Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

I think it its car dependent whether they make a difference for road use ie the quality specification of OEM hoses v stainless steel items.

Personally with my limited experience of the 993 I don't think there is any real performance benefit compared to OEM for road use but if they are similar price then no reason not to fit stainless items when the need arises as in my case with a couple of the OEM's rears split.

I would hope that if the OEM rubber items do suffer from water freezing / splitting them then the stainless steel ones would not suffer the same over time so are a better long term solution for that alone ?

The other hose to consider is the clutch hose. When I had the MPL slave cylinder fitted they had to fit a new OEM hose (c£50+VAt from memory). If I had thought / planned better I would have researched if there is a recognised stainless steel option. In my experience of other cars there is much more advantage in upgrading to stainless clutch hoses than brake hoses in everyday use :dont know:

jonttt said:
The other hose to consider is the clutch hose. When I had the MPL slave cylinder fitted they had to fit a new OEM hose (c£50+VAt from memory). If I had thought / planned better I would have researched if there is a recognised stainless steel option. In my experience of other cars there is much more advantage in upgrading to stainless clutch hoses than brake hoses in everyday use :dont know:

Jon, I would think that people like HEL and Goodridge would make just about any hose to order, the only differentiator on these is the end fittings and length, none of which should be a problem.

Anyone fancy a group buy clutch hose? We just need a pattern (old part Jon??)

I don't have the old one :oops:

There is a company that is well regarded on the BMW scene called Earls who manufacture stainless steel clutch hoses. They are a popular mod on older high performance BMW's (eg my Z3m) as they delete clutch delay valves whilst at the same time improving haudraulic performance.

Having said that i'm not sure how much difference they would make to a 993 compared to OEM. I was just pointing out that they are more likely to make an improvement than brake hoses :dont know:

I'm more than happy with my clutch now that its fitted with the MPL slave cylinder and new OEM hose. It would have been nice to see if the new hose by itself made a difference but I did not have that opportunity. In fact the more I drive my car since the MPL was fitted the more I love the change :D

New Badges

I've been deliberating over this one for a couple of weeks........ do I or don't I replace the front bonnet badge.

Whilst I understand the argument for not unless damage ie retain the original aged effect ultimately I decided that the gasket was looking untidy and that if I was going to replace that which I knew OCD would require then I might as well replace the badge as well.

I set myself just one criteria, I had to have an original OEM 993 badge and not a 996 badge :eek: :hand:

So I duly sourced and ordered a "new old stock" 993 bonnet badge, gasket and retaining nuts.

and with suitable trim tools for removal

I ordered the retaining nuts as they are cheap and I'm not sure how reuseable the original ones will be.

One thing is obvious though.... the gasket is a tight / impossible fit. So I will either be glueing it to the back of the badge prior to fitment as it will need some retention assistance I think or I am considering not using it and simply trimming the old gasket when it is removed to give a cleaner fitment ie remove the black raised border of the gasket.

Whilst I was ordering this I decided to also change the "soft" 3d effect badge on my steering wheel with a proper metal item. I've heard all the arguments before about not fixing metal badges to airbags but the airbag would deploy on a hinge (?) and so it should not be an issue in terms of flying off and hitting me in the face in the event of activation. Thats my logic anyway unless anyone can prove otherwise.

If you do see someone with a slightly crumpled 993 and Porsche crest impression on their forehead though, that may be me :D

I went for a 356 badge as being the right size....

but I needed to Dremel the rear pin off....

and affix some suitable sticky tape.....

all ready for fitment....

and finally I am not usually one for sticking extra badges everywhere but seeing as my first Porsche ownership experience just happens to be in the 911's 50th anniversary year it would be a shame not to fix a suitable commemorative badge for this year only (in a Porsche OEM commemorative way of course)......

I'll see how it looks on the car and decide whether to keep it on or not.

Now that I have some jobs to do fixing this lot on I just have to remember where I left the car :dont know: :?:

Badge

Hi Jon,

I had the same issue with the new badge rubber, putting it is very hot water helped but I still needed a friend to sold it down whilst I bolted it on. I like the rear badge, where did you get it?

I've been told the problem with the bonnet badge backing gaskets is they are not genuine porsche items and the genuine ones fit a lot better.

I'm probably going to get one from porsche and compare.

The anniversary badges are from the link below. They are great quality, very reasonably priced and very quick delivery.

They also do a different version sticker

http://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/oursh...-50-Laser-Cut-Self-Adhesive-Car-Badge-65.html

Good work on the correct 993 badge.

I replaced the one on mine too as someone fitted a 997 part when the car was repainted :nooo:

Look at the difference here. The 997 one is pretty poor in comparison.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=82955

Yep I have an original NOS 993 badge. The weight and quality of enamel is impressive.

I'm, going to delay fitting it though until I source a genuine gasket for it.

I fitted the celebration and steering wheel badges today.......

I was unsure of the best location for the celebration badge. Immediately above / below the Carrera 4S badge looked too fussy so ended up fitting it higher up.

First impressions are I have mixed feelings but I think its growing on me. Bear in mind this is a bit of fun for this year to celebrate the 911's 50th Anniversary and so I think I'm edging to leaving it on. Just not sure its the best location for it ?

What do you think / suggestions ?

I also fitted the steering wheel badge. Sorry the pics are a bit dark in my underground garage :oops:

Soft 3d effect one fitted on installation of the wheel.....

New metal one......

Incorrect non black Porsche script on the wheel badge though :grin:

Think I preferred the smaller one? :dont know:

911 50 badge is a bit odd there. I'd have it with the other badges if it is to stay.

Those gaskets are a swine. Even genuine are a pig to fit and have to be stretched in to place.

dommorton said:
Incorrect non black Porsche script on the wheel badge though :grin:

:hand:

Its an early pre '65 badge ie small one :D

Exactly. So incorrect for a 97 car :roll:

Ah but the later bonnet badges are too big for a steering wheel so I purposely went for the early badge which is a lot smaller :wink:

I think I'd stick it on the bottom of the rear screen, where it can do no harm.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe-nee-g
Back