Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

Hi

Yes I agree it is best to tell the Insurance company. I seem to remember a thread on here when Dom did a group buy of the RUF or a Perfect Power copy a while back from memory. There is also the Fabspeed EVO Front Strut Bar which i like the look of. Both freely available in the US of course but not in the UK from the looks of it.

Berni

Re: Stainless Steel Kick Plates

jonttt said:
I was interested in sourcing a set of stainless steel kickplates which where an OEM option.

It appears that these are now only available with certain lettering (eg RS) and where pretty expensive.

It therefore appealed to me when a UK supplier was identified on Rennlist who was offering OEM alternatives including a new version with "Carrera 4S" lettering.

As I'm UK based I "volunteered" to be the guinea pig and try them out. The supplier is Type911.

They offer a few options but I wanted to try the new chrome inlay style with Carrera 4S lettering.......

"Stainless Steel Sill Trims
Laser cut polished stainless steel inserts in brushed stainless sills, great quality, self adhesive, fits 911, 964 & 993, choose from "911", "993", "Carrera", "Carrera S", "Carrera 4S", "turbo", "2S" or "4S" script. Price is for a pair"

The price including tax and shipping in the UK was c£128 (I think roughly 50% of the OEM price).

It took about 3 weeks for delivery but I think these are made to order at the moment as a new product.

They where delivered very well packaged to protect them.

First impressions are very good but on closer inspection there are a couple of issues. So the good and the bad.....

Good bits ....

- the stainless steel is very good quality with a good weight to them and they give the feeling of being very robust ie they will not easily bend / mishape.

- the appearance from a normal viewing distance is very good...

- they have full laser cut lettering with chrome inlay which is held in place by the provided taped fixing backing strip. These would easily lend themselves to various inlay options if required.

but the bad bits....

- on close inspection there is some room for improvement in the chrome inlay finish which is randomly raised in some areas and an inconsistent fit in terms of tolerance to the laser cut steel. This appears to be down to the actual type of inlay used reacting to the cutting process.

EDIT: just to clarify on the above pic that I expect the inset to sit flatter when fitted as it is only held in place by the sticky backing tape currently. The issue I am trying to highlight is the reaction of the insert chrome edge to the cutting process which is not perfect.

So I was left with a dilemma, do I reject them (I don't need to argue quality as these would simply fall under European distance selling rules giving me 7 days to return them for a refund) or keep them. I have decided to keep them on the following reasoning:

- the quality of the steel and laser cutting is very good and in line with what I would perceive to be OEM quality (I cannot comment in fit yet)

- I like the "3D" effect of the chrome inlay compared to normal (ie cheaper) etching.

- the appearance from normal viewing height is fine and its only my OCDness that has an issue with the fine detail finish.

- if the inlay finish / fit deteriorates with use them the quality of the basic laser cut steel will lend itself to some nice alternative finishes ie the inlay is simply held in place via the taped backing so can be easily changed with the steel acting as a natural template.

- price I perceive as reasonable for the laser cutting and quality of steel used. nb If they had been twice the price they would have been going back.

At the end of the day I like them

Fitting should be a relatively easy process requiring the simple removal of the existing kick plates which are glued in place (time will be mostly removing old glue) and sticking these down with the backing tape already in place.

These will also meet my requirement to be fully reversible to OEM if required.

I will point the supplier to this post as I believe in customer feedback.

ps here are some OEM pictures for comparison...and why I prefer the laser cut finish......

In between children's birthday parties and summer fetes I managed to find a couple of hours to have a go at fitting the stainless steel sill plates.

This is one of those jobs were you could do it in 20 minutes (both sides) or to meet OCD standards spend 2 hours on 1 side :eek: . Yep I spend 2 hours fitting the passenger side :roll:

First job was to pull away the door rubber. You only need to do this for the bottom section. It can retain itself but also has some sticky stuff behind but it pulls away (and goes back later) easily enough.

nb I have seen some cars with the bottom of these rubbers very worn with use (ie constant rubbing from entering / exiting the car) so if yours are in bad shape be careful as I think they would be pretty easy to rip if worn.

Note the brown gooey stuff near the rubber is the glue used with it.

