Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Project - When one thing leads to another!

Well done bud :thumbs:

Hi lads, I'll post up a further progress report tomorrow, there's a pint or several of theakstons at the bar waiting for me tonight!
Only £2 a pint it's awesome :cheers:

Ian

That'll be no beer left in Wylam then ;)

Hi lads, major push with the car over the weekend, been living in the garage over the last week so needed to get it finished!
I pulled the alternator, fan housing and fan out on Saturday as I found some gloss black enamel paint in the garage and wanted to paint the fan. I also wanted to polish the pulley wheels, and give the fan housing a coat of metallic grey paint.

Pic showing the fan housing and the fan stripped ready for primer.

In between painting the fan I started trying to fix the oil leak at the pipe that connects to the oil filter housing in the driver side rear wheel arch. This was a total NIGHTMARE! No matter what I used to try and loosen the big nut it wouldn't loosen! Even an adjustable spanner with a metal bar on it wouldn't move the blighter! In the end I had to remove the oil filter housing from the car and loosen the nut on the garage floor, I was able to do this as the pipe is connected to a flexy hose half way down and I was able to bend it away from the car to gain better access and purchase with the spanners.

Pic of some previous idiots attempt to remove the rubber pipe by cutting it of witha hacksaw.

I eventually got this all back together and turned my attention to the leaking oil pressure sender located to the rear of the engine behind the fan.
I was able to reach around the inlet manifold and remove this easily.

Pic of the old rubber seal, this was rock hard and brittle like plastic, the new one was soft rubber.
Pic of old one

Next I refitted the exhaust, added the Castrol magnitech oil and retentioned the belts.
Engine bay looks like new!

Ian

Really nice work, love a good job done like that, bet your well chuffed now.Well worth the choice words etc in the end. :thumb:

Great effort. Very rewarding when things turn out looking that good :thumb:

So many chaps on here doing quite extensive work, it warms the heart it really does :worship:

Hi

Well done getting those studs out. Two of mine snapped off flush with the head and it was not fun removing those.

Berni

Nice job and good write up Ian, all on the list for next winter if I`m not still putting the bodywork back together !

Great fan / housing colour combo, looks flippin mean :bandit:

Chris

Great work Ian :thumbs: looking forward to seeing it in the flesh

Cheers lads, I'm really chuffed with the way everything went, I'll defo be on the next run out :thumb:
Hope everyone is keeping ok.

Ian

Blimey , your fan and housing look very very smart Ian , great job , i just got in from 600 mile trip to Birmingham plus other places , 12 hours nearly non stop driving and gave it some stick , these cars are brilliant considering their age .
Like the photo at whittle dene sunset :thumb:

Brilliant thread mate, wish i had seen it earlier, its a bit late notice but I have a guyson blast cabinet and you or any other 964 owner would be welcome to use it, within reason of course, keep up the thread!m

Well things have been a bit slow as I've been busy at work so just a few things to report.
After completing the above work I've had a few good blasts out in the car, so I jacked her back up and was a bit disappointed as there was a few places that still had oil drips :eek:
The lower chain tensioner had a drip of oil on both nuts so I decided to remove it and refit it with some instant gasket.
Upon removing it it became apparent I would not be able to use the instant gasket as there's an oil feed hole in the gasket, this must push oil through the hole and lubricate the tensioner spring, I was afraid if i used the sealer it might push out the sides and clog the hole :dont know:

Pic of gasket

Pic of tensioner

I've cleaned everything and refitted it, I'll have to order a new gasket from porsche!
I noticed a few oil runs at the nuts that fix the heads to the engine. I managed to get a 10mm spanner onto the oily one and get a good couple of turns on the nuts, they weren't tight!

Ok lads, the next major thing I'm going to attempt is the crank shaft oil seal(pulley end) as I have some oil deposits below this area.
Anyone attempted this? I've done a few searches and it seems straight forward apart from having to reassemble using a dial gauge?
I'll attempt the crank shaft oil seal and the chain tensioner gasket over the next couple of weeks and let you guys know how it goes.

Ps the left hand side of the engine is totally dry :thumbs:
The right hand side has oil under the tensioner as above and the right hand side lower cam cover has oil drips in numerous places, I think I will try removing it and use the sealer and stick it back down and see if this works?

Ian

Perseverance there Ian , hope someone can provide a little more info about the crank shaft oil seal , although im sure between you , your pop , and the net you will sort it anyway. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back