Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

Re: Becker Cascade Install

jonttt said:
I had the exact same black box when I tried to removed the aftermarket headunit (Kenwood IIRC).

So I guess it was the common part used to bypass the Nokia amp when aftermarket headunit was fitted.

Yep it looks as if the black box was a readily available part used by dealers and maybe aftermarket installers. At least it means there is some consistency.

The one downside with Becker pulling out of making these is the lack of ongoing support. However you can update the units to the last V5.2 system software (which I have done) and this allows you to load current BMW maps (I have 2012 maps on at the moment but will be updating to 2013 next week). Its a bit of an art in doing it but once you know how its easy. I'll post up more on that next week.

Jon - I will keep an eye on this, as I too have a Cascade Pro, which I'm a big fan of. It works so damn well with the 993 speakers, and looks as if it was fitted on the production line.

Quick question - How much do you control your phone through it..?? - Do you use the voice recognition stuff for dially, or do what I do, and dial from the phone and then speak through the Becker hands-free..?? I know there is a lot of control options with the Becker, but I'm hardly using any of them...

Oh, and I've put my tunes on an SD card and not through an i-pod - wish I'd gone i-pod now as it's a faff having my music on PC and Apple platforms (have an i-phone), but the SD card option works amazingly well.

:thumb:

Richyd said:
Jon - I will keep an eye on this, as I too have a Cascade Pro, which I'm a big fan of. It works so damn well with the 993 speakers, and looks as if it was fitted on the production line.

The Cascade pro is a great unit. I use my iphone via bluetooth and also have a cheap sim card in the head unit which I use purely for international calling.

Haven`t got around to setting up the voice commands but it looked easy enough

I don't have the Pro version. I believe the difference is the SD card slot and sim card slot.

The Ipod interface is brilliant. I now have 3 old ipods in each of my cars (my merc command system is Becker based and has ipod intregration built in). I have them all on the same playlist in iTunes so I just plug them into my computer a couple of times a year and all my cars have the same tracks on.

The interface will just plug straight into the Pro but you need to rewire the microphone wires as they share the same plug socket at the back of the headunit. You used to be able to pick the kit up for c£75 but they seem hard to get hold of now (there are copies but the originals offer much more functionality). I had to pay c£100 from German eBay.

Re hands free I don't use voice control at all. You can bluetooth over your address book from the phone (I'm not sure if this was a version 5.2 software upgrade as I can't remember the option before) and I also setup my regular numbers as shortcuts. If I'm driving I use the cascade address menu to search but if I can pull over it is easier/quicker to use the phone to find the contact and make the call.

I would love to here the original Becker unit that was in my car from factory as I believe it is actually a rebadged Becker Traffic Pro. I bet this would have been much better quality than the Sony unit that was fitted when I bought it so effectively someone at some point downgraded the head unit :?:

ps if anyone wants to upgrade to the last Becker v5.2 system software and maps (either 2009 becker maps or later 2012 BMW maps) pm me and I'll tell you how. Its very easy to do ;-)

I had a choice today.

Spend the afternoon fiddling with the 993 and get the replacement alarm board fitted or take it on a run over to Llandudno for Porsche's on the Prom PCGB day........:?:

yep I took it for a run :hand:

weather was no brilliant, in fact it erm.... cold but it stayed dry until mid afternoon.

I tagged onto a convoy of about 20 Porsche's on the A55 which was a great way to arrive.

Had a few good chats to some 993/996 owners but I don't think I bumped into anyone from here :sad:

Sadly I had to leave early to get back to Liverpool but by then it had started raining anyway :roll:

Great turnout given the weather with over 100 cars lined up

I would have made the run but work commitments got in the way :pc:

Hang on a tick ...

It rained?

And some of it landed on your car!?

How did you reshape the melty bits? :grin:

Well after my failed attempt to swap the new alarm board into the car last week HERE the correct tool arrived to remove the security screws.

RSS Online

A job is a lot easier with the correct tools :pc:

Correct driver from RSS online at c£20 delivered :x

Once the passenger seat was removed (again) and alarm case released (again) it left the 4 philips screws (again) and 2 security screws that halted proceeding last week to be removed (only the centre top and bottom security screws need to be removed).

The board then slips out of the case. note that the board was a very snug fit into the retaining grooves so I had to remove the cabling first and then work the board out of the case.

Its also worth noting that I left the battery connected and removed the 2 small power plugs first. To be ultra PC you should always disconnect the battery before working on electrics but I didn't see any practical issues in leaving it connected so long as power is removed from the board first and connected back last.

The original board removed and cables disconnected

It was interesting to note that the board is dated the day before the car was first registered which I found surprising. I assumed the alarm system were all fitted to cars on arrival in the UK ie at the same place (so far as I know the system fitted to UK cars was unique to the UK and not fitted at the factory). Fitting the day before registration implies the systems were fitted by OPC's themselves just prior to registration?

Original '97 board on the left, new board on the right. Again its worth noting that the new board is dated 2013 implying that these are not old stock but new boards that have been made up ? There are some differences in the boards when comparing like for like.

Again it is worth noting that there are 4 jumper switches which should all be on the OFF position. Its easy to knock these whilst fitting the board so check them before closing the protective case. To add confusion OFF on the original board is all DOWN but OFF on the new board is all UP :roll:

Its then a matter of fitting the board 2/3 the way into the protective case. Again it is a very tight fit as the board seems slightly too wide for the groves that retain it in the case but with patience it will slide back in (some force is needed so be careful !).

When the board is 2/3 back in the 5 cables can be fitted. Fit the power cables (smaller ones on the left front of the board) last.

Before fitting the cover test it all works.

One of my controls worked first time but the second had to be programmed using the new red master fob. I think this is because I ordered the 2nd fob which was extra and only one is factory programmed to the board.

Once you are sure its all working then fit everything back together.

I now have 2 brand new sets of keys and fobs.

I just need to get some new stickers made up for the front of the new alarm fobs with the Porsche logo on :D

as an added bonus I found the 2nd alarm siren disable key under the carpet edge. As these are no longer available and I could not source a locksmith with suitable keys blanks to cut a spare this was a real bonus and a reward for doing this job almost twice :grin:

ballcock said:
Hang on a tick ...

It rained?

And some of it landed on your car!?

How did you reshape the melty bits? :grin:

lol I like my cars mint but I also like to drive them. Therefore I do not worry about the odd stone chip or getting them dirty. I just make sure they are cleaned after :hand:

This is my Z3m after a fast west coast to east coast run over the Pennines and through the Yorkshire Dales

and this is the car the day after ready for a BMW show........

I find if a car is well maintained it is far easier to clean, the mud just fell of it :thumb:

Glad you got the PA1000 sorted in the end :thumb:

dommorton said:
Glad you got the PA1000 sorted in the end :thumb:

Yep, thanks to your links to the correct driver :worship:

No point someone else reliving my pain if it can be avoided :grin:

My current 993 has a brand new complete PA2000 so hopefully that'll be trouble free for a good while.

What are the differences between the PA1000 and PA2000 ?

I am aware:-

- the PA1000 needs to red master to program new remotes and the PA2000 does not.

- the PA1000 flashes 4 times before locking the doors and the PA2000 locks them immediately.

I presume there are other differences ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back