The black plastic sill trim is held in place with 2 strips of sticky tape. This is very well stuck in and its a much easier job to lift the trim and not damage the paintwork with a proper trim removal tool. You can buy kits of various trim tools on eBay and its worth paying a bit extra for a good set. The tools tend to be stronger and the plastic they are made of just right to be useful yet not cause damage. With a proper trim tool you can apply enough leverage to force the trim free from the tape without fear of damaging the paint. The plastic trim is also flexible enough to bend away.

The hard bit is starting it off ie getting the trim tool underneath and then its simply a matter of working it along levering as you go.

Once the trim is removed you are left with remnants of the securing tape and 16 years of dirt.

There is a sill access plate which is now revealed. This was the only area which showed any signs of rust so I removed it for rectification.

I could feel with my finger through the hole and it was obvious that this was only surface rust so I sanded down and applied a rust treatment.

If there is one job I hate it is removing stubborn sticky residue. Now I could have just pulled off the easy bits and stuck the new trim in place but that may not have given an even fit and I like shiny :)

yuk.....

So 1.5 hours of careful solvent use and rubbing to dissolve the glue (interrupted by the odd beer and a sandwich).....

ps the access plate has had a coat of primer and paint once the rust treatment had cured. There is a small amount of glue residue left as I ran out of solvent :oops:

I treated the access hole cover plate and refitted this but I used a small bead of blue tack to secure in place. Partly to keep metal off metal and not really to stick it down as the new sill trim tape will do that.

So finally the easy bit which was fitting the new trim. This is simply a matter of removing the backing tape to stick in place. There is no real lining up to do as its that good a fit it just fits straight where it should.

I'm really pleased I did not send it back. I think it goes really well with arctic silver and blends in better than the original black plastic trim. The stainless steel is very high quality and looks it when fitted. To people who do not know better it looks like a piece of factory trim which is what I wanted. Obviously its easily reversible to OEM if needed.

and for easy comparison the drivers side OEM trim...

The drivers side will have to wait for another day, the sun is shining and 2 hours on this is enough for one day ;-)

Hi

Thank you very much for taking the time to document this job. I never knew that there is an access plate under the sill trim. I will be straight in there with my new inspection borescope and rustproofing fluid next week. Excellent!

I will do a post on what I find.

Berni

Carbon Fibre Handbrake and RS storage Trays

Carbon Fibre Handbrake and RS Storage Trays fitment

Well I can't fault EurocupGT (aka Porscheshop) for their customer service. One phone call to inform them the order was incorrect ie part missing and a defective finish and they have send me both the missing part and a replacement for the other by return post no quibbles :thumb:

These really are genuine high quality carbon fibre parts which fit perfectly......

Finished install pics not the best as underground car park using flash so I will take some more when in daylight another day....

mmmmmm I'm so tempted now to order a new OEM carbon fibre handbrake.......... can I wait to see if one ever comes up on ebay :dont know:

I have added an index to the first post in this journal linking to various topics throughout the journal for ease of reference (ie click on lin ks in first post of this thread).

Guess I've been busy these last few months given this list does not include jobs I've had others do for me such as new dampers and springs, full geometry setup, Billet lower cam covers, new front brake shields, all exhaust heat shields replaced, stainless steel brake hoses, ...... I'm sure there is more :dont know:

Here is the list added to the first post as it stands today :eek:

Initial Interior Clean & Wiper Widget Install

Side & front indicator lens change; DME relay preventative change

Tor-B Diagnostic Cable

Becker Cascade Headunit Install

Leather Gear Gaitor Replacement

PA1000 Alarm Board Replacement

Door End Cap & Pedal Cover replacements

Tor-Light HID Install

365mm Raid Steering Wheel Install (smaller and thicker than OEM)

RSR Muffler and Big Oval Exhaust Tips Install

Motorsound Airbox Install

Spoiler protection caps, drainage plug and key lock plug installs

Aluminiun Bezel Rings Install

Light Switch Bulb Replacement

Turbo S Front Duct and LED Light Install

Battery Isolator fitment

LEd Rear Number Plate Bulb Replacement

OEM Overmat and retinaer Install

MPL Slave Clutch Cylinder

Tequipment Carbon / Alloy Gear Stick Replacement

RS Storage Tray, Front Protection Bar and Drinks Holder

Front Bonnet Badge - Part 1
Front Bonnet Badge Install - Part 2

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System Install (TPMS) - Work in Progress

