Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

Keep it coming, really good to see a bit of a bit fo fresh blood in teh 993 gang to spur everyone up!

Just on the leather treatment....I never thought much of the Zymol and it appears your seats and steering wheel are still quite shiny. I like the new matt look and find Zaino is much better at acheiving this and smells great too. The stitching comes up very well. Am sure you are an old master but just in case its definitely worth trying. Zaino Z9.

I actually like the amber bulbs in the clear lenses. Each to their own but wonder is that not an MOT issue (once a year of course).

Now, I'm wondering how much OCD you are going to do underneath, that is going to be interesting to follow :)

I'll try the zaino, thanks for the tip as I agree I prefer a more original matt finish.

I've changed the front bulbs to remove the yellow in preparation for stage 2 ;-) it can't be an mot failure as my Z3m has exposed chrome bulbs and passes without problem. I always leave the Amber's in the car as spares though.

One upside to a week off is I did plenty of Internet shopping so there is plenty more to be added to this journal over the next few weeks !

My priority initially will be cosmetic but it will be on a ramp in a few weeks to fit RSR's, new heat shields, straps and the big ovals. Remap will probably follow that next.

I did pick up some VW red touch up as a just in case for the big reds, does that count ?

Make sure you take some before and after sound clips for the RSR fitment Jon. I know its been done to death, but we can never have enough flax six noise!

Hi Jonttt, I don't know what make the rear speakers are the previous owner had them fitted and they don't seem to be marked. You might get away without having to take the seat out again if you can get in to snip the tie wrap that someone has used to secure the original grey cable. Mine was just tucked under the carpet and you can get at the front of the amp fairly easily with the seat in place.

I'll have a go with seat in first although I have to remove the seats again for another job I have planned to be revealed later :D

Some more bits and bobs arrived today......

I knew pre purchase that my car did not have the original Red Master programming fob for the alarm unit. Both alarm fobs are rather tired as well.

So in a fit of OCDness I could not sleep knowing the car was incomplete :eek: and so ordered the new alarm board required to order a new Red Master Fob. The kit comes with one remote fob for daily use which is a new smaller design. I could not have mismatching fobs and so had to order a second fob as well :roll:

New alarm kit...

and new smaller design of alarm fob....

The board is supposed to be plug and play under the seat so will update with pics of the install when done.

Interestingly I have one small key to disable the alarm siren. I have tried two locksmiths to get a spare cut and both have informed me that they cannot get suitable blanks to cut a copy. Whilst I was onto H&P (who were fantastic by the way) I asked about this. They said that they had the alarms custom made and had ran out of spare keys some years ago. They had tried to get spares themselves unsuccessfully.

So if you have one of these keys look after it. I'll be keeping mine with the red master key at home.

Strasse had supplied me with one key and a new key blank and key head. I had got the key cut easily and so effectively had one new complete key but that made the original seem shoddy. Plus it had lost the Porsche crest. So I ordered a new keyhead. Removing the old keyhead proved impossible (well I gave up as I knew it would be binned) and so I had to saw it off :eek:

So when the new alarm fobs are working I will have two brand new complete set of keys and fobs.

Plus I will have one spare fully functional board with two working remotes. This will be worth its weight in gold when the boards become obsolete :D

Other items received.....

New pedal rubbers

So thats my OCD fix for the day :?:

dommorton said:

Slight OCD fail there with the non Porsche branded fobs though. Sleep well :eek:

:grin:

They won't stay like that ;-)

I read your post re the problems you had with your alarm board and thats what made me order the kit :D
The complete story (which fits in line with my OCD) is that I was sat having a beer outside the cafe de paris in Monaco whilst SWMBO was shopping (payback for buying the Porsche without telling her :dont know:) and yep you've guessed it I had my ipad reading through old forum posts :eek: I phoned up P&H and placed the order before I had finished my beer (but at 15 euro a pop you drink them slowly!) :grin:

Dream911 said:
How much did the new alarm board cost?

