Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

As part of my hobby I like setting myself some challenges to source parts second hand rather than take the easy route and buy new. This is not being a cheapskate but adds some fun for parts which ultimately are just as good second hand as new.

There are a few new motorsound airboxes on ebay at the moment from £90 to £139 :dont know: and I've made a few offers around the £60 which have been rejected so I was pretty pleased when I source one for <£60 delivered second hand.

Fitting is a 1 minute job by releasing the retaining clips at the top and front and pulling off the auxiliary rubber tube.

OEM standard and motorsound "sports" option side by side.

There is a cosmetic difference in the metal intake compared to the original plastic effort so everyone KNOWS you have the "upgraded" box installed :oops:

Then there is the performance enhancing holes in the side :?: Now I've done a fair bit of research into induction systems for other cars and fundamentally anything which is prone to bring hot engine air into the induction is more likely to reduce performance than increase it
ie colder air = more performance (and hence why a car always seems faster on a clear chilly winters morning blast because it is :wink: )
So drilling holes in the side surrounded by warm engine air does not on the face of it make sense. However due to some presumed air pressure entering the box when the car is in motion it is likely that this pressure would stop warm air from actually entering the induction through these additonal holes. It follows that any increased noise is created by this effect but with absolutely no performance benefits at all :?: If thats not the case then fitting this option would probably reduce performance so far as I can tell.

I've not driven it yet and have heard mixed reviews as to whether it compliments the RSR's or if any additional induction noise is hidden so will be interesting to hear and I will report back.

I'm not expecting a BMW CSL induction effect (the sound of a CSL induction under full load is awesome) :hand:

Fitted....... and I know I did not have the resource to clean it before fitting but I have new filters on order so will clean it then :thumb:

Its worth noting that people have spend £0 on this upgrade and simply drilled holes in the side of the standard box either to copy the motorsound box or larger holes. There is even an option to just buy a retaining frame for the filter and leave almost the entire side of the filter open. That would be the same as fitting an open cone filter which I don't really like as you are certainly dragging in warm engine air :frustrated:

Dont get many cars in that place :dont know:

400 spaces and about 200 cars use it. I have 3 or 4 cars in there at any one time :grin:

Its a great car park, city centre, 2 story underground, large spaces, 24/7 security, full CCTV, ventilated, well lit and allocated parking (we own a number of the spaces so now one else can park in them).

It helps when one of my companies runs it :wink:

Some nice cars in there but I still struggle to get the Phantom in :D

Here is a pic with Quentin Wilson with my excellent parking skills :oops:

Some small OCd jobs which make all the difference :grin:

Myu rear spoiler only had one protection cap fitted. If that would have been missing I would not have even known there should be some.

You need 6 of these in total

Here is full write up on fitting for those poor souls who are not very technical.....

1) raise spoiler. Hint it is easier to do this whilst stationary via the button in the car rather than at 40MPH + :hand:

2) push on each protection cap (one at a time unless you have really long fingers and are a magician)

3) lower spoiler via button in car (or slow down :dont know:)

job done 8)

Next was for the dreaded drainage rubbers. I had two missing so ordered 5 :roll:

nb these are listed under the headlight fittings on PET as they are also fitted in the headlight recesses.

and finally a more obscure part......door lock covers. As I have remote central locking I would only ever us the key in the door locks in an emergency. These are designed to stop crap getting onto the keyhole. Again I need to clean the keyholes properly at some point but covers fitted

before

after

Nice one Jon - Nipples and teats done :thumb: I will have to get the door lock caps :oops:

BTW have you ever been to the Chung Ku restaurant on the waterfront? Owner Norman Shum is a big Porsche fan - IIRC he has a 964 3.6 Turbo and I believe ninemeister are building a back-date for him. Goes by 'Nski' on RL

I know of it but never been. Its one of those places I've always wanted to try but never got round to it not helped by the fact the best known chinese in Liverpool is on my doorstep :D

Update on the motorsound airbox....... Yep it makes a difference........ Much more than I thought it would so will be staying on even if it does loose a few BHP. I did scare myself trying it out though :)

Hi!

where did you get the door lock covers from??

I got them from jasmine porsche a part as I have an office just down the road from them. You could order them from an OPC. The part number is in the picture.

I have received my cars official Porsche Certificate of Authenticity.

There is usually a fee for this but its free if you quote your PCGB membership number :D

I ordered some aluminium bezel rings and decided to fit them. I used Bluetack as contact adhesive so they are easily removable when required.

They will fit in with some other changes I have in the pipe line as part of my plans to "lift" the blue interior :wink:

and original v new look....

ps I've had more chance to drive the car with the new steering wheel fitted and I really am pleased with it :)

Another quick and easy job was to replace the blown light switch bulb.

These should be on whenever the ignition is on and so the bulbs must blow after a few years of constant use.

Very easy change, bulbs sourced for a few £ from ebay, pull off the knob top (nb you do have to pull hard but it will just pull off), pull out the exposed bulb left behind, push in new bulb (leave ignition on so you can check the bulb works) and then push the knob button back on (nb it does have a small grove so is directional with the bulb upside down when you push back on)

Knob pulled off with exposed bulb holder left behind (bulb removed)

New bulb in place

Job done....

Its weird to think this bulb could have been blown for 10 years and no one realised.

Is it working in yours :?: :grin:

I love buying a new hobby car, the first few months feel like Christmas every day :D

New suspension arrived today.

I was keen to retain the M033 OEM 4S suspension height and ride settings whilst upgrading the OEM dampers for some units which would last longer. The car will not be tracked and so I do not need a fully adjustable setup. Plus my other toy has a track "Race" suspension fitted which whilst great around the twisties does not half make the teeth chatter :lol:

I settled on the well proven Bilstien B8 (also known as HD's for Heavy Duty) with new OEM M033 springs. These do offer adjustablility for ride height/corner weighting but not bump and rebound.

nb The Bilstein B8 shocks/dampers have the same damping as the Bilstein B6 but the stroke of the pistons is 20mm shorter. Due to the shorter rebound, it makes the Bilstein B8 a better match for the shorter M033 / M030 OEM springs whilst allowing enough adjustment to retain OEM lowered ride height. B6's should be used if standard (longer) 993 ride height springs are used.

Delivered from Gert Carnewal whose customer service is second to none and he offers a range of well proven "kits" to meet all needs. He was also the cheapest I could find which is always an added bonus :thumb:

This is one heavy box but received 2 days from Belgium after placing the order. Its so nice to find a supplier who actually has what he sells in stock.

and the sun even came out for the unpacking...

includes new bump stops which is good as mine where picked up on the inspection as being rotten ....

I have to take my 3 year old daughter to Toys r Us now this afternoon as she wants to know why I am getting all the presents
:grin:

I can see that you've got the "blue" M033 springs for the front (front doesn't have a choice anyway). What about the rear? "White" or "Lilac"?

Didn't realise you can pull the whole top off these.

2013-05-24194621.jpg

I levered the cap out of the middle and used needle nose pliers :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back