Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

jonttt said:
Unfortunately the rear wiper would not fit ie the wiper arm would not sit back on the window due to a longer/higher than OEM edge style. So I had to fit the OEM ones back on and will order a new one.

No - you don't.

Take the PIAA blade and fit it into the OE frame.

Not difficult.

Ahhhh so obvious when you put it that way ;-)

I've had trouble sourcing electronic versions of the original Porsche UK brochures for my car (1997).

In any case I would always try to source originals for my cars records. I managed to source a brief sales flyer and comprehensive Exclusive / Tequipment options brochure from eBay.

So I thought it worthwhile scanning them in to share. They can be downloaded from the following links in PDF format.

Porsche Exclusive & Tequipment Brochure (UK 1997 986 & 993 & 996)

Porsche Model Brochure (UK 1997 986 & 993)

nb this covers 1997 models other than the 993 so may be of interest to other members of the forum.

The Exclusive / Tequipment Options is an interesting read if you have not seen it before.

Edit: as I build up my 'collection" I started a separate library thread here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=82579

Completely off-topic, I have witnessed security issues with Dropbox. i.e. loss of data.

The Dropbox solution is also of a type where you allow a section of your own PC to be accessed from the Internet - not a great idea.

Googledocs solution, which is all in the cloud, does not have such a security issue.

....and you're back in the room :what:

6 pages on and no one has mentioned ToreB's HID kit.

One of the best bang for buck mods available, in my mind. Added bonus of the Led spots in the fogs as well.

light.jpg

Already on order and confirmed dispatched as well yesturday :D

I have also ordered the diagnostic kit from him ;-)

I'm like a kid in a sweet shop :grin:

orangecurry said:
Completely off-topic, I have witnessed security issues with Dropbox. i.e. loss of data.

The Dropbox solution is also of a type where you allow a section of your own PC to be accessed from the Internet - not a great idea.

Googledocs solution, which is all in the cloud, does not have such a security issue.

....and you're back in the room :what:

We use both dropbox and skydrive quite extensively at work without issue. So far as I know the version of dropbox used for the above links is stored in the cloud on their servers and not the version stored on my machine. As always with IT though were there is a will there is a way which is why I have multiple backups off all my important files and any with sensitive data are encrypted ;-)

My C4S is the 996 variety, which I know isn't your cup of tea. However I'm loving this Thread, the 993 is certainly a peach.. 8)

My 993 C4S

Midnight/Grey
22,000 miles
OCD complex!

Watching this thread with interest....

Need a becker next, endless list of things to be done.

Attachments

• 993_201.jpg
    993_201.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 14,031
Wow these cars do get the "right" kind of attention don't they. From the chap in the pub toilet asking if that's my 993 outside (do you know a Porsche enthusiast when they refer correctly to a 993 rather than a 911 ?), the security chap at the local Tesco Local nearly having an orgasm and a number of my neighbours coming out for a good butchers (something they never do with the ferrari !)

The best has to be filling up with petrol late last night though. I pulled up with a rather tatty vectra rep mobile at the next pump. Whilst queuing to pay I heard the teenage attendant say "nice car mate" to the Vectra driver. He responded with a "yep it is" with a big grin on his face. When I was paying the same kid asked me if that was my Porsche? "yes" was my reply. "oh I thought it was the other guys at first. Someone told me that some Porsche's don't have an engine at the front ?". "only those with heated seats" I replied to which he nodded. Not a car nut then !

please note I have no disregard for Vectra drivers it was just a funny scenario.

It is these types of things that I love about driving a car that is different from the norm. I get similar genuine complimentary comments when I drive my Z3m.

I don't drive the Ferrari's as much now as they generally attract the exact opposite kind of attention.

I really put this down to a general appreciation of a nice car which Joe public can imagine it would be feasible for them to own "one day" but for mostly practical considerations such as an older Porsche or BMW. A ferrari does not have that same appeal to people (car nuts aside) and hence leads to a combination of resentment and "stand offishness" which is not appealing to me at all.