The breakdown was:

Kit = new alarm board, red master , x1 new fob = £165+vat

x1 additional new alarm fob = £45+vat

Delivery £15+VAT

Total including VAT = £270

muggins here will do the labour so that's free

jonttt said:
dommorton said:

Slight OCD fail there with the non Porsche branded fobs though. Sleep well :eek:

:grin:

They won't stay like that ;-)

I read your post re the problems you had with your alarm board and thats what made me order the kit :D
The complete story (which fits in line with my OCD) is that I was sat having a beer outside the cafe de paris in Monaco whilst SWMBO was shopping (payback for buying the Porsche without telling her :dont know:) and yep you've guessed it I had my ipad reading through old forum posts :eek: I phoned up P&H and placed the order before I had finished my beer (but at 15 euro a pop you drink them slowly!) :grin:

Go careful reading my old posts! They'll cost you a whole lot of money and time :grin:

Goodies have been arriving all week including ......

T-OBD Diagnostic Cable

http://www.bergvillfx.com/products.html

I have experience of getting early BMW OBDII complaint cars to work and to be honest it can be a bit of a nightmare but doeable. So I was not particularly looking forward to starting this ie I knew if the comms did not work I would not be able to leave it and it could take up days of my life :pc:

I have to say it could not have been easier..... Plugged the T-OBD into my laptop USB drive, drivers found (windows 7) automatically. Went to car and plugged diagnostic end into car, started engine, plugged into computer again and worked first time :thumb:

So results........

1 error code :eek:

but not that serious (I hope).

The CCU (climate control unit) is showing 43 =Rear blower motor speed 1

I'll post up in a new thread to see if anyone has experience of this. I'm guessing its either a faulty motor or relay.

It will go on my list (number 1) of warranty items for Strasse.

I'm getting the car inspected and RSR's fitted by Unit 11 in a few weeks. My plan is if the full list of faults is cheap / easy I will just get sorted myself. Otherwise car will be going back into Strasse to honour their 3 month warranty. Its one of the nice things about a good indy warranty. I should not have to worry about faults, the main issue is identifying them within the 3 months :D

Some pics:

The T-OBD. A robust well made piece of kit.

OBD connection point in passenger footwell with cover removed

Example diagnostic screen for main DME

A quick question.......

On driving home tonight I noted that all interior buttons etc.. light up as one would expect with the exception of the actual light control knob itself. It seems strange that this is the only one not lit.

Is this normal or has a bulb gone ?

My next task ended up in an epic fail, 2 hours wasted time but a curry after :D

I thought I would swap over the alarm boards as it would only take me an hour ie whip out the passenger seat, alarm unit, swap boards, put back together and check new fobs work, simplez.

Well not quite. The alarm unit is secured to the car with 2 security bolts. I managed to remove these with a normal 6mm socket. There are then 4 normal screws and 4 security screws on one side that need removing. I also think only 2 of the security screws actually need removing. The reason I only think this is I could not get the bu$$ers off.

So a quick trip out (not as it was in rush hour!) to the local car factors, halfords, screwfix, tool shed and none of them had the required bit (Halfords had down to 8mm :evil: )

So what did I learn from this:

- make sure you have the right tools before the job (to be fair there are no instructions on how to replace the board as I think it was originally a dealer only job)

- driving with no passenger seat made me feel like I as on track

- I hate putting things back I know I'm going to have to repeat again :pc:

Anyway correct bit ordered off fleabay.

Silver lining was I drove part of the way back behind a rather lovely 993 C4S :eek: I felt like I was going to a meet :D

PA1000 alarm unit

I had to cut one cable securing strap to get the unit out (after to 2 security bolts to the floorpan)

I managed to get the first 2 out with a normal socket without much drama

unit removed. Note it is a very tight fit under the metal bracket but will work its way out

Label under the unit

and the stubborn bolts on the side (top bottom in middle) that I could not remove

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back