Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

Had a great weekend at the Silverstone Classic weekend. I could not stay for the Sunday and was there with the BMWCC.

I did get chance to wander around the Porsches for a couple of hours but they were faaaaaaaar way from all the action :dont know: or maybe I was spoiled with free BMW hospitality and parking in the prime spot on the site :grin:

Highlight for me was what I think was a genuine 993 GT comfort spec which had me drooling over it for a good 20 minutes...........

I hope anyone attending timed a visit to the international paddocks to see the old F1 / GT cars being prepped for race and setting off for the put lanes. If not you missed the highlight of the weekend. To be able to talk to drivers and mechanics whilst they are working on the cars .........

a gorgeous maserati.......

and so many others to get up close and personal with.....

jonttt said:
Update on Warranty work:

I've had an ongoing issue with the air con not working on the car. This has been fully covered by Strasse's "in house" warranty ie they cover all costs themselves.

Initially the evaporator was replaced and was found to be damaged (not corroded) but the system still would not hold refrigerant for more than a few days.

Further investigation has now resulted in a new condensor also being fitted.

It has been regassed today and the plan is I'll pick it up on Monday if it hold the refrigerant over the weekend.

Strasse have been really good over this and not tried to wriggle out of anything in any way ie their warranty has done what it said on the tin and you can't ask for more than that :thumb:

I picked the car up today.

The car has retained refrigerant for 4 days so hopefully the air con system is fully sorted with new evaporator and condensers fitted. I will monitor readings over the next week to make sure.

Looking forward to a run to the porsche show at Lotherton Hall next Sunday. Hopefully it will be hot enough to need the aircon on 8)

Now that I have the car back from the warranty work I had chance to fit the drivers side Stainless Steel Sill cover and finish that project off.

Not the best of pics taken indoors.......

I've never really got to grips with the side repeaters.

I'm not an amber person especially on a car which is otherwise amber free so the first thing I did was change the OEM ambers to clears.

However after trying a few different ones they were either rubbish quality or did not fit perfectly plus I just never got the rectangular shape.

I think its commonly accepted that Porsche raided the VW parts bin to fit these indicators and the shape just never seemed to fit with the curves of the 993 no matter what colour the lens was.

So I decided to try aftermarket clear lens Oval items. To take it a step further I sourced the new multiple LED type which spread the light more evenly than the OEM single point bulb.

These are really cheap (c£10) , good quality and easy to fit.

The fit is by sticking on with the supplied 3M adhesive backing so they can be removed easily but not in a "on/off" fashion of the OEM units. However as LED bulbs last a lot longer this should not be a problem.

Not for the purists but an easy 5 minute reversion to OEM at any time and they are better quality and I think suit the 993's shape much better than the OEM units. I'm really pleased with how they look.

The spade type connector just pushes into the bulb holder instead of the normal bulb.....

and fitted in 5 minutes......

and they look much better when lit than the single point OEM/LED bulbs....

Had a bit of a scare last night..........I was attending a black tie dinner and decided to take the 993 for a nice run ala James Bond style :D

Just as I was hitting the motorway under heavy acceleration the radio cut off (Shirley bassey at her best ) and the instrument warnings lights started going crazy.

All sorts of thoughts going through my head, did I wire that stereo up properly, did I dislodge something putting it back, were the LED sight indicators melting but I thought the hard shoulder was no place to stop, what would James do :?: so I panicked and slowed down in the inside lane ready for an emergency stop if needed.

5 miles of Shirley and full disco lights flashing I pulled into the infamous chorley services :eek:

By this time it was heavy rain :roll:

I quickly jumped into the passenger seat and removed the stereo, everything seemed fine. Put it all back and I thought I would start the car back up to see if I had miraculously cured the problem,.........nothing, car absolutely dead.

By this time middle of thunderstorm :pc:

So I sat there repeating the word ***** several times...... AA, phone call home, taxi for 1,........ What would James do.......... Car dead = check battery first.....thunderstorm, best dinner jacket shirt on :pc:

Gave it 5 min, no sign of rain stopping :pc:

So I ended up popping the bonnet and jumping out...... Then noticed the camper van parked in front of me and 2 kids staring out at me...... I was sooooo tempted to say "the names Bond........." But didn't :oops:

Anyway imagine my relief when I realised the battery breaker I had fitted a month ago had simply worked loose. A few turns to re tighten, drop the bonnet and the engine fired up first time and no more symptoms :thumb:

So I learned two things from the experience....

