Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

Very nice............where will it end :dont know: I like the alu instrument rings. I'd dismissed these before as tacky (probably the chrome ones) but actually they look very good indeed :thumb:

dommorton said:
Didn't realise you can pull the whole top off these.

I levered the cap out of the middle and used needle nose pliers :grin:

There is more than one way to crack and egg.......but some are harder than others :lol:

Zingari said:
Very nice............where will it end :dont know: I like the alu instrument rings. I'd dismissed these before as tacky (probably the chrome ones) but actually they look very good indeed :thumb:

I was not sure myself but when I saw this version from Carnewal who only seem to source the best parts for the 993 I thought I would give them a go and so added them onto another order. I figured if I did not like them I could sell them on pretty easily.

I do like them fitted and I'm trying for a slight silver theme inside with the steering wheel stitching, gear stick top and other small things in the pipeline hopefully it will all come together without being OTT.

ellistai said:
I can see that you've got the "blue" M033 springs for the front (front doesn't have a choice anyway). What about the rear? "White" or "Lilac"?

The Carnewal kit comes with Rear Springs P/N 993 333 531 21 504 (White color).

The difference to the more expensive Lilac Rears (P/N 993 333 531 22 504) is negligible. Consequently everyone stocks the whites as they are interchangeable and you would never notice the difference.

jonttt said:
ellistai said:
I can see that you've got the "blue" M033 springs for the front (front doesn't have a choice anyway). What about the rear? "White" or "Lilac"?

The Carnewal kit comes with Rear Springs P/N 993 333 531 21 504 (White color).

The difference to the more expensive Lilac Rears (P/N 993 333 531 22 504) is negligible. Consequently everyone stocks the whites as they are interchangeable and you would never notice the difference.
Yeah, but as being OCD, shouldn't you opt for the Lilac one which is more correct for car with A/C? Price shouldn't be a concern of yours :grin:

But the slightly stiffer Lilac rear springs are for Tiptronic and White is for Manual cars. Mine is a manual.

I'll double check what comes off but everyone I've asked confirmed my car is white springs. I'm led to believe the difference is negligible in any event.

Hi,

What is the number of the Osram bulb for the light switch. I have to do that!

JL

They are a common fitting for all makes of car search 2721 bulb on ebay ;-)

thankyou !

Turbo S Front Bumper Duct Install

I've never really liked the fog light unit on the 993 which I think lets the look of the front end down. This is made worse by the fact that after upgrading the dipped beams to HID I'm less likely to ever need the front fog lights (especially as its not a daily driver so mainly summer use) and when they are on the colour looks very yellow compared to the HIDs and LED sidelight bulbs.

There is an OEM option that I do really like which is the Turbo S ducts which have an additional air intake for the Air Conditioning Condenser and Oil Cooler in place of the fog lights.

I was really impressed by the improvement in light quality the change from a halogen to LED bulb made in the sidelights (supplied as part of the HID kit documented previously) so decided to take this one stage further.

Gert Carnewal offers an upgraded LED unit for the Turbo S ducts in place of the standard Halogen units. This has the advantage of being made to measure ie custom LED enclosure and OEM connection. I ordered one of these upgraded units to try.

The units some primed ready for paint and the custom LED light housings can be removed (simply pulled off) to make painting easier.

However I did not like the fact that the yellow LEDs could be seen through the front lens so I decided to try some film over the lens to take the yellow contrast away whilst not adversely affecting light quality.

The units as they arrived primed for paint. I have removed one of the light housings for the pics.....

Parts for paint nb the primer was not needed as the units are ready primed I just gave them a key with wet n dry.

Ready for paint

Whilst waiting for the various layers of paint and laquer to dry I tackled the light lenses

I used some proven film from Ebay. There are various options but I thought I would try this stuff first and if I did not like it I could use more traditional smoked film. The advantage of this kit is that it retains a brighter light output than normal film.

Its very easy to use, you just cut to a rough shape and remove the backing to reveal the tacky back. You can put it in place, stretch it, refit it etc... and fix it in place by using a heat gun to cure the glue. It is removable if required with no residue.

One done prior to curing with heat from a hair dryer

The finished ducts

and with the LED units back in place

Before fitting a reminder of what it was like before.....

with HID dipped beam and LED sidelight bulbs

with the yellow looking fog lights on

The retaining clip for the sidelight can be reused with the custom plug and play LED unit

The only "snag" I hit was the the replacement duct did not have the retaining hole of the original. You can use a bolt and washer to retain but it was easy enough to drill a small hole and retain using the original screws

and the finished look (not the best lighting in an underground car park)....

and side lights on.........

and a good colour match to the HIDs

After fitting I realised (Doh!) that as well as allowing extra air flow these would also allow water to enter through the additional vents so I ensured that all electrical connections were fully waterproofed and refitted...

I'm very pleased with these and the sidelights are now bright enough to be used as daylight running lights. They retain the OEM appearance but bring the cars lighting fully up to modern specifications.

Fitted I think the lens film works really well, it hides the yellow LEDs, looks in keeping with the front end and does not affect light output, quality or colour.

Battery Isolator Fitted

Battery Isolator fitted.....

before:

after:

Broken Seat Trim replaced

Whilst cleaning the interior of the car I noted that one piece of plastic trim on the drivers seat was broken.

Replacement fitted......

broken hole where the retaining screw had been pulled through (the trim had probably been caught and pulled away at some point):

Trim removed and its always good to see genuine Recaro original labels still in place:

Job done in one minutes (I'm on a roll)....

Great work Jon!

:thumb:

LED number plate lights

Upgraded LED lights for rear number plates fitted.....

This is a quick job with two fittings to remove and two bulbs to replace. The fitting are simply held in with two philips screws and then pull out. The rubber sheath then pulls away to reveal the bulb which simply pushes into a retaining groove.

Note the wires are not as delicate as they appear as they are spade connectors under the protection cover. I took the opportunity to scrape away 16 years of surface corrosion off the spade connectors to leave nice shiney copper connectors

Original bulb in holder to be removed:

Upgraded LED bulb replacements:

Before:

Left side upgraded:

Job done:

Your work and enthusiasm continues to astonish me!

As does your ability to do all this yourself.

Do you do foreigners? :?:

I'm not too far away and can pay in cash. :thumb:

Only joking, but I've just bought the same exhaust tips as you and the OPC want an hours labour to fit them, even though I told them that the originals were removed last year for a bypass and polishing, so there will be no difficulties in removing them!!!!!!

Oh to be practically minded.

I was pleased with myself when I fitted the original over mats. :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back