Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

Great looking car Jon, and nice to hear from some one who intends to keep a C4S long term
:welcome:

More pics once you have it home please...........

stutaler said:
Great looking car Jon, and nice to hear from some one who intends to keep a C4S long term
:welcome:

+1 long term C4S ownership is the way forward... I've now had mine for more than half its life! :D

Wow hollow spokes are in demand aren't they. I've had a few enquiries about them so thought it was worth clarifying that it was a nice surprise when I found they were on the car. As they are OEM and lighter than solid spokes they are an upgrade I would probably have done myself so have saved me some cash to spend on other things 8)

Thanks to those who offered and I don't need a chip shop in Grimsby :?:

Welcome and well done for a stirling choice in 993!
Fat arches are they way forward I say.
So with all this talk of hollow spokes do they realy make that much difference to the feel of the car?

Welcome, lovely looking car
Hope you enjoy it :thumb:

Hi Jon, great car, great write up and welcome to the silver club! I didn't know what M599 was either, so I can relax now....

I think yours is the first 993 I've seen with a clear to amber conversion on a C4 model. Great that you are going back to clear ones. I won't ask if you have any plans for the exhaust system, suspension/geo or oil! :wink:

The Raid wheel is lovely, I have a Silberpfeil but an Atiwe branded one. It's 340mm and feels great but sometimes I think it looks a little too small. I might try a 365mm one from Gert at Carnewal later this year.

Here's my 340mm installed:

DSC_1746-2_zps161e860a.jpg

I'll then be up to three steering wheels, so not as bad as your six sets of wheels for the Z3M!

I've also got a bit of a thing for M-cars, having had a few BMWs over the years, including an E39 M5 and an E46 M3, which I've just sold. I nearly went for a breadvan instead of the M5, but that V8 did it for me at the time.

cyruspower said:
I think yours is the first 993 I've seen with a clear to amber conversion on a C4 model. Great that you are going back to clear ones.

I've seen it before but on very cheap repair jobs, due to the clears being so exorbitantly expensive. It is good that it is documented by the previous owner... chacun a son gout!

I've already got the clear lenses ordered. I'm thinking of getting the ducted fog light conversion as I like the look of it and most OEM fog light lenses just don't look right to me for some reason (see I'm tinkering already).

Re the Raid, I have 340mm on my BMW. I've tried 320mm :eek: and you want to stay away from those unless you really do want a go cart. It is surprising how a mm make such a difference :grin: I know what you mean about the 340mm looking a little small but I remember thinking the same with the BMW but now I think it was the best mod I ever did to the car. The BMW also suffered from a bus size wheel that was too thin. Reducing the diameter and increasing the thickness not only looked better but really transformed the tactile drive of the car and made cornering so much more fun.

Not the best of vids of it in action:
http://youtu.be/OzzsijbuMaw

IMG_2483.jpg

I'm itching to get one ordered but I should really wait until I've got the car and driven it more to decide :frustrated:

Re the suspension the dampers and some other related bits and bobs where replaced by Ninemeister a few thousand miles ago together with belts etc... and full geometry check so should do me OK for year one before I consider a full suspension refurb. Given the history with the car I'm sure whatever was needed would have been done within the last 5k miles.

The car comes with a 3 month / 3,000 mile in house Strasse warranty. So my plan is to run it for a couple of months and then get an indy to check it over for any jobs that need doing before the warranty expires. I believe there are some great indy's around my area (Ninemeister, Unit 9, Hartech, etc...) Any recommendations on the best one for a check over please let me know but I assume they are all capable of that task.

Must get off the internet and get some work done, well just one more google for 993 then :D

Lovely car - and a great spec and mileage!!

Welcome to the OCD club!

:thumb:

Great choice and depreciation proof

I paid £45000 for mine 12 years ago and with only two owners and 50,000 miles + full Porsche history I can't have lost much money

But my annual service bill is always around £2000 + VAT . The car needs a little more tlc than most , but worth every penny

Never to be sold!

Enjoy yours

Welcome aboard Jon

Dave from Strasse is a good guy, remember speaking to him about your car at the Boxster launch last year, not sure why it took a while to sell but sounds like its gone to a good home :thumb:

jonttt said:
Reducing the diameter and increasing the thickness not only looked better but really transformed the tactile drive of the car and made cornering so much more fun.

I've got a 340mm Raid fitted the same as Cyruspower's above, your findings above will be replicated in the 993, great upgrade.

Numbercruncher said:
Dave from Strasse is a good guy, remember speaking to him about your car at the Boxster launch last year, not sure why it took a while to sell but sounds like its gone to a good home :thumb:

I'm, not sure how long its been for sale but I know the last owner picked it up as part of a collection (trailored delivery) and did not drive it. It was then part ex'd against a low mileage 993 Turbo they got in which never went on open sale. This is the 3rd time they have sold this car in 8 years. Their story seemed to check out with the mileages and paperwork and was told to me by different people on different visits so I have no reason to doubt them.

They have 3 other 993's in stock and all are priced realistically given the dealer in house warranty that comes with them (which I prefer, I've had bad experiences of the off the shelf rebranded packages which are next to useless). They all seem genuine cars and I nearly bought a nice polar C4 they have in but the sports seats put me off it.

Also I think one of the beauties of a smaller indy is that they do not present cars in the same way as shall we say the more glamourous outfits. You have to be able to see past a bit of dirt here and there. I'm pretty sure a large part of the potential market for this type of car would have been put off before ever driving the car just on presentation. Those are the hidden gems (hopefully).

I've bought plenty of one owner cars off the trade unprepped over the years. I like to see them as they have really been looked after ;-)

ps thanks for the confirmation re the 340mm wheel. Your pushing me into getting one ordered :D

Re: 993

Bieldside said:
Great choice and depreciation proof

I paid £45000 for mine 12 years ago and with only two owners and 50,000 miles + full Porsche history I can't have lost much money

But my annual service bill is always around £2000 + VAT . The car needs a little more tlc than most , but worth every penny

Never to be sold!

Enjoy yours

Thats cheap motoring cost per smile :D

My last daily driver car cost my company £60k in depreciation in less than 24 months (I did put 70k miles on it though ;-)

Just adding my warm welcome jonttt. Bring out the sun.

:heat:

jonttt said:
Wow hollow spokes are in demand aren't they. I've had a few enquiries about them so thought it was worth clarifying that it was a nice surprise when I found they were on the car. As they are OEM and lighter than solid spokes they are an upgrade I would probably have done myself so have saved me some cash to spend on other things 8)

Thanks to those who offered and I don't need a chip shop in Grimsby :?:

I don't blame you on wanting to keep the hollows but who were the sneaky feckers going behind the scenes trying to purchase them should you have wanted to sell. :nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back