- what it's like to drive a car with no earth
- don't be a smart Alec and get changed in the hotel room when you get there :dont know: :oops:

ha ha nice story... very James bond when you fixed it in front of the kids... in black tie..... 8)

Car booked in for a remap on the 19th with Wayne from chip wizards at ninemeister :thumb:

Hi

The wayne remap is on my list of things to do. I have a very cheap ebay chip in my car and it made a really noticeable difference to the low speed tractability of my car. So much so that even though the rev limit is too low and clashes with the change up on the Tip box I just cannot bring myself to remove it.

I think you will be surprised at how much difference it makes.

Berni

Will be interesting to see, he comes highly recommended.

I'm used to remapping BMW ///M series engines which are so highly tuned from the factory (c350HP from a 3.2 litre NA engine) that they are not about HP Gaines but more about drivability (and usually increased MPG :eek: )

What's the approx cost of the remap and are they able to provide before and after measurements of your car ?

£400 for a 4 wheel drive which is apparently a bit more than a 2 as there is more involved disengaging the 4 wheel drive system.

It's being done at ninemeister to use their dyno. I don't know the specifics as arranged via text messages but you would usually get before and after dyno readings.

Will be interesting to see the porsche process. With BMWs several after runs are needed whilst the remap adapts and you need to drive the car for a bit whilst it relearns your driving style.

Yesturday I had a good run over to the PCGB meet at Lotherton Hall in Leeds sponsored by Strasse and Malton.

I was one of the first to arrive (made good time on the motorway :wink:), it got a lot lot busier than this over the next hour....

This car took my eye, gorgeous. POA but I overheard the salesman mention £80k :thumb:

There was an "evolution" display of 911's through 50 years.....

but this one took my eye.....

I managed to have a good chat with the owner. I don't think he is on here but he's had it since it was 6 months old. It was a run out fully specced Tequipment car (full carbon interior, power upgrade, second oil cooler, colour coded wheels, etc.....). The only option it seemed not to have was the Turbo S scoops but I think its better for that. Sitting on 30k miles with original paint and no rust in sight...... you can't get a much better providence than that for a 993 Turbo.... stunning.

As always for a newbie it was great seeing so many 911's in one place. Some great cars but also a surprising number of low miles (<40k) cars showing rust :hand: I guess people still think if they are low miles they can't rust and live by the old adage "its a summer car and never sees rain". I guess they wash them and put them back in the garage straight away :hand:

I left early after a couple of hours with rain starting but that gave me extra time to get back via the Pennine B roads rather than motorway. I love driving B roads in wet weather as the roads are sooo much quieter and the 4 wheel drive / new suspension setup felt so secure through the bumps and twists.

All in all a perfect hobby day, bit of show :camera: bit of go :drive:

ps I actually used my rear wiper :eek: Even in heavy rain 3 swipes is far too many :redcard:

I forgot to mention that I fitted the new centre caps before going to Lotherton.

As per my previous post on eBay purchase, set of 4 brand new original 993 parts correct fitting / colour for WB hollow spoke turbo twists......

My original centre caps. x2 are fine but x2 need a slight refurb this being the worst.....

New set ready to go on...

Colour match is pretty spot on..........

I put the "pointy" end facing the valves, I assume that is the correct OCD fitment :dont know:

Hey Jon your car looked great yesterday, had a quick nose around it whilst you were getting your ear bent by someone else, came back later but you were no where to be seen and then noticed you'd gone around 3ish when I left.

A good selection of 993's present, I ended up parked next to a Ruf fettled Arena Turbo with Fuchs wheels, looked nice but not as good as hollows in my eyes. Think there's a pic of it over on Pistonheads under the Lotherton Hall thread if anyone's interested.

There was also an arctic turbo along from your car with silly low miles, the interior looked brand new, the dash and doorcard leather looked fantastic. Seeing cars like this makes you appreciate how bang on they must have been fresh out of the box.

I bagged the usual SCOM we need your car letter, 993's are certainly good news at the moment, even overheard some 964'ers telling an enquiring gent that the 993 was the one everyone wants - high praise indeed :thumb:

Yep I had a good chat with the sales director from SCOM before he put the letters on all the 993s, they simply can't get enough nice ones to meet demand.

Pity we did not get chance to have a chat but not many 993ers stayed near their cars.

I saw the low miles turbo (c8k from memory) but cars like that don't really appeal to me. The 30k miler fully loaded one I photographed above was more my cup of tea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back