Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

You didn't have 8OY on one of them did you :dont know:

Great looking car mate

I saw this in Strasse when I got mine from there, in fact I would have had it if my budget allowed!

Very pleased with mine though and echo your comments about Strasse.

Went through a similar process you describe when getting mine, looked at
996's and 7's but once I'd driven the 93 ... That was it.
Love the Z3, one of those that really grew on me years after they came out, they look fantastic

Hobbo

Zingari said:
You didn't have 8OY on one of them did you :dont know:

No never had 8OY. We got BOY1 from Lisa Stansfield. In fact I'm not sure if we still own it or not or if its on retention. Not seen it on one of the cars for a while.

Hobbo said:
Great looking car mate

I saw this in Strasse when I got mine from there, in fact I would have had it if my budget allowed!

Very pleased with mine though and echo your comments about Strasse.

Went through a similar process you describe when getting mine, looked at
996's and 7's but once I'd driven the 93 ... That was it.
Love the Z3, one of those that really grew on me years after they came out, they look fantastic

Hobbo

Thanks Hobbo, good to hear from someone with experience of Strasse :thumb:

One more sleep to go :D

Could not resist a trip to my first OPC to collect some bits n bobs including the the "Big Ovals" in C4S offset.

DSCF0094.jpg

DSCF0093.jpg

DSCF0092.jpg

The best part was my new PCGB membership gave me the 10% discount which has paid for itself already :thumb:

So pick the car up tomorrow and a run planned on the way back to Liverpool.

I doubt I will get much detailing done this weekend as I'm still thawing out from Aintree yesterday and a trip to Cannes next week will mean any updates will have to wait a week or so.

Bonus was Strasse have told me they have replaced the front discs (voluntarily) as they were not happy with them. Good to see an indy prepping a car with customer service in mind.

Ouch! What was the damage for those from the OPC?

Nope they were as expensive as everywhere else but then I got 10% off so
It made them cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

They were c£200 each plus vat so I saved about £48 after vat. With some other bits n bobs I picked up I saved just over £60 with the 10% PCGB discount.

I learned a long time ago with BMW that its always worth checking main dealer prices especially on classic parts.

My first experience of an OPC (Chester) was very good, very friendly and they were sorry they could only do 10% off the big ovals. Other parts they told me they would try and do better so its always worth asking the question.

Agreed I use OPC a lot for new parts too.

Just knew they would have been a bit pricey!

Good for you. These cars are worth spoiling :grin:

First I have to say a big thank you to SWMBO. I have enjoyed a true boys weekend :D

Picked up my new toy Saturday, had a great run back from Leeds to Liverpool with no motorways, did a bit of quick tinkering, had an all night poker session, then spent today cleaning the interior and driving the new car. I'm now officially knackered but grinning from ear to ear :thumb:

Saturday I managed to fit new wiper bladed. Nothing wrong with the old ones, I'm just OCD.....

2013-04-06163601.jpg

I had picked up the bumper widget from OPC earlier this week....

2013-04-07081849.jpg

The widget was a little too big to fit the wiper holes so I had to trim it to fit snugly....

2013-04-07081930.jpg

2013-04-07082238.jpg

2013-04-07082337.jpg

Note: I need to refurbish the wiper arms

Unfortunately the rear wiper would not fit ie the wiper arm would not sit back on the window due to a longer/higher than OEM edge style. So I had to fit the OEM ones back on and will order a new one.

I then fitted clear lenses. I had heard that removing the side indicators is a bit of a pain but I found with the right trim tools it was pretty easy to remove them.

2013-04-06165741.jpg

Then moved on to fit new remote batteries.....

2013-04-07110458.jpg

Then I moved onto a full interior clean today....

It was great to see the original 1997 overmats still fitted.....

2013-04-07112052.jpg

and then seat out to make the task easier.

It was very original underneath with the obligatory lost coins hiding.....

2013-04-07115317.jpg

2013-04-07115323.jpg

2013-04-07115350.jpg

and it was nice to find an original item from the service history

2013-04-07155052.jpg

Someone claimed the front seats before I could make a start cleaning them.

2013-04-07115912.jpg

They were already pretty clean but always surprising how much ingrained dirt can be removed.....

