so.

Get a full body inspection by someone that does classic Porsche, NOT just a 'good bodyshop that does high end cars'. If the rot is showing anywhere then chances are it's everywhere, you absolutely NEED to know how far mate.

Have posted my story a few times on here so won't repeat myself, but that above sentence is pretty much exactly how I would have described my 3.2 on purchase.

It then needed £15k of bodywork...
:eek:

On 3.2/SC's now, I'd buy a sound body with NO engine over a car with a good engine that needed a bit of rust sorting. So get it poked at, in the bits you can't see, by someone that knows exatly where to poke.
:thumb:

Exactly as above, rust rust rust, I could get a 911 in my workshop remove the carpets and put it on a ramp for someone to inspect, and people that don't know 911's would miss all the rust, 911's rust from the inside out, you need to know where to look, small blisters pretty much anywhere are a very bad sign,

There are 5 blasted shells in my workshop now being worked on and 3 more waiting to be stripped and most of those looked fine from the outside.......

Please don't buy a car tHen get it checked out, get someone that knows them well to check them out first, it could literally save you thousands.

Welcome , u will enjoy the forum

:bandit: :bandit: hi dominicd , that's a intresting job you have , working with Porsche , dealing with the rusty shells , hope you post lots of photo's in the future . Cuba :bandit:

Attachments

• leu5dzt5_374.jpg
    leu5dzt5_374.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 6,228
Re: Welcome , u will enjoy the forum

cubasteve said:
:bandit: :bandit: hi dominicd , that's a intresting job you have , working with Porsche , dealing with the rusty shells , hope you post lots of photo's in the future . Cuba :bandit:

Thanks Cuba, just trying to make it perfectly clear how bad these things rust, plus so much rust has been repaired poorly previously,

We don't just deal with the rusty ones, but seem to get a lot of them in......

I bought a 1983 SC Targa for £8,500. It needs the sills sorting at some point and a wing. It has 140k on the clock and has had 13 owners. It drives like a dream but I know at some point it will cost me dearly, however, I'm happy to spend the money to keep it on the road as it's such a thrill to drive. The one you're looking at sounds good value considering the work its had done.

The OP started this thread in Sept 2012 :eek: I presume the purchase did not go ahead.............. :?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back