Hand Brake Lever Replacement

Engine Air Filter and Pollen Filter Replacement

Front Strut Brace Install

Stainless Steel Sill Trim Install

Carbon Fibre Handbrake & RS Storage Trays Install

Interior Shots:

The interior of the car is more or less as I want it now.

before:

after:

Another eBay bargain........ picked up a brand new fitted indoor car cover for c50% of the normal price :D

All tucked up.......

Update on Warranty work:

I've had an ongoing issue with the air con not working on the car. This has been fully covered by Strasse's "in house" warranty ie they cover all costs themselves.

Initially the evaporator was replaced and was found to be damaged (not corroded) but the system still would not hold refrigerant for more than a few days.

Further investigation has now resulted in a new condensor also being fitted.

It has been regassed today and the plan is I'll pick it up on Monday if it hold the refrigerant over the weekend.

Strasse have been really good over this and not tried to wriggle out of anything in any way ie their warranty has done what it said on the tin and you can't ask for more than that :thumb:

So I'm a happy camper and off to Silverstone this weekend (Fri & Sat) as part of the BMW club but will probably spend longer oggling 993's :eek:

nb I will be checking for working headlight switch bulbs :grin:

ps just had an unexpected windfall so with money burning a hole in my pocket I am desperately trying to avoid paying c£500 for a carbon handbrake lever :what: :pc:

Whilst viewing eBay in a desperate attempt to find a second hand carbon fibre 993 Handbrake lever :pc:

I stumbled on another eBay bargain which had just been listed........

I've had in the back of my mind a plan to review the wheel centre option on the car and did some background research a couple of weeks ago so I could spot a bargain when I saw one, partly as these seem to be a bit of minefield in terms of correct fit etc....making an aparant bargain become an expensive mistake :hand:

My car has the original "4S" wheel centres and whilst in good condition the odd bit of "S" has lost some of its black colour. Now I could easily just touch this in but whilst I appreciate their originality I prefer the crested ones. At the same time the coloured crests did not really appeal to me on a Silver car. I also have genuine hollow Turbo Twists fitted.

So I thought I would have to get very very lucky to get the correct set, in good enough condition for the right price for my car so really relegated the thought to next rear and realistically buy a new set from Porsche.

So what did I find listed today but only the perfect set for me :D and brand new :D :D and with a £80 buy-it now / make offer option :eek:

Bearing in mind these are c£35 Each = £140 per set to buy I was sooooo tempted just to click on the buy it now at £80........but as they had just been listed I thought I would take a chance and offer £60 (incl postage, I know tight as a ducks ar$e) with the idea that if they did not respond within one hour I would just pay the buy-it now price......

5 minutes later OFFER ACCEPTED :floor:

So I have a brand new set of £140 genuine Porsche centre caps for £60 delivered !

and the correct part number for Turbo Hollow Spoke's

I'll be keeping the originals in the cars expanding OEM accessory box :thumb:

now about that carbon handbrake lever...........

I managed to get these genuine 993 part number 4S centres of the bay a while back. There is a subtle difference between the 996 ones and these so if you ever go back to original look then make sure you get the 993 ones.

:thumb:

I'll check the part numbers on mine when I take them off.

You might want to check the prices from your OPC. They have quoted me £38.05 for a full set of 993 4S centres (that's with a 20% discount applied).

mmmm are you sure that is for a full set as it sounds like the price each :dont know:

jonttt said:
mmmm are you sure that is for a full set as it sounds like the price each :dont know:

I was going to say the very same thing jonttt - I know they recently doubled the price of the scripted crests as well as I wanted a 'Turbo' script set for my car (for a change from the present coloured crests) but the price put me off a little - at £38.05 a full set seem cheap...even with the 20% discount but if it is the case happy days - I would jump at that!

:)

First day of the silverstone classic weekend and they have parked me next to the beer tent lol

12.30 and had to be done. I may need a taxi to the hotel later!

20130726_123210.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back