2013-04-07124658.jpg

After cleaning a couple of coats of leather treatment were absorbed and buffed up.

2013-04-07132712.jpg

2013-04-07132723.jpg

The seats have cleaned up really well. There is some very slight wear on the drivers entry side so I'll source some dye to match. I usually use a firm in Germany who can provide perfect matches for OEM german leather dyes so will get in touch with them.

All carpets and leather were cleaned and protected.

2013-04-07140810.jpg

2013-04-07140818.jpg

2013-04-07151233.jpg

2013-04-07151240.jpg

2013-04-07151250.jpg

2013-04-07151339.jpg

I love doing a clean like this to get to know a car. I knew this was a sound interior beforehand but having had it to pieces I now know why these cars are said to be made out of granite. The build quality and quality of materials really is top draw. For a 16 year old car with 64,000 miles on the clock to clean up so well is amazing. I have a small list of trim I will replace but to be honest I was scratching around for things that needed replacing. Even the original overmats have cleaned up like new. I love the fact that they are original and do not detract from the car at all. All I can say is well done Porsche. I guess I'mm too used to Ferrari trim coming off in my hand (I joke not!).

I then went for an afternoon blast on some of my favorite local B roads to get to know the car (after a can of red bull as I'd had 2 hours sleep :eek: )
I'll not bore you with all the reasons why, after all we all drive basically the same car (TT excepted) but I absolutely love it. I had to run a 8/10ths to get the new discs bedded in fully but that was probably a sensible things until I get used to the handling.

A couple if initial thoughts..... the steering is a lot heavier than I am used to. Again probably a result of todays supercars having much lighter steering characteristics. Its no bad thing but something I need to get used to. It will be interesting to see what effect the smaller diameter steering wheel I have ordered will have on this. The large wheel almost felt as if it got in the way a lot of the time on fast bends which was a reason a changed the similar diameter fixed wheel on the Z3. I hope as per the Z3 the smaller wheel will improve this. It is worth noting I'm over 6 feet and large build.

The gearshift is simply stunning. Again so much more fun compared to the new generation of auto boxes in the ferraris. Combined with the NA engine it has that sense of smooth brute aggression that more modern cars cannot replicate.

The OEM exhaust is too quite. I test drove a fair few cars with adapted exhaust systems and they sounded so much more in tune with the engines intent. Again I'm used to Ferrari's in race mode and the Race spec Eisenmanns on the Z3. I think I'll be ordering a set of RSR's to try.

I then had to swap cars to get my daily driver. The 993 will be spending its rest periods at my secure city centre underground parking. As I'm away next week it will be a couple of weeks before I can get to grips with detailing the exterior and engine bay, I can't wait.

I took the opportunity for some exterior shots on the way over. Please bear in mind there is c 200 miles of road grim and the light was pretty poor and no tripod so the pictures are not the best ......

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

and with its stablemate.....

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

a great weekend :bye:

Top drawer write up!

Well I managed to get hold of a Becker Cascade headunit of ebay today so thats another thing crossed off the list.

I have the same unit in my Z3m so have fitted one before. This one comes with the last / current v5 Maps and software CD so the added benefit is I can "upgrade" my other unit for free.

I have a few lazy questions as I've not had chance to research but:

- does the 993 use a standard ISO conenction block or will I need an adaptor to ISO ? Actually the car has a retrofit sony unit in so if it does need one its probably already fitted.

- My car has the upgraded sound system (I think) which I presume means amp and so I need to use pre outs from the becker ?

- Does the 993 have a GAL signal.

ps I've renamed this thread as its becoming more like a journal than an introduction.

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous :thumb:

As part of the OCD you may want to consider fitting fog lamp/air ducts from Carnewal...

Already on my radar ;-)

The standard sidelight / fog light units are rather disapointing in appearance aren't they.

I just need to decide on which version to get. I've heard the OEM Turbo S ones are a better fit ?

Good and yes, they are disappointing to put it mildly.

I was not aware of the OEM Turbo S ones when I was looking and probably are a better fit.

If you do decide to source from Carnewal, be aware the bulbs are cheap Chinese versions and you'll need to fit better ones not long afterwards.

Either way, this mod makes the car look much better IMHO and I look forward to seeing the change to your baby :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back