Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Project - When one thing leads to another!

This is really good stuff, keep it up.

Interesting to see the black fan, not to everybody's taste.

Hi lads, been using the car and watching for leaks since the previous work. Well the left side of the engine(cam comers) and the engine block are totally dry. Unfortunately the right hand cam covers top and bottom are both leaking my new oil! Also the very bottom nut on both chain covers are wet with oil?
Today I've removed the cup pipe and back box plus tin wear and heat shielding from the right side and rear of the engine. I've dropped the oil from the car also. I'm working tomorrow but hope to remove the cam covers and chain covers on Wednesday or Thursday. I've got some gasket sealer that I'm going to try and use some of this on the wet areas and re torque the covers back down.
I've also got some fresh oil evident on the nuts that hold the engine carrier to the engine under the pulleys, I think this is comming from the crank shaft oil seal but not 100% I'll know when I remove the engine carrier and the pulleys later in the week.
Pic of oil under the crank area?

null-103.jpg

Any one else had oil leaking from this area?
I've got a new crank shaft oil seal and lower chain tensioner cover gasket as this is a bit wet also. I shall hopefully have good news to report later in the week.

Ian

Managed to get some work done on the car today, removed the cam covers from the right hand side of the engine, cleaned the covers and gaskets then used some gasket seal along the bottoms of the covers. Also removed the chain covers and used the same sealer along the bottoms of each cover then tightend them back down to the correct torques.
Also managed to remove the right lower side chain tensioner cover and fit a new gasket.(I should have done that the first time round).
That just leaves the crank shaft oil seal, I've saved the best till last! I'll document this soon, going on my jollys on Monday so hoping to be finished befor then.

Ian

Well made some progress today, removed the belts and engine carrier from the rear of the car. I intended to remove the pulley wheel so I could gain access to the crank shaft oil seal. Surprisingly the oil seemed to be coming from the intermediate shaft cover located directly under the crank shaft.
Pic of intermediate shaft
null-115.jpg

And pic of cover with hard old perished seal
null-110.jpg

I've ordered a new seal from Newcastle OPC, ready for collection on Saturday
I knew there was a nut missing from the engine carrier that the heat exchanger pipe bolts to so I got my bro to weld a new nut on for me
null-119.jpg

I've primed and sprayed it black ready for refitting.
I wish I hadn't removed the belts now as they could have stayed on now that I'm not doing the crank shaft oil seal!
I can't do anything now tomorrow till I get the new seal on Saturday.
Thought I better cut some wood to help the jack out as it has a habit of going down over night :eek: don't want to get up in the morning and find my engine on the floor!
null-120.jpg

Ian

Inspiring :thumb:

You've got talent that's for sure. Thanks for cataloging.

Great to see these threads. I hope it's back together today, time for a blast before your holiday.

Hi

Nice work.

When you did the timing chain covers did you use new grommets or were the old ones still nice and soft? Also what sealer did you use? I am getting to be of the opinion that the sealants in places like that do more harm than good.

Berni

Yes I used new timing chain gaskets and all new grommets from Porsche, I used a little of the sealant on the bottom edge only as I couldn't get the lowest part of the covers to stay dry. I also used it on the bottom edge of the upper right hand cam cover and around the whole lower cam cover.
null-121.jpg

I had taken pics of the new rubber seal picked up from OPC this morning along side the old one but my phone must be full cos there nowhere to be found :dont know: it was interesting to see how much different the new seals compared to the old, if they go so brittle and thin it's no wonder they leak oil!!!
Anyway I've gotten the shaft seal done and the oil back in and everything put back together, I've only got the belts to tension in the morning and its finished! Next job is to clean under the arches :)

Well didn't manage to get the belts on befor I went on holiday as I'd left the boot lid open and the battery went flat :oops: anyway back now and it's charging so belts should be on tomorrow and I'll be back on the road!
Managed to find the missing pic of the intermediate shaft cover seal, you can see how the orange (old) seal is shrunk and out of shape compared to the new green seal, no wonder they leak!
null-122.jpg

Ian

When I had the car stripped down I wasn't happy with the gap in the engine mounts so I picked a good second hand pair up on ebay.
null_zps9255673c.jpg

I didn't know at the time but when they came it turned out they where from Douglas valley, and for £30 with free delivery I thought that was a bargain!
I nearly had a baby when I say how much they are new :eek:
Anyway got the first 3 bolts out and Sod's law kicked in and you've guessed it the 4 bolt snapped! :sad:
Pic shows the poor condition of the bolts, apart from one that looks almost new?
null_zps9a7f77a0.jpg

Anyway thought I had better try and drill the snapped bolt out. Masked up the car to avoid damage to the panel if I slipped!
null_zps8a6314a6.jpg

This turned out to be a bit of a pain, I had to get some long drill bits to reach the bolt, but with a bit of drilling and hammering I got the blighter out.
Next I turned a tap through the hole to cut some new threads into the captive nut.
null_zps30cd1296.jpg

Down to my local nut and bolt supplier and got the exact same bolts for £2!
null_zps57e52078.jpg

Anyway the original mounts turned out to be in better nick than I thought, the left one looks fine but the gap in the right one is definitely a bigger that the other.
null_zpsecf28b04.jpg

All fitted tonight, just a couple of electrical gremlins to track down!

Ian

Screen wash is my limit and maybe top up the oil. I wouldn't know where to start with any of this stuff. Amazing work and nice to see it so well documented.

Kevin.

Hi Ian,

Just caught up with your thread, nice work :thumb:

Keep it going,
Paul

I'd check those Douglas Valley mounts when under load as they could end up having more stretch than a eunuch's jock-strap :dont know:

Other option (like me) was to fit 993C4 mounts - half price of the C2 ones :thumb:

Ok Santa has been late to my house and left me these :D

Well excited when these arrived, but when I opened the box I immediately noticed a problem?

The eagle eyed of you out there will have noticed there's no nut or spring plate to hold the spring on two of the dampers?

This confused me a lot and I could only conclude that I must have to remove the missing parts from my original suspention :nooo:
I rang larkspeed who agreed this seemed odd, they rang koni who confirmed that I had to remove the nut that you turn to adjust the corner balancing and the plate that sits on top of it so the spring has a platform to sit on. Well not happy about this, I didn't expect to have to put 21 year old parts onto my lovely new suspention, that's if I can even wind the old nuts off! Surely koni could have fabricated the missing parts! I think this is a poor show from them :nooo:
Anyway I've got the day off tomorrow so going to try and fit them, I'll let you lot know how it goes and take plenty of pics :thumb:

Ian

Excellent stuff Ian :popcorn:

Good luck,
Paul

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back