Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DRIVE Video, Chris Harris and the 918 Spyder

rottenbend

Magny-Cours
Hot off the press this morning

Another great video from Chris :thumb:

I think he hit the nail on the head too wrt how the 918 appears to fall some way short of the mac and fez competition. For me it echoes the very similar scenario faced by the CGT when it looked positively ordinary next to the mighty f1, non too shabby enzo and a smattering of other contemporary hypercars of the noughties era.

I was left unmoved by the CGT and sadly I fear a similar fate awaits the 918, a real shame... :nooo:

Possibly - but it would be a hell of car at 1100kgs with 600+ horsepower.

Maybe that's what we'll see in the new 960 - here's hoping. :thumb:

I doubt if Porsche are losing any sleep over what anybody thinks of this car. They are a clever engineering company that is part of a major car group. There is obviously some very clever tech going on which will no doubt find it's way into more common or garden cars sooner or later. That's the bigger picture, not whether or not there are enough Chinese millionaires to absorb 918 cars.

Agree with all of that, but it still feels like another opportunity missed...

If I had the cash I would be sleeping in Reading OPC until they took a deposit from me for one of these. Couldn't care less that it reaches 186mph around 8 seconds slower than the Ferrari. I think it is a better looking car, it is definitely quick enough, and in the same way that 911 variants are more useable than f-cars, I expect the 918 to be much easier to live with than the LF. The mac is tempting, but then if I was in a position to buy the 918 it is likely that I would buy both.

It's a nice looking piece of kit, I doubt if anybody will ever see one on a morning commute. I'm just wondering if Porsche might ditch the Battery bank and put a KERs system in along the way. Something perhaps for the next generation.
I like the way the pulley belts have gone in favour of direct drive, expensive maybes to repair, however if you have that sort of money would you care.
It will be interesting to see how the car develops as I can't see it being limited to 918 cars or the tech stuff not filtering down.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back