Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

You sure had that car shining 24 hours later!

Do you get the guys in work to do it , or is it hands on?

Can you pass the car to them and get a "free" paint correction!? :mrgreen:

jonttt said:
What are the differences between the PA1000 and PA2000 ?

I am aware:-

- the PA1000 needs to red master to program new remotes and the PA2000 does not.

- the PA1000 flashes 4 times before locking the doors and the PA2000 locks them immediately.

I presume there are other differences ?

Those are the main differences. I believe it had upgrade options such as total closure, the main board is a little more advanced, and the siren is smaller with no key to deactivate it. I'm also certain the plip range is a little better.

ballcock said:
You sure had that car shining 24 hours later!

Do you get the guys in work to do it , or is it hands on?

Can you pass the car to them and get a "free" paint correction!? :mrgreen:

The guys that clean our company cars I would not let near mine :wink:

A couple of small but OCD necessary jobs completed last night.....

The door end trims seem prone to cracking as I saw a number of cars with this defect.

An easy fix as they are simply retained by one screw

Cracked original on passenger side

and the new replacement in place

of course OCD dictated that I had to also replace the drivers side so they both matched perfectly (they come in pairs ;-)

Next it was onto the brake and clutch rubber covers. These just pull off and push on with a little effort

Originals after 64,000 miles....

with rubbers removed, factory new

replacements fitted

I could then go for a nice Tapas content :D

Another few jobs crossed off the list today.

Firstly I replaced the battery with a Bosche S6 AGM battery. There was nothing wrong with the battery already fitted but as the car will spend long spells in secure underground storage where I don't have the option of attaching a trickle charger I wanted the advantage of AGM technology to make it less likely I will be faced with a dead battery when I want to drive the car.

Advantages of the S6 Batteries with AGM-Technology:-

Extremely cycle- and vibration-resistant
Up to 3 times longer service life due to AGM technology
Absolute maintenance free, spill and leakproof
Installable in any position
Highest original equipment quality

Next on the list was to fit my private numbers plates now they are legal.

This was the first day that temperatures and the sun made it feasible for me to really check the air conditioning on the car.

I knew the compressor was working as the revs changed as they should on turning the air con system on and off.

However I had no idea if the system was working as I could not perceive any real change in temperature. So while is under a 3 month warranty I decided to get it checked out and tested.

I took a chance and cold called into the local Kwik Fit. They offer a fixed price service and re gas for £50 and if your system is faulty there is no charge.

I was lucky and hit a quiet spell and so it was hooked straight up to their machine.

Phase 1 was to drain the system. The result was both zero gas and lubricant. This did not surprise me as the car had been stored for 3 years and there is no record of an air con service in the history for the car.

Phase 2 pressure test. Passed with flying colours holding 86 PSI. The Kwik Fit guy commented that was a very good reading. It basically means there are no leaks in the system and confirms the system had emptied purely due to timeframes and not leaks.

Phase 3 was filling the system with lubricant and coolant. The machine did not recognise a 1997 911 4S but did a 1997 911 4 so once I clarified it was the same car the machine was setup to go. It is important that the correct amount of lubricant and coolant is pumped in and it is different from system to system. Kwik Fit will not complete the process if the car is not known to the system.

Phase 4 was testing. I know have cold air conditioning in time for summer :D

Its great to know that the system is working correctly especially as it has probably not been ran for a good few years. I can now keep an eye on it over the next 2 months prior to the warranty expiring. I will run it regularly to ensure it is well lubricated and have a benchmark to judge deterioration against if any seals have failed.

Could not fault kwik fit at all or their service on this occassion.

HID Install.

I had ordered and received the T-Light from Tore Bergvill with the T-OBD a few weeks ago but today was the first chance for me to fit then.

http://www.bergvillfx.com/products.html

This really is a great quality plug and play bespoke piece of kit which is very easy to install.

The only real preparation you need is a wall to make sure the lights are lined up properly after fitment. I chose to do the install in the underground car park where the car is usually stored so it is easier to check alignment.

