Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Starting a car that's not moved for a year

Greg james

Hello looking for some advice I've not started or moved my 88 911 ssc for a year any advice. I've got a new battery but don't want to just turn it over any ideas. Thanks Greg

I believe that typical advice in pre-cat days was to take out (and leave out) the spark plugs, squirt some Redex (oil-based petrol additive) into each cylinder and then turnover the engine a few times to "prime" the oil channels and lubricate the bearings and cams at cranking speed. The plugs would then be replaced to fire up the engine.

Your '88 car probably has a cat though :dont know: , so oil in the cylinders wouldn't be a good idea as it would gum them up.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of removing the spark plugs (not so easily accessible on a 6-cyl boxer engine as on most cars) then removing the rotor arm would allow you to turn the engine over a few times to circulate oil before it actually fires up and subjects parts to higher loads and speeds.

It might be a good idea to add some fresh fuel to the tank unless fairly full, to replenish the more volatile components which may have been lost while the car has been idle.

PS: I hope you left the handbrake off while the car was idle, and that the brake pads retracted from the disc faces when the car was last parked. You may find that the wheels are reluctant to turn due to disc brakes and drum-type parking brakes binding.

Thanks for that. And I had the handbrake on but rolled it today and she moved. Thanks again and wish me luck.

Greg james said:
Thanks for that. And I had the handbrake on but rolled it today and she moved. Thanks again and wish me luck.

That's already a good result. :thumb: :thumb:

The petrol will be off, so put some new super unleaded in it.

I had mine standing for nigh on three years.
Pulled the king lead off the coil, and turned it over until an oil pressure appeared in the gauge, then put the coil lead back on, and it fired up.

That's brilliant do you think it will be alright to drive it to Porsche about forty miles from me for a service (if it starts)?

Greg james said:
That's brilliant do you think it will be alright to drive it to Porsche about forty miles from me for a service (if it starts)?

Anything less than that would probably be too little to loosen up all the crud in the oil passages so that it'll get drained off during the oil change. :thumb:

Thanks for all your advice she started like a bomb went off first turn of the key (After got the oil around) They don't make them like this anymore.

Greg james said:
Hello looking for some advice I've not started or moved my 88 911 ssc for a year any advice. I've got a new battery but don't want to just turn it over any ideas. Thanks Greg

Greg Just put the battery in the car and start it, no special precautions necessary. If the car was in good fettle when it was put into storage it will start no problem. If in the unlikely event that it wont start, that is the time to investigate further.

Edit-

Sorry, didnt read the nonsense after the first couple of posts talking about removing spark plugs etc...

Glad to see you got the car started Greg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back