Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Outlaw

R500_WKD

Having mentioned my little project on the 964 forum I was asked to start a thread on it, so here goes.

Not sure what to call it. It's what I want rather than an authentic rebuild or recreation of any of the models. For want of a better phrase I call it the Outlaw, but I'm open to suggestions.

I have always been a bit of a fan of the pre '73 cars. That long bonnet shape is I think the most iconic of all the 911's. They are pretty little cars as well as being one of the most forward thinking vehicles of their generation.

there are bits I like from all of them, the arches of the '73 RSR, the lines of the '70 ST and the lights from the '67 R.

But I want something I can drive today. Not some highly tuned beast that will not sit in traffic - like my R500 - or something that gives you a headache after 100 miles. It has to look the part, go like it should do and be reasonably comfortable to drive.

So we started with an '86 Turbo shell. It was a Cat D shell only, already srtipped and back to metal, jigged and straight, not a spot of rust to be seen. The Turbo shell gave us the right suspension, steering, hubs and brakes, so a good place to start.

Off came the arches front and back and steel '73 RSR arches went on. Sunroof delete. Fiber glass RSR bumpers, and bonnet, steel engine lid. No duck tail - sticking to the pure lines of the ST. '67 R light clusters front and back frenched in so you can't see the joins.

The engine is a Varioram from a '97 993, front end write off car from Norfolk. The 'box a G50 fitted with Quaife LSD. Free flowing exhaust and a dyno tune should give us over 300 bhp, total weight should be around 1000 kg giving 300/tonne. From past experience this is about the right number to make it sufficiently exciting.

Interior will be sound proofed and carpeted rather than stripped. Seats re covered in leather from a '71 car, light weight door cards in leather and the same on the dash. Leather will be antiqued rather than new looking. Alloy half cage and some funky alloy gear stick and hand brake as well as alloy pedals should brighten up the black a bit.

The project started this time last year and has taken a little longer than planned. She's in the body shop at the moment and will hopefully be in paint in 2 to 3 weeks. Not sure how long it's going to take to bolt together but might get it on the road before the summer is out.

In case anyone else is interested I will post pictures and report on progress every week or so.

Nigel

8769964174_160ee9ae66.jpg

8769901886_f0769aeb43.jpg

8769891444_41cd237665.jpg

more updates please - love seeing a good project come together

:thumb:

:popcorn:

A bit of progress. The '67 R style rear lights are coming together now. In steel and frenched in rather than the plastic version that you see the gap round. This week doing the front lights and then it's time for the paint.

8939037895_1757c4c83d.jpg

8939066249_9b32648d1a.jpg

8939676116_94113cee00.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back