The kit which includes matching LED sidelight bulbs to be fitted at the same time

The procedure to remove the headlights is in the cars driver manual so I won't go through that other than to say I have never had a car that was so easy to remove a headlight unit

Once the rear cover is removed the OEM bulb is revealed with retaining clip and 2 wires which need to be disconnected

Its worth noting that the retaining bracket for the retaining clip can distort and there is a retrofit kit from Porsche available to fix this if there is a problem

However in my case the original fitting was fine. Here is the clip back in place with the HID bulb fitted

The HID ballast is then very neatly screwed to the rear of the back cover via customer made to measure brackets. This means that when the back cover is refitted the whole HID system is self contained within the light unit

Once the headlight was refitted it was just a matter of replacing the sidelight bulb with the supplied LED replacement

Original bulb

Replacement LED

Then the lights can be tested and compared. Remember to also check that the headlight motorised light level adjustment still works via the dial on the dashboard.

Left side fitted for comparison

and the finished result

On some cars these are a pain to fit but thanks to Tore's great piece of kit and very clear illustrated instructions it really was a 30 minute job and I'm very pleased with the end result.

jonttt said:
Next it was onto the brake and accelerator rubber covers. :D

Those will be the clutch and brake pedal rubbers. No new accelerator pedal? You're disappointing us ;-)

Which bulbs did you opt for - 4300k or 6000k ?

jonttt said:

What's your private place? 911 OCD.... :)

mohitos said:
jonttt said:
Next it was onto the brake and accelerator rubber covers. :D

Those will be the clutch and brake pedal rubbers. No new accelerator pedal? You're disappointing us ;-)

Oops you are correct. I wondered why I was not going anywhere :D

I had better correct my post before 15 people point out my error but you get first prize :D

Accelerator and footrest are on the list, I'm doing easy things first :grin:

mohitos said:
Which bulbs did you opt for - 4300k or 6000k ?

I went for the 4300k

Why would you fit inferior 6000k ?

Zantaz said:
jonttt said:

What's your private place? 911 OCD.... :)

If it was for sale :wack:

I fitted one I already have on retention so cost me nothing but the price of some new plates to fit. Its not Porsche specific but matches the one on my daily driver so will do for now :wink:

jonttt said:
This was the first day that temperatures and the sun made it feasible for me to really check the air conditioning on the car.

I knew the compressor was working as the revs changed as they should on turning the air con system on and off.

Argh! My eyes, my eyes! Dirty fan and less than attractive aircon pipes :sad:

Loving your work really but its re-kindled many memories for me.

Looks like the car has run for a little while with a broken spoiler curtain, this has a detrimental effect on many of the ancillaries in the engine bay as dirty water is sprayed all over and attacks the metal. Ideally you want to see golden hues from the passivate coating on the aircon pipes on low mileage cars. No problem though they tend to clean up, or you buy new hoses. Precision Porsche did a nice engine restore including replating all the parts etc, lovely job.

Its a satisfying job doing the whole spoiler/mechanism and bay. Here's my effort from a few years ago....

Not perfect but at 84k daily driver it was ok.

Also found some old pics of the new arch liners I did (can't recall anyone else doing this!) Have you done the underarch detail yet?

Lol, I'm only do the easy jobs first to ease me into Porsche ownership :D

I've got to leave some jobs for lazy sunny summer days :hand:

The engine will be detailed at some point. I've not even corrected the paintwork yet :wink:

Also the wheels will be removed, offsets checked and detailed. I'll probably run some spacers as like most OEM setups there is a good 15mm tolerance that can be used and will make the wheels sit much better to the arches.

The arch liners will be removed and detailed but the car did benefit from them being removed, cleaned and waxoyled less than 1,000 miles ago at Ninemeister. When I removed the headlights to fit the HIDS it is dirty behind but only surface as there is a good layer of waxoyl behind there as well.

The front headlight glasses are fresh as they were renewed c1,000 miles ago but the rears need a detail.

I will be prioritising mechanicals next, the car is booked into unit 11 next week and I will be going over it with a toothcomb with them plus the RSR's will be fitted whilst we have it up on the ramp.

I'm saving this weekend for driving and have a few good runs planned. I'm almost hoping the weather is bad so the roads will be quieter and I'm dying to see how the car handles in the wet on a fast road run. I've not ran 4 wheel drive since my scooby days. I had many a great day in the welsh valleys in the wet in a scooby. I can't really get away with it in the Z3m as its so tail happy in the wet.

I also have some more "mods" from Gert on the way to be fitted.

Still plenty to do to keep me busy this summer. I've not really started yet :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back