After almost a week of R&R in the South of France (thats the official story but I literally spend all of my chill out time thinking of the 993) it has been great to actually do a bit of driving, well I've used it for my daily commute via some little "diversions". One aspect that I've experienced before but is funny to see again is the difference in the commute's hussle and bussle with would be grand prix drivers. On two occassion this morning I had the pleasure of getting to know the car by executing rather impressive (even if I do say so myself) and safe overtaking manouvers much to the obvious annoyance of "I've got a big engined twin turbo deisel" company car driver (its worth noting that that is me 99% of the time lol). How they think that a diesel will keep up with a Porsche in real world "spirited" driving I have no idea. I am slip streaming and waiting for them to hit their 5k rev limit and they look shocked when I glide around them. A lovely feeling. Needless to say the drive into work was a joy and finished far too quickly. I just wish I could justify driving a car like this for the other 40k business miles I do per year :sad:

Anyway I'm off to lunch now, well I need to see a man about a dog in the middle of nowhere :D

Oh I almost forgot. I knew my boss had a few Porsches tucked away but was never really sure what they where. Imagine my surprise (and a little shock) when I arrived at work yesterday and an Arctic Silver 993 C2S was parking in his space with one of his private regs on. As I walked past it had a midnight blue interior. That felt really weird. I have not had the chance to tell him of my 993 let alone a near twin. He confirmed he has had it "a couple of years" and also bought a white 964 with 10k on the clock for his Mrs at the same time . He bought them simply because "they are the best looking car he has ever seen". If you knew his past / current car history then you would realise thats a remarkable statement. Anyway the "one upmanship" has started and he has had me email him the link to the "Big Red" upgrade from Carnewal. How do you complete with a rich person, you don't, I concede :eek:

Hi Jonttt, To respond to your questions about fitting your Becker unit there are a few things to watch out for. I completely re-wired the Indianpolis Pro on my C4S after a bodge job by the previous owner. The main thing is that the ISO connector is not wired in the standard way. I discovered this after conversations with Becker experts in Germany and the UK. You need to get the amp trigger wire on the correct pin. See the diagram I drew on the thread at the link below.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=76100&highlight=becker

There is a GAL signal which is used for speed dependant volume control as well as accurate navigation. The best place to pick this up is pin G15 on the multi plug on the back of the air con unit. You also need the reverse signal from pin G7. The best place to pick up the variable level back lighting is from the lamp connector in the ash tray. Check out Porsche Technical bulletin 9120 which gives guidance on this.
The other tricky job is mounting the antenna. Best place for this is behind the central vent. There is an area immediately above this where you can strap the ground plate using small tie wraps and there is no steel in the dashboard above it so you get very strong reception of satellites. This was recommended by a Becker installer in the UK.
Nav discs are now up to version 7. I got mine direct from Navteq.
Good luck.

Thank you that is incredibly helpful and save me a job this evening researching the wiring.

I think from memory that mine has the same unconnected Grey Din wire lying unconnected under the seats. I remember thinking that was a spare if a CD changer option was fitted but obviously not.

I assume I'll find a similar bypass behind the current Sony unit.

I'm hoping to have time this week to get it all fitted as it arrived whilst I was away.

I've now got the v5.2 software which supports 4GB CF cards so am hoping I can get a copy of the 2013 BMW navtec maps to work (with speed camera POI's). Will be fun trying once I have it all wired up correctly anyway.

Out of interest what upgraded rear speakers did you fit ? I'm not really into high end audio in a car but appreciate a decent quality. It may be that the OEM install meets my needs with the updated Becker head unit.

Anyway thanks again :worship:

Edit: Checked the pics from seat out during last weeks interior clean and sure enough the Grey Amp Cable is sitting there disconnected and replacement cable in place. I guess the Becker install will involve seats out again :damn:

Re: My 993 C4S

g8naj said:
Midnight/Grey
22,000 miles
OCD complex!

Watching this thread with interest....

Need a becker next, endless list of things to be done.

Looks like my cars older brother and I see that your'e not far from me, you must bring it along to the Porsche night on Poole Quay next month.

Attachments

• kingston_lacey_874.jpg
    kingston_lacey_874.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 13,792
Managed to get a couple of small jobs done tonight.

So far as I know Porsche never offered a none amber side indicator option for the 993.

In my haste pre collection of the car I ordered a clear set of indicators from a well known Porsche supplier website. I was not really that impressed with the quality or look of them in the flesh or when fitted to the car.

So after a bit more research of options I realised that they are the same part as a VW golf from the same period. There were more options under that criteria and so I sourced another set. When these arrived they were twice the quality for a quarter of the price. Lesson learned.

Before:

After:

Next I moved onto the front indicator bulbs. I replaced the orange bulbs with silver

Before:

After:

I also changed the DME relay 53 as a preventative OCD measure (it is widely reported as prone to failure). I'll keep the original in the car as a spare.

New relay in place and old relay to be boxed as a spare...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back